• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

interview quesiton (from the other side)

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
we are hiring somebody who will be a peer, and I am on the committee that is hiring him.

in the interview, I asked a few questions, and I said "with as much details as possible, please tell me about when you did X" I pushed to get as much detail as possible. the candidate answered "we would do this, we would do that" all generalities. I pushed a few times. no luck.

I did like what he said, his theory is sound, and if he did what he said he did, then he is a good candidate.

I set a follow up one on one appointment, and I said "look, the reason that I wanted to meet you again is that I would like to hear more detail about the stuff that you said. I would like names, dates, details, as much as you can. don't worry about boring me". I asked him four questions, 3 about specific parts of his job "tell me about executing X, from the first meeting about it until you passed it off to your customer in as much specific detail as possible". he would say "well, we would think about this, and we would discuss that" but no detail.

then, I asked him about his first 90 days at his last company, and he spoke in a lot of first person detail.

I am suspicious of him, I get the feeling that he might be taking credit for work somebody else did, or something.

am I being hypercritical?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Possibly.
If you are interested, followup with a call and tell him that you are. Tell him that one of your "reservations" is that you feel he isn't being specific enough in his responses. Ball is in his court....

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could also be he's modest, feels wrong taking credit for results that he feels his team all worked equally hard to accomplish. First 90 days typically there's some training and observation etc. more work on yourself rather while you get accustomed to the firm, the team work comes 60+ days later I suppose.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
First 90 days at my job I tried to not fall asleep and pretended that I was working....:eh:

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think you're on to something. Ie maybe the team or someone else was working with him to make it happen so he's taking credit but can only really do it as a "we" instead of an "I".

Can you just call the former employer or manager and find out that way?

oh, wanna hear my most devious interview question?
"What question did you think I was going to ask you that I didn't? and what would your answer have been?"
(sometimes it's a positive question, which gives them a chance to boast a little about something they're proud of, or more often it's something they're secretly worried about and just because they don't have anything else to say, they'll tell you all their worst fears/problems)

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I once worked with a committee mostly staffed with IT people. At the tail end of the 90s boom, they were talking about job applicants with all sorts of tech experience on their resumes. One of the guys-- who ran the tech part of a major museum-- would smoke them out by saying in an interview "we just had Cisco deliver a Series PLN Framkaminator. What does it do, and what would you plug in first?" The candidates whose last job was playing Fusball and waiting for the IPO melted away pretty fast.

Don't know if this is what you have, but it's worth a few phone calls.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads