• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this coat too big for me?

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Feels comfortable and sits on my shoulders well but is it too long?
(Might not look like a useful picture immediately - sorry - but you can just make our the hem of my jeans sitting right at the bottom of the image).

Attachments

• PXL_20210330_110408485.jpg
    PXL_20210330_110408485.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 248

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks a little large. But, a lot depends on whether you would ever layer underneath it - would you ever wear with a blazer, for example?

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Possibly, although I mainly bought it to wear with something similar to what I have on here, which is jumper and jeans.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s an odd choice for a coat if you’re intention is to wear it with jeans and a sweatshirt. It looks too big. Perhaps it’s an optical illusion as your pants are in need of hemming.

stand with your arms out of your pockets.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
As requested ...

Attachments

• PXL_20210331_180145053~2.jpg
    PXL_20210331_180145053~2.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 238

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It could be a little big—but perhaps more to the point, I don’t think that it stylistically is a good match with your intended outfit. With it buttoned, it looks uninteresting and the silhouette is shapeless. The high top buttoning point doesn’t help. It would probably look much better unbuttoned (as many SB overcoats do).

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
It could be a little big—but perhaps more to the point, I don’t think that it stylistically is a good match with your intended outfit. With it buttoned, it looks uninteresting and the silhouette is shapeless. The high top buttoning point doesn’t help. It would probably look much better unbuttoned (as many SB overcoats do).
Yes, I would mainly wear it unbuttoned for stylish effect, unless it was cold! I buttoned it for the pictures because I thought it might be better for judging the fit. Behold it in its unbuttoned glory:
PXL_20210331_183432353.jpg

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
I also try it with a tailored jacket, but maybe because I didn't choose the right jacket, I wasn't that happy with it. Although, looking at the pic again now, perhaps it's not completely terrible?
PXL_20210331_181511070.jpg

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
I got this coat with the intention it would be a very casual piece, but from some of the comments here, maybe I got that wrong? I have another (far more expensive) overcoat - this one was bought for pennies on eBay - that's more structured, that I would wear with suits and tailoring.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is much better unbuttoned, yes. If it’s cold out I’d add a thicker sweater or scarf before buttoning it. Of course if it’s truly cold then you’ll need to button it to stay warm. I’d cuff those jeans.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That coat does look kind of big, but it's raglan sleeved. I think it can be ok for raglan sleeved overcoats to be roomy and sometimes I prefer them that way.

If I were in your position, I would take this look:

PXL_20210331_183432353.jpeg

And try that with slightly wider pants. The pants in that pic look like they're a bit too slim. I've also noticed that, in many of your photos, the trousers look too long, such that there are multiple breaks at the bottom. I would try bringing those to a tailor and ask them to be hemmed for the shoes you plan to wear with them (bring the shoes with you). It will give you a cleaner looking leg line.

I dig the suede chukkas.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Thanks. Yeah, these trousers were bought a few years ago when I always tended towards slim-fit - these days I prefer a less form-fitting leg.
I do always get my trousers tailored, but I have a feeling I've not got the measurements quite right as since I've started taking pictures I have noticed they often look a bit too long. I guess it could be down to shoes, as you suggest - when I was last measured by a tailor and told my leg measurement was 30" I was wearing shoes. All the pictures I post now tend to involve ankle-high boots, which I guess would make those trousers break differently (i.e look too long).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads