• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it ok to eat after work-out ?

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
short answer = your fine if you eat responsbily. If you think a 12" meatball marinara is what you want then your wasting your time at the gym and will actually be doing worse for your body.

Im on your same schedule. back from the gym 9-9:30 ish and in bed 11ish. I drink a protein shake pre workout so im not hungry and post workout I grill up a chicken breast, eat half & save the rest and mix with a SMALL salad or portion of veggies. Just enough to get nutrients into your body, but NOT to get full and bloated. Satisfied is fine.

Borrelli

Reaction score
No big deal, just don't overeat. Try to eat at least something before the workout and then a healthy, not too big meal after. Like Davidko19 said.

In France and Italy, dinner is mostly after 10pm, those countries are not known for their fat people now, are they?

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by danilo
I would say take some stuff with you so you can eat immediately after your workout on your way home from work. An apple and some peanut butter.

When you get home (since you're eating so late) have some lean protein and some veggies. That is kinda late to be eating, but what can you do... you gotta eat.

laugh.gif

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
You should be fine as long as you eat soon.

However, DO NOT, under any circumstances, eat after midnight.

gizmpillow.jpg

As said, it depends on what you already ate that day. Nonetheless, not eating anything after your workout is probably not a good idea. By the way, there is some discussion regarding eating late in the evening - on one side you have the people who say it gets you fat, on the other side are the people generally advocating for intermittent fasting.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Borrelli
No big deal, just don't overeat. Try to eat at least something before the workout and then a healthy, not too big meal after. Like Davidko19 said.

In France and Italy, dinner is mostly after 10pm, those countries are not known for their fat people now, are they?

It's different when your meal is pasta with tomato sauce as opposed to two quarter pounders and fries.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
It's different when your meal is pasta with tomato sauce as opposed to two quarter pounders and fries.

i wouldnt even do pasta at night. Too many carbs just sitting in the tank overnight.

Go with some lean protein and greens or maybe a half cup of brown rice if you must. You dont need to get stuffed. Make sure you have a big breakfast in the morning. Its really not that time consuming to make a quick omellete in the morning. I do it daily and the eggs make me feel full and give hella energy.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's best to wait 24 hours after a workout before eating. If you forget this meal, 48 hours afterward is an acceptable second choice, but don't do 36 no matter what.

Rikkar501

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AmbassadorCA
oh..it;s like this...I usually run for 40 min and play some sports (tennis, squash etc) for the rest of time.
Whoa, that's not even a workout! That's just a cardio session, all you need to do is drink a protein shake (maybe) and then ponder why the hell you wasted 2.5 hours in the gym as you fall asleep. No offense.
Originally Posted by why
Please elaborate.
Allow me. Pasta is a carb overload; carbs are used for energy. What energy do you need while sleeping? End of discussion. Actually, for anyone attempting to maintain a lean physic pasta should be avoided. There is absolutely no reason your body needs that many carbs, unless you are preparing to run a marathon or something. And professional marathon runners are hardly concerned with a lean physic, as they are already emaciated.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rikkar501
Whoa, that's not even a workout! That's just a cardio session, all you need to do is drink a protein shake (maybe) and then ponder why the hell you wasted 2.5 hours in the gym as you fall asleep. No offense.
laugh.gif

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rikkar501
Allow me. Pasta is a carb overload; carbs are used for energy. What energy do you need while sleeping? End of discussion. Actually, for anyone attempting to maintain a lean physic pasta should be avoided. There is absolutely no reason your body needs that many carbs, unless you are preparing to run a marathon or something. And professional marathon runners are hardly concerned with a lean physic, as they are already emaciated.

So what happens to the carbohydrates?

Rikkar501

Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
So what happens to the carbohydrates?

Ok, when you ingest a meal like pasta that is loaded with carbs it causes your insulin to spike. Insulin puts your body into storage mode, which is great if you are working out or breaking your 8 hour fast known as sleep. But if you spike your insulin at any other time, your fat loss comes to a standstill for 4-5 hours and your body actually begins to store fat. Definitely not something you want to do right before you go to bed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads