• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is an Omega Seamaster appropriate at my age?

tqd1

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am double-guessing the idea of buying an Omega Seamaster and wanted to hear some other people's opinions.

My background:

I am 24 years old, turning 25 soon. Personally, I am debt free, have a good income/secure job, drive a paid off BMW 3-series, and have a good amount of savings ($40K or so). I will probably go to graduate school in the next couple of years, and I'll need money for that.

Work environment:

I work in Finance at a small firm, where most of the top guys (including my boss) tend to be understated and/or just don't care what they wear. They generally wear polo shirts and low-end watches. There's a few guys in our office in middle-management who have Breitlings, Omegas, etc. but none of the top guys wear these watches. The top guys are very well off, but they just don't care about clothes or watches.

The watch:

I've had my eyes on an Omega Seamaster Professional for a while. Actually, I've probably wanted one since I graduated college but always talked myself out of it. I have the opportunity to buy one in excellent condition, only about a year old, automatic movement, for $900. This is a steal of a price, in my opinion, but I still find myself talking myself out of it once again.

My questions for you:

1) Does such a watch look out of place on someone in their mid-20s?

2) If everyone at work is fairly understated, would this possibly upset the status quo for a junior-level person to wear a watch like this?

3) Given my financial situaton, and the fact that I am probably going to graduate school in the next couple of years and will need cash to pay for it -- does this purchase make sense?

Thanks in advance for all of your thoughts!

smp11.jpg

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What did you go to school for? Why do you have a job? Wasnt it to support yourself and purchase what you want? You have been thinking about getting that watch for too long now! Just buy it!

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1) No
2) No
3) You're the only one who can answer this, you or Suze Ormond

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to collect nice watches, and I'm 22 (sold them recently for college/bills/etc.)

I had a Seamaster 2254.50 3 times, and many Breitlings, Rolex, etc. so here is my opinion:

1) No, that is a good entry level quality watch that gos with any style of clothing. It is not blingy, and most people won't even notice it. AGAIN, most people won't even notice it. If you're trying to get noticed, you'll be very disappointed. I used to wear a polished stainless steel Breitling that was much too big for me, and I think one person commented on it.

2) If all else fails, say your rich uncle or parents got it for you asa grad present, that's not uncommon. If you have a steady job and income, then no reason you can't buy it yourself either. I wouldn't worry about this, as most people won't notice it or know it's expensive.

3) Watches are great in that they hold their value. Get familiar with Timezone.com (you may already be, that's a good price) and you can always resell it if you need to.

A nice quote I heard is "as far as "tool" watches go, there aren't many situations a gold Rolex can't get you out of." Meaning, you can always sell the thing.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tqd1
1) Does such a watch look out of place on someone in their mid-20s?
smp11.jpg

It really doesn't (I bought my Submariner when I was 19).

And that's a great looking Seamaster.

tqd1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by longskate88
I used to collect nice watches, and I'm 22 (sold them recently for college/bills/etc.)

I had a Seamaster 2254.50 3 times, and many Breitlings, Rolex, etc. so here is my opinion:

1) No, that is a good entry level quality watch that gos with any style of clothing. It is not blingy, and most people won't even notice it. AGAIN, most people won't even notice it. If you're trying to get noticed, you'll be very disappointed. I used to wear a polished stainless steel Breitling that was much too big for me, and I think one person commented on it.

2) If all else fails, say your rich uncle or parents got it for you asa grad present, that's not uncommon. If you have a steady job and income, then no reason you can't buy it yourself either. I wouldn't worry about this, as most people won't notice it or know it's expensive.

3) Watches are great in that they hold their value. Get familiar with Timezone.com (you may already be, that's a good price) and you can always resell it if you need to.

A nice quote I heard is "as far as "tool" watches go, there aren't many situations a gold Rolex can't get you out of." Meaning, you can always sell the thing.

Thanks for the thoughtful post. Can you elaborate on why you sold them, and why you went through so many watches?

Also, do you know what the service interval is like on these watches?

tqd1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by longskate88

Also, to hit on this point. Does this also mean that this watch would not be a magnet for thieves? Should I feel comfortable wearing this watch on a daily basis in a large city? I know that Rolex tends to attract robbers quite a bit, and people have to be careful on when and where they decide to wear their Rolex.

Anyone care to play devil's advocate and convince on me on why I should NOT buy this watch?
smile.gif

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughtful post. Can you elaborate on why you sold them, and why you went through so many watches? Also, do you know what the service interval is like on these watches?
First, I never kept one long enough to have to service it
blush.gif
The Omega 1120 is extremely robust, they recommend every 5 years, but you could go as long as 10 years or until it starts losing time. If you swim/shower with it though, service it more often since the gaskets are the weak point on most watches, and it could result in leaking. Some people here like shoes, I liked watches. Timezone is a great enabler, people are always posting pics of their new watch. Be careful, by the time you realize it, you could have had a nice new car/wardrobe/whatever with the money you'll spend on watches. I'm on a sunglasses kick right now, and let me tell you, watches hold their value MUCH better than sunglasses or clothing, when you buy them used. The Seamaster retails for $2100 or so, getting one for $900 will allow you to wear it for a LONG time, and the sell it for the same price ef you needed to. I had a Rolex Sub I bought for $3600, wore it for 6 months, and sold it for $3600...basically a free watch for 6 months. If I had been more patient, I could have made some $$. I'm not rich or anything, I would buy one at a time for a good price in the sales corner on Timezone, then sell it without losing much if I decided to look for something new. My only advice is: buy what YOU like, not what you think other people will comment on or think you're cool for wearing
devil.gif
If you need any specific recommendations, PM me, I've had just about every popular watch in the $500-$5000 price bracket. I would say buy it, and hold until the economy recovers. You might even make a few $ if you decide to sell, as prices are down right now on the used market.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, to hit on this point. Does this also mean that this watch would not be a magnet for thieves? Should I feel comfortable wearing this watch on a daily basis in a large city? I know that Rolex tends to attract robbers quite a bit, and people have to be careful on when and where they decide to wear their Rolex. Anyone care to play devil's advocate and convince on me on why I should NOT buy this watch?
smile.gif

I never experienced this, but if you live it a bad neighborhood, don't do anything stupid. Thieves probably won't know what brand it is until you're handing it to them with a gun to your back, if it comes to that. If you're unsure, you can always slip it into your pocket.

Aperipan

Reaction score
Omega is a refined brand. It's one of the few brands that don't scream douchebags when a young person wears it. However, you're not that "young". I would have problems seeing a 12 years old with the pictured watch but certainly not someone at 24. My uncle is a jeweler and I've rented his Vacherons on a few occasions no one seems to mind and I'm even younger than you are.

tqd1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Aperipan
Omega is a refined brand. It's one of the few brands that don't scream douchebags when a young person wears it. However, you're not that "young". I would have problems seeing a 12 years old with the pictured watch but certainly not someone at 24. My uncle is a jeweler and I've rented his Vacherons on a few occasions no one seems to mind and I'm even younger than you are.

Good point. Thank you! I work around people that are much older, so it tends to make me feel younger than I really am.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads