• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPhone 5

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am pretty much set on the 16gig iPhone 5.

I am not that big on music and will probably still use my iPod during commutes. Perhaps Pandora or something will take care of the music when I am on Wi-Fi.
Photos perhaps but I still like my S90 for traveling purposes.

For some reason aside from calling/texting the main purpose I will be using this smartphone for is GPS, reading/listening to the news, and documenting things via writing/photography... surfing the 'net goes without saying. Games will be at a minimal.

I'll be pretty happy the phone doesn't drop calls or shuts down on its own.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have a galaxy nexus from Verizon that I got back in December and I want to get an iPhone 5.. I'd obviously have to break my 2-year contract -- does that mean I'm going to have to pay the $749 (or however much it costs for an unlocked 32 gig ip5)?
Or do I get another 2 year contract with the subsidized price alongside a penalty fee for upgrading so soon?

Anyone?

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For some reason aside from calling/texting the main purpose I will be using this smartphone for is GPS, reading/listening to the news, and documenting things via writing/photography... surfing the 'net goes without saying. Games will be at a minimal.

+1

The only game I play is scramble with friends and I don't play it that often. Games on the phone are overrated IMO.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Re: the Appreciation comment

My friends puts his iPhone in a plastic ziplock back and has beat session while in the shower. When he told me I made nothing of it but now that I will be getting an iPhone too, it is kind of 'lol!'

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know about Verizon but for ATT there's 3 price tiers: $199 if upgrade eligible, $399 if partially upgrade eligible and I believe unsubsidized price if not eligible at all.

I would think Verizon has something similar.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Re: the Appreciation comment

My friends puts his iPhone in a plastic ziplock back and has beat session while in the shower. When he told me I made nothing of it but now that I will be getting an iPhone too, it is kind of 'lol!'

:eek:

lol well good for him

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question about the iCloud:

I have some videos on my phone (in my camera roll) now that's taking up a lot of space. If I do a full iCloud backup and delete the videos from my phone, what happens the next time I do a backup? Will the videos still be on my iCloud account or will it see that the videos are no longer on my phone and delete it from my cloud?

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IIRC they will still be on the cloud, there might be a setting for this, the cloud will allow you to stream your music and I would assume the same applies for videos. BUT as I said, when I first tried out the cloud it sucked.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

you have to pay the early term fee, then sign up for a new 2 year contract. Saving that, you can sell your phone, and buy the new iP5 at the unsubsizided price, and then have Verizon add it to your plan.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
16gig iPhone 5, decided on the 300mb plan for now since I am basically at Wi-Fi locations half the day and near CPUs

Also ordered the $20 adapter..

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

IIRC they will still be on the cloud, there might be a setting for this, the cloud will allow you to stream your music and I would assume the same applies for videos. BUT as I said, when I first tried out the cloud it sucked.

Thanks, I'll just use the computer then

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buying it unlocked would have been cheaper... Unless you got the 32/64GB version.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
well nvm folks, just preordered a white 32g on at&t for $299.

gonna cancel my verizon order and port over my number back to at&t from verizon, so i'll have to pay the ETF.

Reasons:
1) 4G/LTE is generally faster on ATT than Verizon where available (thanks Blairh for leading me to figure this out a week or so ago)
2) A study by CNET showed that 4G is faster than Verizon in Dallas AND Boston -- the two major cities I spend my time in
3) My apartment gets ****** Verizon reception, but my roommate, who has ATT, gets superb reception, so another win there
4) ATT allows you to use data and phone at the same time
5) the subsidized cost of the phone + verizon's ETF is still less than the $796 I had to shell with verizon, which still left me bound to their 2-year contract. Further, I would have lost my grandfathered unlimited plan.

Was a no-brainer upon further analysis.

Last edited:

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
is a non-contracted plan cheaper per month ? i thought contracts had different tiers

No. They aren't making money off you in the contract. They're making money off you having to stick around for 24 months. Non-contract plans are still bound by the same restrictions (data plans, minimum texting, etc. bullshit).

So in the end the cost for the user is the same after 2 years unless you stop using your phone as a phone. You just may not pay it all to one place

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads