• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

In this economy, what clothing purchases are you revisiting?

Axelman 17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Given that we are right in the thick of bonus season for a lot of industries, thought this was a particularly appropriate topic. While salaries are down and the economy is contracting, the SF machine seems to keep trucking. Still plenty of threads on bespoke and suit commissions. While it is definitely good to see people are still out there spending, I am wondering what people are cutting back on or rethinking.

For me, there are definitely a few shoes out there that are "non core" to my rotation that I might have bought a year ago (some of those suede RLPLs come to mind). I also may prune my order from Chan in March, likely just do one sporcoat or suit and see how I like it before doing any more.

Curious what others have bypassed recently....

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I am purchasing zero clothes in 2009. It's frivolous and wasteful, and if 2009 continues as it's going, it's a much better time to be spending excess income on buy-low investments that will net more spending money at a later date.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've really cut down on my clothing purchase, almost to a virtual halt. I'm lucky to still have my job and all, but the prevailing mood seems to stop me from purchasing, or spending, on stuff these days. I'm still on the lookout for great deals specially with items I've been planning to buy before all of this happened, but at the present clothing is far from the top of my priority list.

x26

Reaction score
I just finished a "Huge" spending binge, but will probably minimize future purchases for the near future. Sort of a wait and see if the Depression is upon us type thing...

jyook

Reaction score
Last thing bought was a pair of Alden cordovans... That is it as I've just lost my job...
frown.gif

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm lucky to be in an industry that is definitely affected by the economy, but not to the extent of others, so I don't find myself looking over my shoulder....

I already got my tax return, so I'm sitting on some cash and I have a few purchases lined up including, but not limited to:

• C&J Suede Bals
  • new watch
  • TaT x Andrew Rogers tweed commission
  • Kent Wang pocket squares
  • Howard Yount scarf
  • RLBL shirts
  • peacoat or trench

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads