1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Invertere

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by I. Gentantithesis, Nov 25, 2009.

1. I. Gentantithesis

I. Gentantithesis Senior member

ethernet thingy whatzit, Colney Hatch Spa
    [​IMG]

Noticed Invertere mentioned recently on a thread. Invertere Coatwrights was established early in the 20th century in Newton Abbot, Devonshire, England on the SW seaboard, near Torquay - the site of Fawlty Towers.

Invertere made high quality sporting and travel outerwear. It originated the reversible cotton gaberdine/tweed Balmacaan style raincoat. It was also famous for its shawl collar, hip length 'Buffer' coat in various fabrics. The 'Gotthard' was an iconic double breasted Ulster steamer/storm coat, oft alpaca pile collared and lined - Paul Stuart called its version with an exterior shell of alpaca pile, sans epaulettes, the 'Bearcat'. It was oft private-labeled without an indication of 'Invertere' - Bullock & Jones being an example. T'was a staple of upscale "Ivy" shops specializing in ye olde Englishe shoppe type raiment in the mid 20th century - Cable Car, The Andover Shop, Herzfelds. Alan Flusser's Style & The Man mentions Invertere when listing brands of European Anglophillic stores. Some deemed Invertere rain-wear superior to Burberry and Aquascutum.

At one time the Invertere entity also marketed outerwear under the West Country Clothing brand.

Unfortunately, Invertere at this point is defunct. In the UK the last of Invertere's factory inventory was acquired by www.tweed-jacket.com and has been eBayed. There may be a small cache remaining. In the U.S. the distributor was www.kuehnert.com (also long the U.S. representative of Traditional Weatherwear of Cumbernauld, Scotland - the maker of the 'Mackintosh' brand). Kuehnert's Invertere inventory was liquidated on eBay by the owner's wife's equestrian oriented 'Outfoxedfarm' seller identity.

Two Invertere items currently appearing on Yoxx would appear to be of the type that actually retailed for circa $1000. Another source of old stock Invertere is O'Connell's of Buffalo, NY.

Another one bites the dust.

(I first contacted Mr. Graham of Invertere in the early '80s and subsequently acquired seven or eight coats, including three Gotthards; camel colour bearcat type, alpaca lined small check undyed homespun tweed and alpaca lined lovat whipcord. Now all one require's a series of unending crossings of the pond on the QM, lle de France, etc. twixt The Wars.)

Addendum: 'Invertere' is from the Latin 'to turn about', a reference to its original reversable motoring Balmacaan.

2. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

Well done, and great photograph.

- B

3. tobinbridge

tobinbridge Senior member

Did Invertere employ proprietary sizing for their coats? Yoox displays the duffle coat in a size 40UK and measures 34 inches. Either the website is inaccurate or Invertere were more inventive then I once thought.

4. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Senior member

I have a variation of the "Bearcat" coat which was sold at Barneys about 10-12 years ago. It is my warmest coat, great for snow storms.

Does any other manufacturer make a variation of the "Bearcat"?

5. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

Wonderful story of a once great company.

I think I have one with the very big horn buttons.

It's in storage and I didn't get to wear it much in Houston, Tx.

I'll see if I can find it. While I'm sure the quality is excellent it's the durability that sticks out. The cost seems bullet proof and I bet it will last 100 years.

6. LaoHu

LaoHu Senior member

Very interesting and informative post. Thank you.

7. Flieger

Flieger Senior member

Didn't Vox call them the Idiot Savants of men's overcoating?

8. comrade

comrade Senior member

I have a treasured gray melton belted greatcoat from them
    purchased in Chicago close to 30 years ago. My friend used
    to call it my "mission to Moscow" coat. It has a prominent
    place in my "clothing museum"

9. M. Charles

M. Charles Senior member

I have about 7 or 8 Invertere coats. Very top notch. Very Ivy.

10. comrade

comrade Senior member

From early posts I recall that you are a patron of Winston Tailors.
    Correct? I used to shop there, RTW and MTM 70s through the 90s.
    Nearly forty years ago I purchased a British Warm from Chipp.
    Very heavy, 32 oz, I believe. A wonderful coat for Chicago, where
    I lived at the time. It went to Goodwill a few years ago with frayed
    cuff, etc from long service.

11. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

A great company, sorely missed. I'm very envious of my father's trench coat and duffle.

12. Coatwright

Coatwright New Member

I am the "Mr Graham" mentioned in this thread and you may be interested to know that Invertere is not "defunct" but has simply been hibernating for a while. Watch this space.... I'll keep you posted.

13. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

14. williamson

williamson Senior member

I am the "Mr Graham" mentioned in this thread and you may be interested to know that Invertere is not "defunct" but has simply been hibernating for a while. Watch this space.... I'll keep you posted.

Delighted to hear it, and I'm sure very many others are.

15. comrade

comrade Senior member

Delighted to hear it, and I'm sure very many others are.

+1 !!

16. Kentishman

Kentishman Senior member

Vox would find this interesting.

17. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

Fantastic! Keep us posted. And please don't ever compromise on your quality standards.

18. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

This really is excellent news!

19. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Truly, a wondrous thing.

20. fd59

fd59 New Member

Funny, stumbling across this thread. I have been lucky enough to have obtained "The Squire" only to have my 5 year old son get sick all over it while we were at a Christmas performance, followed by my wife throwing it into the washing machine to make sure it was ruined. I say I was lucky because, after the destruction of my favorite coat, I was able to acquire an identical coat that had less wear than the original on e-bay. I only wish I had remove the buttons from the original before my wife threw it away.

I look forward to seeing the new designs and/or old resurrections Mr. Graham and Invertere have in-store for us.