• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this a new look?

Phil

Reaction score
Alias - I agree, guy # 1 would look alright. Me, dressed as guy # 1 would not. Its all about your age, your body, etc. Its the 45 year old guy with a gut who tries to cram himself into a prada suit is who I have the issues with. same thing here. a rail thin, ironically cool hipster, 22 years old, probably has to beat the women away wearing guy #1's outfit.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guy #1 looks like an idiot, or at least like someone desparately trying to look like a rock star.
Definatly agreed with guy #2 looking classic and good. The guys I was describing all fall into #1 though. I like the Levis 501 look as well.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm not an old guy with a gut. In fact, I'm 22, but I don't want to be an ironically cool hipster.

What if you take Guy #1's outfit, toss out the ridiculous flared jeans with silly washes, black shirt, silly pointy-toed shoes, and replace them with reasonably-cut jeans (I prefer medium-rise, slightly bootcut myself), a good dress shirt, and chisel-toed chelsea boots?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does this mean that the shirt must be shorter than both the jacket and the sweater? Thanks.

No, the shirt should be longer than the sweater (or else he sweater is *way* too long, but shorter than the jacket, unless the jacket is cut really short, like a western style sportsjacket.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suit Jacket (maybe a worn in corduroy blazer, simple classic blue blazer. Something tweedy, maybe a heavy chalkstripe flannel. in the summer a tan linen sportcoat
Shirt - university stripe shirt, oxford shirt, something like that
tie- repp tie, or something thicker in the winter
jeans - old 501's, NOT tight. if not the levis, something normal, that a 30-50 year old man can wear and not look absurd
shoes - chukka boots, in suede or brown calf. maybe a pair of heavily brougued oxfords, double leather soled.

Yeah, that could look all right. Not highrise, tapered jeans though. A straight fit (not "relaxed" fit) jeans with a low-medium rise (just under the waist, but not hanging off the hips) would look just fine. Still, the shirt should be fitted, and now that I think about it, of a rougher cloth (like an oxford cloth), not ironed to perfection (I would recommend a soft, slightly out of shape collar) and not all sleek and Dolce Gabbana'd. And definitely, the jacket should be slim and of a rougher cloth. No boxy jacket. Chukka boots would go great. Shabby chic works. If you're going for this look, don't be too anal about it. It is a weekend look, after all.

Guy number 1 can look alright, but is very likely trying too hard. If he has lots of hair product and looks all gym toned, he may as well be in an ad for Tom of Finland.

Brian SD

Reaction score
At the risk of looking "emo," I like to wear a brown argyle sweater with a white or pink untucked shirt underneath so the tail slightly sticks out at the bottom, and a slim navy blazer with fitted, straight-leg jeans. It's just too hot in San Diego to wear it right now
sad.gif

color_reporter

Reaction score
Well I'm a slave to trend and trying to imitate this look.

I'm going to have my jacket (in black) made and there are three choices of fabric: wool/poly blend, worsted wool, and super 100s. What would be most recommended for this look? Quality-wise, I guess super 100s is the best but would it look too dressy? My understanding is that it has the kind of sheen that executive suits have. To be honest I don't really know what worsted wool means either. I searched the forum but only came with information there had been a thread on different wool grades but couldn't find the actual thread (to my experience searching doesn't really work well).

Oh yeah.. it would be a very fitted jacket.

raley

Reaction score
Where do you generally find your slim fit cool/interesting jackets to go with jeans? Since they are not just suit jackets, there has to be some stores/companies that carry things that are good for this. I am trying to expand my wardrobe and wouldn't mind getting something so I could try a look like this.

Phil

Reaction score
A fairly cheap option is Hilfiger. They have some interesting blazers, with dual vents, 3 buttons, slim fitting. not the most well made items, but great styling for the price point.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where do you generally find your slim fit cool/interesting jackets to go with jeans?  Since they are not just suit jackets, there has to be some stores/companies that carry things that are good for this.  I am trying to expand my wardrobe and wouldn't mind getting something so I could try a look like this.
Just make sure the fabric on the jacket is strong enough to stand up to the jeans. This is why suit jackets for the most part can't be worn alone. Look for designer sport coats to go with jeans. Try Saks or Barney's for the best/most options. As for brands, try Hilfiger and Polo for an introduction. Upwards from there is Varvatos, Prada, Dolce and Gabbana, Z Zegna, etc...

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The right linen jacket (SB 3-Button, fitted) will look great with a pair of jeans; the same is true with a nice velvet jacket, particularly darker colors (black, dark burgundy, etc...). Suit jackets do not look good with jeans. Nor do ties, if you wear a pair of jeans with a velvet / linen jacket, just forgo the tie and use a nice fitting, matching shirt with the collar buttons undone (one or two is fine, three is a bit much...).

Shoes should match the outfit, so unless you have a pair of double monk strap Lobb's that mimics sneakers...leave the dress shoes for dressier outfits. A nice pair of casual To Boot New York's should do the trick.

Jon. (who has never attempted the look, but has seen it and knows that if properly done, can be pulled off)

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A fairly cheap option is Hilfiger.  They have some interesting blazers, with dual vents, 3 buttons, slim fitting. not the most well made items, but great styling for the price point.
I have a one-button Armani suit, ventless; the coat goes great with jeans.  I think it has to do with the way the coat hugs my body.  The one-button thing is quite versatile.  It also works as a tux.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suit jackets do not look good with jeans.

Depends on the cut and the material. In general, I find that a more fitted and/or more textured suit jacket works just fine. I personally prefer twill, corduroy and moleskin, but there are lots of variations that will also work - the Armani crepe that JohnApril refers to is probably fine. Linen works too, but it reminds me of 1) preppies and 2) Miami Vice; and I'll be having neither of those, thank you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads