• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iPhone 5

hua052011

Reaction score
Hi

This topic help me a lot in developing my project. I will contribute more when I finished it.
If you want to get more materials that related to this topic, you can visit:
Pilot interview questions

Best regards.

Last edited:

blairh

Reaction score

Straight Talk is Tracfone. In case you've ever had to deal with their customer service, you'll know why I'm bringing it up.

No experience with Tracfone. I'm assuming they are pretty ******?

If I keep my iPhone 4 and use StraightTalk I'd be paying a touch over $1080 over a 24 month period. With AT&T under the same time frame and the new iPhone I'd be paying $2,393. Enormous savings. I lose visual voicemail, I'm not entirely sure if I can access MMS, and no LTE of course. Also have to consider how an iPhone 4 will hold up software-wise with iOS updates in the upcoming 2 years.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

SimpleMobile doesn't support iPhone's and H2O has crap plans IMO.
I've ruled out Virgin Mobile for a few reasons. Don't want to pay a fortune for a soon to be old phone (4S). Don't think it will be easy to sell down the road. Don't trust the slower Sprint speeds. A shame because $30 a month is the best deal for American consumers using an iPhone.

Is that because Apple wants to keep the pricing high on the iPhone in the US, rather like they do here? To preserve the iPhone exclusivity and prestige?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I'm on my inlaws family plan :laugh:

when I got married, they were going to kick my wife off of their plan, but when we priced things out it was clear that she was far better off to just stay on ... and after some more research it was clearly far cheaper for me to join their plan. So much for their efforts.

they have thousands and thousands of rollover minutes available, so I just pay for data for my iPhone. Ends up being $32 a month, cheap enough for me to cut one check and pay off the whole year. Previously, I was paying about $70 a month on t-mobile for a blackberry with NO data, talk and text only.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, family plans are the way to go. The savings are huge. Even if you are not married, see if you can get on one with your immediate family. I have done this for a while and just mail them a check for my share. Non of us even get close to going over our minutes.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, family plans are the way to go. The savings are huge. Even if you are not married, see if you can get on one with your immediate family. I have done this for a while and just mail them a check for my share. Non of us even get close to going over our minutes.

Family plans were good until the whole concept of "shared data" came out. It's basically a way for the carriers to push up the prices for smartphones on family plans. At least AT&T will honor grandfathered data plans. Verizon is pushing all their customers into their new data plans.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Family plans were good until the whole concept of "shared data" came out. It's basically a way for the carriers to push up the prices for smartphones on family plans. At least AT&T will honor grandfathered data plans. Verizon is pushing all their customers into their new data plans.

I knew about the shared data plans, but thought they were optional? Are you saying that they are the default plans for new customers now?

blairh

Reaction score

Is that because Apple wants to keep the pricing high on the iPhone in the US, rather like they do here? To preserve the iPhone exclusivity and prestige?

I think it's the carriers here in the States, not Apple. I don't think Apple gives a **** how much you pay a month to the carriers for using their phone. They made their money already when you purchased the phone.

I called Verizon a few days ago to see if I could switch to them and save some money by joining up with my parents current plan. (They are on Verizon but use feature/dumb phones.) No dice. Breaking it down it was essentially identical in price to what I'm paying with AT&T.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think it's the carriers here in the States, not Apple. I don't think Apple gives a **** how much you pay a month to the carriers for using their phone. They made their money already when you purchased the phone.

Now I thought the carriers have some revenue sharing agreement with Apple, for Apple allowing them to have the iPhone.? $18 per subscriber a month for AT&T, isn't it?
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-9803657-37.html
"Over the life of a two-year contract, AT&T is paying Apple more per iPhone than it now costs to actually buy one, according to a financial analyst."

Last edited:

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I knew about the shared data plans, but thought they were optional? Are you saying that they are the default plans for new customers now?

At least on Verizon, they are the default and any subsidized phone upgrade requires that you move to either a tiered or shared data plan.

blairh

Reaction score

Now I thought the carriers have some revenue sharing agreement with Apple, for Apple allowing them to have the iPhone.? $18 per subscriber a month for AT&T, isn't it?
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-9803657-37.html
"Over the life of a two-year contract, AT&T is paying Apple more per iPhone than it now costs to actually buy one, according to a financial analyst."

I honestly have no idea. Not really something I've given much thought to previously. My guess is that carriers sign contracts with Apple and in said contracts it states what the current plans will be for the iPhone on their service and that if they make any changes moving forward it must first be approved by Apple.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I called Verizon a few days ago to see if I could switch to them and save some money by joining up with my parents current plan. (They are on Verizon but use feature/dumb phones.) No dice. Breaking it down it was essentially identical in price to what I'm paying with AT&T.

Weird. I had my own plan for a couple years with ATT then called them up to request to be added to my parent's family plan. They just needed to verify that they were OK with it which was easy to do since I was visiting them at the time. Didn't break or extend my contract. Even let me keep my grandfathered in "unlimited" data plan. I save an average of $30+ per month this way. Just have to remember to cut them a monthly check.

blairh

Reaction score

Weird. I had my own plan for a couple years with ATT then called them up to request to be added to my parent's family plan. They just needed to verify that they were OK with it which was easy to do since I was visiting them at the time. Didn't break or extend my contract. Even let me keep my grandfathered in "unlimited" data plan. I save an average of $30+ per month this way. Just have to remember to cut them a monthly check.

Oh JM, you are going to make me break it down aren't you. :foo:

In order for me to join my parents plan and make sure we'll have enough minutes per month, I'd need to join their 700 minute plan. That plan is just minutes and having three active lines (they dont' text and hence have no text plan).

I need to add my data and text plan in addition to that. When you factor that in (2 GB a month and 1000 texts) it's roughly $140 a month between the 3 or us, taxes and extras included. Without my iPhone in the mix, my parents pay roughly $70-$75 a month, again with all charges included. When you figure my monthly iPhone bill right now is $82, I'm barely saving anything by joining up with ma and pa.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My bad, I actually misread your post. Thought you meant they wouldn't let you. Not that it was not cost effective. Makes sense now. :embar:

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Sold off the phone to a lucky SF'er. Now to wait till the 21st, or until something better comes along. I'll tell you this - I am definitely getting an unlocked model. NEVER dealing with the hassles of contracts and provider bullshit again. I don't like you? Fine, **** you, I'll find someone else next month.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads