• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Guinness the best beer ever?

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**** man, a good Shepards Pie with an afternoon of Guinness Pints is the ultimate afternoon.

K

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
**** man, a good Shepards Pie with an afternoon of Guinness Pints is the ultimate afternoon.

K

exactly.. especially on a sunny afternoon in Dublin...

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
exactly.. especially on a sunny afternoon in Dublin...

I dont spend much time in Dublin, but it sounds perfect to me when I'm in a warm cozy pub on a cold rainy winter day in London.

Add in 3-4 good friends and a Trivial Pursuit and I'm all over it like a fat kid on an M&M.

K

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My one recommendation is Natural Light
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I had to pick a single beer to drink Paulaner Salvator would probably top the list. A beer originally brewed by monks as a solid food replacement during Lent is a truly special drink.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Proof.
Raise a pint of Guinness to your good health By KEVIN HUNT Hartford Courant Posted: April 3, 2004 A man walks into a bar, orders a 12-ounce bottle of Corona Extra. Another man walks in, orders a 12-ounce Guinness draft. Guinness, besides providing the required satisfaction, is said to be a veritable trove of goodness. (UW Study A University of Wisconsin study last fall found that moderate consumption of Guinness worked like aspirin to prevent clots that increase the risk of heart attacks.) The two men turn to each other, raise their glasses and say, "Here's to your health." Question: Whose dietary and health interests are better served by the 12-ounce beer? If the guidelines are less alcohol, fewer calories, fewer carbohydrates - and, to top it off, protection against heart attacks, blindness and maybe even impotence - then it's the Guinness drinker, hands down. No joke. Guinness, in fact, is lower in alcohol, calories and carbohydrates than Samuel Adams, Budweiser, Heineken and almost every other major-brand beer not classified as light or low-carb. It has fewer calories and carbohydrates than low-fat milk and orange juice, too. Could this be the same Irish stout that looks like a still-life root beer float and tastes about as filling as a Quarter Pounder with cheese? Yes, the same Guinness that beer expert Michael Jackson (the British king of hops) calls the world's classic dry stout. It's a favorite of Bono (obviously), Madonna (with a good cigar) and Matt Damon (no, Guinness does not make teeth unnaturally white). Low in alcohol This tastes-great, more-filling formula defies nutritional expectations because Guinness is so low in alcohol, a source of empty calories. Guinness is 4.2% alcohol by volume, the same as Coors Light. Budweiser and Heineken check in at 5%. "That surprised me," says Joseph Brennan, a Yale-New Haven Hospital cardiologist of Irish heritage and a confirmed Guinness drinker. "I could never understand why one or two wouldn't leave me light-headed." Brennan, like many cardiologists, recommends a drink a day for his cardiac patients. Red wine, in particular, has been shown to help prevent heart attacks. Now, maybe it's beer's turn. A University of Wisconsin study last fall found that moderate consumption of Guinness worked like aspirin to prevent clots that increase the risk of heart attacks. Take, er, drink your vitamins In the study, Guinness proved twice as effective as Heineken at preventing blood clots. Guinness is loaded with flavonoids, anti-oxidants that give the dark color to many fruits and vegetables. These anti-oxidants are better than vitamins C and E, the study found, at keeping bad LDL cholesterol from clogging arteries. Blocked arteries also contribute to erectile dysfunction, as does overindulgence in alcohol. Guinness has a higher concentration than lighter beers of vitamin B, which lowers levels of homocysteine, linked to clogged arteries. And researchers have found that anti-oxidants from the moderate use of stout might reduce the incidence of cataracts by as much as 50%. In Ireland, where the slogan "Guinness Is Good for You" was born, the stout's medicinal uses are the stuff of legend. Diageo, the U.S. distributor of Guinness, makes no claims about its medical benefits, spokeswoman Beth Davies says from the company's offices in Stamford, Conn. But a visitor to Ireland might hear accounts (most no longer, if ever, true) of Guinness administered to nursing mothers, blood donors, stomach and intestinal post-operative patients and mothers recovering from childbirth. "Pregnant women and racehorses, one a day," says Michael Foley of Wethersfield, Conn., standing over a pint of Guinness in the subterranean bar at the Irish American Home Society in Glastonbury, Conn. Racehorses? Foley, who left Castlemaine, County Kerry, 43 years ago but retains a Guinness-thick brogue, returns a cocked-head glance that says, loosely translated from Gaelic, "Duh." "It's made from barley, you know," he says.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had my first taste of it today and I believe that it's my foray into "good" beer. I enjoyed it.

Happydayz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unpainted huffheinz
If I had to pick a single beer to drink Paulaner Salvator would probably top the list. A beer originally brewed by monks as a solid food replacement during Lent is a truly special drink.
You absolutely must go to Munich then for the Starkbierfest. Largest beer fest in Munich second only to Oktoberfest, which means none of the rowdy and voyeuristic tourists to deal with. It's a March celebration tied to Lent that involves copious amounts of Salvator being drunk at the Paulaner brewery. They have a huge beer hall that gets filled to capacity and giant 1 liter mugs of Salvator can be had for 6 euro. For those unfamiliar of the background:
The story goes that in morally stricter times, monks brewed extra strong beer to help get them through lent. The alcohol content of Starkbier is higher than that of normal beer and is produced by all the major breweries.
I believe it's a 9-10% brew. But it is absolutely delicious and the extra alcoholic content is unnoticeable. A dangerous thing when you are drinking out of 1 liter mugs in a festive atmosphere

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drinking some Guinness right now. Actually had Old Rasputin a couple days ago, forgot how good it was too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads