• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interview on Thursday.. Forgot to send thank you email..

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ter1413
+1. but maybe this is a new day and age...
It's polite to send a thank you. I've never not offered someone a job because they didn't send a thank you, but a thank you does enhance my overall impression of the candidate.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
I honestly can't say if they care or not, but two things make no sense about the OP. When I interviewed, the two companies and their rounds were the most important things for me at that time in my life. I don't see how if you set an internal alarm to send an email, you forget. It just makes me think you don't care about the job. Waiting a day or two on it's own makes no difference IMO, but asking on the internet does. Hopefully things work out, but evaluating why you're going through these processes might be in order.
I don't see how you can just assume I don't care about this job. I certainly do. Forgetting =/= not caring. **** happens man. The entire past week was hell for me with VERY little sleep (zero sleep the night before my interview, followed by a midterm thereafter) and I just did not have the best mental clarity. I was only asking on the internet because I was freaking out for being over the 24 hour 'limit.'

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreenFrog
I don't see how you can just assume I don't care about this job. I certainly do. Forgetting =/= not caring. **** happens man. The entire past week was hell for me with VERY little sleep (zero sleep the night before my interview, followed by a midterm thereafter) and I just did not have the best mental clarity.

I was only asking on the internet because I was freaking out for being over the 24 hour 'limit.'

no need to beat yourself over it, man. if you were a good enough candidate then you'll get the offer regardless. if not, then i'm sure that a thank you note wasn't gonna be a make or break deal.

mrhills0146

Reaction score
I don't see how you can just assume I don't care about this job. I certainly do. Forgetting =/= not caring. **** happens man. The entire past week was hell for me with VERY little sleep (zero sleep the night before my interview, followed by a midterm thereafter) and I just did not have the best mental clarity.

I was only asking on the internet because I was freaking out for being over the 24 hour 'limit.'

If I could only go back to when midterms felt like they filled up every ounce of time that I had.
sarcasm.gif
Right - I don't know what I'd do with all the free time.

GreenFrog, if you think you're busy now, just wait until you are actually out there.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
It's polite to send a thank you. I've never not offered someone a job because they didn't send a thank you, but a thank you does enhance my overall impression of the candidate.

mos def...i have been at my current job for 10 yrs so i haven't had the opportunity to send/not send...

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, the presumption was based on the OP. I sent you a PM earlier to clarify.

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrhills0146
If I could only go back to when midterms felt like they filled up every ounce of time that I had.
sarcasm.gif
Right - I don't know what I'd do with all the free time.

GreenFrog, if you think you're busy now, just wait until you are actually out there.

+100000

when i see some college kids moaning about how much they have to "study" or all this effort they're putting in... i snicker to myself.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
mrhills and yjeezle, sorry your lives are so hectic. That's not the OP's problem.

kasper007

Reaction score
Thank you notes can be helpful, but are definitely not a necessity, especially in the context of undergrad recruiting. That being said, if you are to send a note, do it within 24 hours of finishing the interview. Sending a notes a week late just show that you are not reliable and don't care much for the job (which seem to be the case for the OP). And BTW, for a recruiter, forgetting = not caring, especially in this market. And please DO NOT SEND a physical note.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrngorickets
Hi

This topic help me a lot in developing my project. I will contribute more when I finished it.

I also post rubbish to boost my post count until I can spam.

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back on topic:

Thank You letters should not be just 'Thank You', but rather Thank You and a brief statement of what knowledge you gained in the interview, what was interesting etc.. followed up usually by a question.

One Interview I recall amongst 5-6 different people, I made sure to connect lines across the interviews, letting person 2 know about something person 5 told me that was job pertaining etc...

Basically, If all you are e-mailing is "Thank You for taking the time to interview me on DAY/DATE", then don't bother. Throw in some meaningful content, ask a follow up question regarding the position.

superego

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, it's not likely as big a deal as your making it.

Yes, it's a nice touch...no, it's not a kiss of death if you forget.

The places I've been involved in hiring we typically made the decision either later that day or the following day and thank you notes, or their absence, weren't considered/mentioned in 99% of cases.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by superego
FWIW, it's not likely as big a deal as your making it.

Yes, it's a nice touch...no, it's not a kiss of death if you forget.

The places I've been involved in hiring we typically made the decision either later that day or the following day and thank you notes, or their absence, weren't considered/mentioned in 99% of cases.

I'm still waiting to hear back from them
ffffuuuu.gif

They said they'd make a decision by the end of the month, so I followed up yesterday with an email. If I don't get a response by the end of Monday, I am going to call them on Tuesday.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I don't think a physical note is good. If somebody sent me a physical letter, I'd think they're kind of weird, like my uncle who does Sherlock Holmes role-play and goes on trips with school-boys. Anyway, a key thing in a thank you note is definitely not just saying "thank you" but hopefully to bring up something that you enjoyed/found interesting/they found interesting during your interview. If you didn't have any of those moments, that's too bad because you probably didn't get the job.
teacha.gif
For example, my thank you for the last job I got was this (and not to toot my own horn but I thought it was succinct and would help them remember me): Dear Bennett, I would like to thank you and the others on the panel for inviting me to interview, I enjoyed our discussions on education. It's good to find a school with a solid belief in it's methodology and the abilities of its graduated students. I don't have the contact information of the other 3 on the panel, but if you could pass this note onto them it would be most appreciated. Again, thank you for the chance to talk, and I look forward to hearing back from you with your decision. Sincerely Matrix

Jangofett

Reaction score
So I had a final round interview this past Thursday and I was going to follow up with a Thank You email yesterday. But I completely forgot. ****.

The thing is, I was interviewed by 6-8 people, so I was thinking I might be able to spin this by sending a physical note by mail to the office to thank all of them at once. Then, they would get it on Tuesday and understand the 'delay.' At least, that's what I'm thinking/hoping.

Or should I just stick to sending emails to all of them right now, despite it being two days past?

You are overthinking this and getting paranoid. If a company marks you down because you did not send a thank you note, this company is not worth joining.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads