• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPhone / Wireless iPod Coming Soon?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
Styleforum highlight number 2080: when people let Slim loose in an Apple thread

I stumbled across a second hand G4 Cube the other day for $150 - think Ill go snap it up when I get back from Hanoi.

That sounds like a good deal; at the very least you can gut it and put something more modern in the case!

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
I have to agree with Slim. A lot of the draw of the iPod is due to the fact that Apple was the first company to manage to popularise through heavy marketing and full integration with their proprietary software the media player.

Are you sure about that? It looked to me like the iPods popularity caught them by surprise? I thought the heavy marketing (for all of their products) came afterwards once they realized how popular it was becoming. I remember when it came out (I think) they seemed to release it in the usual Mac way but then had to scramble to make it compatible for regular PCs because everyone wanted one. I could be wrong, this was just my impression.

If no one were interested in features like changable batteries and EQ settings, I wouldnt be bitching about it now would I... Just because you are willing to settle for mediocrity with superior marketing doesn't mean that those who don't are WEIRD.

How many people actually research what they might want in a music player, listen to a bunch of them to find out which ones sound the best, and then decide?
I don't think people want all that much "stuff" on their iPods. It seems like most people want something that works and plays music. (Not that I care either way)

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
I don't think people want all that much "stuff" on their iPods. It seems like most people want something that works and plays music. (Not that I care either way)
And video, and photos, and data storage, and limited PDA function, and text file access, and games! Wow, how sleek and simple! Too bad they couldn't put a stereo mic jack on it! Or allow you to change battery packs when the one it came with went dead after a year. You either have to void your warranty by making an "unauthorized alteration" to the product, or take it to one of the "Genius Bars" to pay $100 for a battery on a $300 year old peice of electronic equipment! That would make it far too complex! Nobody would want that! I just cannot fathom how some people can justify everything that Apple does as so "consumer friendly" and "design concious" and etc. It seems fairly obvious that there is a contingent of people who will buy an apple branded butt-plug if it costs $300, and comes in a white box. And that was your daily rant. I hope you enjoyed it!

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
... I just cannot fathom how some people can justify everything that Apple does as so "consumer friendly" and "design concious" and etc. It seems fairly obvious that there is a contingent of people who will buy an apple branded butt-plug if it costs $300, and comes in a white box. And that was your daily rant. I hope you enjoyed it!
Holy crap. Now there is an Apple presentation that Jobs would, uhm, find hard to deal with. The iPut. Easy. Slim. Apple. In a variety of tasty colours and optional tail attachments. The iPut. Just insert and go!
lol8[1].gif
P.s. will probably have some sort of firewire support, too!

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
On a related iPod note are there any other harddrive based MP3 players that are both Mac and PC compatible?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
On a related iPod note are there any other harddrive based MP3 players that are both Mac and PC compatible?

Basically any that are not reliant on proprietary software. The Archos AV line for instance, many iRiver devices, et.c. I can dig around for suggestions. One of the nicest around is the Toshiba S60 but like the iPods it needs proprietary software. I am expecting one in, will give you impressions soon.

Babar

Reaction score
And video, and photos, and data storage, and limited PDA function, and text file access, and games! Wow, how sleek and simple! Too bad they couldn't put a stereo mic jack on it! Or allow you to change battery packs when the one it came with went dead after a year. You either have to void your warranty by making an "unauthorized alteration" to the product, or take it to one of the "Genius Bars" to pay $100 for a battery on a $300 year old peice of electronic equipment! That would make it far too complex! Nobody would want that!
Actually, for the past couple of years or so, battery life has become one of the strong points of the iPod. They now play for well over 20 hours per charge and last for years. And how can you void your warranty by replacing it after a year anyway? No, you seem quite hyperbolic in your arguments imo.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Babar
And how can you void your warranty by replacing it after a year anyway?

I know someone who's video iPod battery needed to be changed after 10 months. Granted, he only had two months worth of warranty left on his ipod, had to pay the $100 anyways.

Apple batteries are not covered under warranty. As is much of life. The least they could do is let you open the thing up and let you change parts they accept no liability for.

Stax

Reaction score
I know someone who's video iPod battery needed to be changed after 10 months. Granted, he only had two months worth of warranty left on his ipod, had to pay the $100 anyways.

Apple batteries are not covered under warranty. As is much of life. The least they could do is let you open the thing up and let you change parts they accept no liability for.

I swapped out iPod batteries for about $15. There are lots of thrid party batteries you can get (including required tools and instructional DVD). Having said that, the fact that you need special tools and an instructional DVD speaks volumes.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stax
I swapped out iPod batteries for about $15. There are lots of thrid party batteries you can get (including required tools and instructional DVD). Having said that, the fact that you need special tools and an instructional DVD speaks volumes.
presuming that the ipod is still under warranty, pulling the back off it yourself to change the battery will mean the warranty is void should anything else go wrong later.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads