• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is a midnight blue dinner jacket allowed on a black tie wedding?

JEF079

Reaction score
As I am invited to my first black tie wedding I am wondering if it is allowed to arrive in a midnight blue dinner jacket. Or should I just go for the traditional black dinner jacket?

When you are wearing a blue dinner jacket, should the cummerbund and/or trousers be blue as well?

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The cummerbund should match the lapel facings, so it depends on what those are. I've seen many midnight blue dinner jackets with black silk facings, which should make things easy regarding the cummerbund. I don't know if they ever come with midnight blue facings unless they are self-faced.

Anthony Jordan

Reaction score
That should be fine, especially if the wedding is an evening one-in which case it is unlikely to be noticeable. As to facings, speaking only from a vintage perspective, there is precedent for ribbed silk facings in midnight blue but the style itself is not common. As has been said, it is desirable for accessories to match the facing but not, I think, essential. I have happily worn a black tie with a midnight - faced dinner jacket before. The trousers, however, I would say must match the material of the jacket.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whilst evening dress is quite wrong at a wedding (except in the US) midnight blue is no worse a sin.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why is evening dress wrong for a wedding, provided it takes place in the evening?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Whilst evening dress is quite wrong at a wedding (except in the US) midnight blue is no worse a sin.

Evening dress is very wrong at daytime weddings in the opinion of Americans of taste and discrimination, of which there are some few, believe it or not. Fine for evening weddings.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the dress code is black tie, wear black tie, regardless of if it's day or night. Nobody cares about distinctions made in 1920 about the appropriate time for each of 4 different forms of formalwear. The US has pretty well consolidated to one form of formalwear, appropriate at any hour, because any form of formalwear is needed only on incredibly rare occasion. For the vast majority of people, two levels of formalwear and different forms at each level for day and night makes absolutely no goddamn sense. That notion is quite dead.

In short, those whining about being asked to wear black tie to daytime weddings need to get the stick out of their ass and get over it. The world, and societal expectations with it, have changed.

OP, yes, a midnight blue dinner jacket is appropriate any time black tie is worn.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I agree with you, I really wish I had occasion to wear traditional English daytime formal wear.

If the dress code is black tie, wear black tie, regardless of if it's day or night. Nobody cares about distinctions made in 1920 about the appropriate time for each of 4 different forms of formalwear. The US has pretty well consolidated to one form of formalwear, appropriate at any hour, because any form of formalwear is needed only on incredibly rare occasion. For the vast majority of people, two levels of formalwear and different forms at each level for day and night makes absolutely no goddamn sense. That notion is quite dead.

In short, those whining about being asked to wear black tie to daytime weddings need to get the stick out of their ass and get over it. The world, and societal expectations with it, have changed.

OP, yes, a midnight blue dinner jacket is appropriate any time black tie is worn.

Hiras Fashion

Reaction score
A midnight blue dinner jacket is perfectly acceptable for black tie events - make that a custom made midnight blue dinner jacket.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Philistine! Frankly, anybody, at least in my part of the country, who would prescribe black tie for male guests at a wedding manages to be rigid, pretentious and inconsiderate since most men, regardless of economic status, will not have a black tie rig and be forced to undergo the inconvenience and expense of a rental, in addition to the cost of a gift and possible travel. And if they prescribe black-tie for daytime weddings, they are ignorant, lowbrow vulgarians into the bargain!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads