• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is corduroy back in vogue?

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
corduroy is just a material, if you have a garment that fits well and happens to be made out of it, then I don't see why it wouldn't work. The pieces I personally own are the "corduroy jeans" by uniqlo, usually sold only the F/W. To be honest they have much better fades than the few pairs of jeans I own. Mainly because I wore them 90% of the time when I go to school and sit in lectures for 4-6 hours as they were more comfortable. My cord jeans look nothing like the cord slacks that Bobo is wearing stylewise, although that works well for him. There's nothing inherently retro IMO about corduroy, even though it was made popular in the 70's, it has been selling all along and has been modernized for the most part. If you were wearing a pair of bell-bottom cords that hugged your ass, I can see why your friends though you were retro, but I am sure that you weren't and that your friends just aren't as knowledgeable about clothing as others.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aperipan
I got myself some RL brown corduroy slacks for summer. They are basically jeans for suburbanites but my friends are giving me the "he got retro fever" looks.
cheers.gif

Corduroy is great, but not for summer.

delirium

Reaction score
lol it's corduroy
not tie dye...
is denim going out of style? ...

__CB__

Reaction score
I don't mind it for pants or jackets, but its gotta be thin wale - used to rock really thick cords in high school, and its not a fashion period of my life I plan on revisiting.

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cords still remind me of the stoner bunouts in college who all seemed to wear giant disgusting thrift corduroy. More often then not their couches would also be made out of corduroy.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have two pairs of jcrew cords.

One is a thick wale trouser cut in brown. It fits kind of baggy and the fabric is pretty heavy.

The other is a 5 pocket jeans cut (vintage or something like that) in an olive green with thin wale. It fits slim and the fabric is light.

I wore the brown ones for a little while...until my mom sent me the olive ones (I think they were from marshalls/tjmaxx as the size tags dont match...in one place they say 34x32 and in another 32x34..this has prevented me from ordering more online without trying on since I dont know what size I have).

Now the brown ones don't really get touched but I love wearing the olive ones.

Cas Ruffin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Epaulet
I love corduroy. I wear it every year. I've got blazers, shirts, and pants. All narrow-wale.

What do you guys think of corduroy suits? Thinking about getting a slim one in dark brown or black.

Something like this image below. But please disregard the fact that he's clutching silk, wearing sunglasses inside, possibly wearing purple shoes, and generally looking like an ass.

james_fabrics.jpg

And WTF - why is he standing on the silk!

I'm not really feeling corduroy, but I guess it all depends on fit.

This guy looks like he's making it work.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I like wearing my Levis straight cords occasionally. Usually too warm in spring and summer to wear them much though. Good for fall and winter.

hamish5178

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
I think narrow gauge cords are alright, if its super wide gauge corduroy not so much.

Not that I could rock them appropriately, but if they're good enough for him. . .

ST3004~Bob-Dylan-Studio-Posters.jpg

Aperipan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I have a corduroy three-piece suit.

do you have pics?

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hamish5178
Not that I could rock them appropriately, but if they're good enough for him. . .

ST3004~Bob-Dylan-Studio-Posters.jpg

reason 754 not to wear cords.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads