• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

is there any benefit to non-selvedge denim?

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Serged outseams don't leave the long rash down your leg after a rainstorm like selvage does.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Generally non-selvedge denim tends to be lower in price...
That's pretty much the only "benefit" i can think of.

There are other characteristics such as no leg-twist, but i wouldn't assume that leg-twist would be a pro or con characteristic of non-selvedge denim.

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Money
like the title asks. Are there any benefits to denim that isnt selvedge?

There are thousands of benefits of denim.

But I assume your poorly worded question is asking if non selvedge denim has any benefits ABOVE or BEYOND selvedge denim.

But no, selvedge is vastly superior. If you aren't wearing selvedge you might as well kill yourself and hope someone has the decency to come and piss on your stupid ass corpse.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mazda

But I assume your poorly worded question is asking if non selvedge denim has any benefits ABOVE or BEYOND selvedge denim.

But no, selvedge is vastly superior. If you aren't wearing selvedge you might as well kill yourself and hope someone has the decency to come and piss on your stupid ass corpse.

I love your ****, but the mystique is kinds ruined by the fact that you came here as a nice dude offering gap coupons.

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
I love your ****, but the mystique is kinds ruined by the fact that you came here as a nice dude offering gap coupons.

Yeah the fact I'm genuinely helpful often ruins my rants in real life too.

A friend the other night interrupted my tirade about how his girlfriend should **** her wrists with an old nail file because she watched real housewives to inform me I would make a lot better asshole if I hadn't just stopped the bartender from killing a lizard so that I could catch it and let it go outside. ******* dick, the GF was just about to start crying.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The benefit about non-selvage denim is that I don't give a **** if I lose it.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kiya
There are other characteristics such as no leg-twist, but i wouldn't assume that leg-twist would be a pro or con characteristic of non-selvedge denim.
i thought leg twist came from chain stitching of the hem. at least that's what i got from miz's new thread. is it selvedge if you chop off the selvedge?
patch[1].gif

Kent Money

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mazda

poorly worded? seems like most folks around here got the point.

get off the high horse *****

(PS, ill take a Gap coupon)

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth
The benefit about non-selvage denim is that I don't give a **** if I lose it.

I have spent well over half of the last ten years drunk off ****** and I can't say I lost a pair of pants. Do tell.

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
i thought leg twist came from chain stitching of the hem. at least that's what i got from miz's new thread. is it selvedge if you chop off the selvedge?
patch[1].gif

I think "roping" (the twisting effect at the hem that resembles a rope) is the phenomenon caused, or at least enhanced, by chainstitching. I was under the impression that all jeans except those made of broken-twill denim are naturally prone to "leg twist" (where the legs twist clockwise or counter-clockwise depending on the direction of the twill), as it's simply the fabric's way of relieving tension in the weave. Although apparently it has mostly been eliminated in modern denim by "skewing" (if oki-ni's denim glossary is to be believed). And selvedge denim is still selvedge denim if you cut off the selvedge line, as long as it was produced with old-fashioned shuttle looms. There are jeans that are made of selvedge denim that do not retain the selvedge line (APC NC, for example).

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've lost several jeans, pants and shirts through various means. e.g. 1) Being hastily chased out of the apartment because boyfriend/ husband is coming home or parents are back (some I got back later, others are lost forever), 2) left in hotel wardrobe, hostels that sort of thing, nothing out of the ordinary.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads