• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is getting shirts altered an okay idea?

mikeman

Reaction score
I recently bought some shirts from J crew in a medium, I used to wear a small, but the chest pulls a bit. Anyway, I used to be able to wear the shirts either tucker or untucked, and the length wasn't an issue. The mediums seem to be a bit long, and a bit too wide in the waist area. Do you guys ever get your shirts shortened and taken in a bit? If so, where should a shirt fall to be okay to wear tucked or untucked? Any info would be great.

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently bought some shirts from J crew in a medium, I used to wear a small, but the chest pulls a bit. Anyway, I used to be able to wear the shirts either tucker or untucked, and the length wasn't an issue. The mediums seem to be a bit long, and a bit too wide in the waist area. Do you guys ever get your shirts shortened and taken in a bit? If so, where should a shirt fall to be okay to wear tucked or untucked? Any info would be great.

I do this all the time. Should be easy for a tailor. Typically an untucked shirt should be shorter; however, if you want to wear that same shirt tucked later, it will have a harder time staying tucked. Sometimes I get some shortened and taken in, other times, i just get them taken in.

eluther

Reaction score
I think it's a myth that you can wear the same shirt tucked in and untucked unless you have much higher-than-average rise trousers for tucking the shirt in (12-13"). Epaulet's trousers (not chinos) are good for this, specifically.

For untucked, the side seam should fall at the bottom of your belt line(-ish). If you try tucking in a shirt that's only that long, you're going to fuss with it all day. For shirts you tuck in, I generally like them to fall almost to my crotch.

However, it's never a bad idea to get your shirts altered. Spending $15 to get a $65 dollar shirt taken in is going to make it look much nicer than most $80 shirts.

mikeman

Reaction score
Alright. It just sucks because I work in a casual place were I dont have to wear an "dress' shirt, but I do tuck them in, but once I get home and throw on some jeans; then its untucked...

As for the tapering, is there any good guidelines to follow, as to not get them too slim?

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I generally wouldn't wear a shirt that is meant to be tucked in untucked, as the long tails look sloppy. There are shirts designed to be worn untucked, which have a much more finished look and design to the hem.

In terms of how tapered, etc, you should go to the tailor and let him pin the shirt while you wear it. That will let you see how it will look after the alterations are done. If you are happy with the look, go for it. I'm sure there are limits to how much a shirt can be taken in before looking "off" so let your tailor advise you on that.

mikeman

Reaction score
What generally distinguishes a shirt that should be tucked, and one that is ment to be worn out? Just the length of the tails?

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What generally distinguishes a shirt that should be tucked, and one that is ment to be worn out? Just the length of the tails?
A shirt meant to be untucket will have a hem than generally lacks tails. It may have vestiges of them, but for the most part, runs straight across. It will also not have any exposed laundry care tags and spare buttons near the hem, like a lot of dress shirts do.

mikeman

Reaction score
Alright, here is some quick pictures of one of the shirts. Let me know what you guys think could be fixed.

Last edited:

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the color! It is definitely too long and it almost "balloons" out at the bottom. You would have to tuck this in - but it might cause a muffin-top look. It is never a bad idea to tuck button-down shirts in casually, either. I would get that tailored.
Alright, here is some quick pictures of one of the shirts. Let me know what you guys think could be fixed.

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You look pretty thin - maybe buying slim fit is a good option for you. I'm not thin and I even buy slim fit. It just helps get rid of excess fabric.

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That shirt looks much too large to be altered.

Slightly off topic, but how much are you guys typically paying to get sides taken in? I was previously having my shirts darted (tailor charged $15) and requested some new ones to be taken in instead. He wanted $25 for it, which seemed reasonable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads