• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Impressions of Vienna

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
Nice report, Sator. About Knize, the name is of Czech and not German origin. So the ’z’ is pronounced like a German ‘sch’ (Engl. ‘sh’) = Knische. (For English speakers: the ‘K’ is pronounced, like in ‘Karl’ and not swallowed.)
Thanks for the education. I was going to ask at Knize but it slipped me. It's hard not to say the "-sche" without making it a hard "sch". The Russians distinguish between a soft 'sch' and a hard 'sch' for example, and perhaps there is a way of notating this in Slavonic languages which use the Roman alphabet. In any case, that's why I heard it as "K'nee-dja" rather than "K'nee-shi".

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
A great report - thanks Sator!

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Sator, was anyone else in Knize when I was there? I too was disheartened by some of the fairly ho-hum RTW there and the disappointing shoe selection, but most of all by the complete absence of clientele -- it was clear that Knize was an institution and I very much hope that I just happened to be visiting on a day when most clients were away.

Good cashmeres though.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Btw, I was in Vienna for half-a-day a few weeks ago, and received information from Markus Scheer that was quite different from yours.

I was told shoes started at 3,000 euros, with a fitting no later than three months down the road, and the finished shoes would be completed 4-6 months thereafter.

tutee

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
Indeed, morning dress seemed to pop up everywhere around the city.

Vienna_morningdress.jpg

Man! …and they criticize Americans for being like paired canary birds when guys match their vests with women's dress. Now we know Austrians match their vests with their exotic cars!
laugh.gif

There was a little poster in the window display too:

Knize_window.jpg
]

Ha! This is an AA/Esky illustration from summer of 35' (painted by L. Saalburg). I highly doubt that this was a page ripped off from the magazine but was probably one of the display pieces AA used to sell to its retail customers for showing customers that they were presenting "correct fashions" according to the "chart".

If Knize always had it from the original days or it acquired this from somewhere else, either way it is VERY interesting because I have NEVER seen a copy of AA display illustrations.

thanks for your post Sator

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Btw, I was in Vienna for half-a-day a few weeks ago, and received information from Markus Scheer that was quite different from yours. I was told shoes started at 3,000 euros, with a fitting no later than three months down the road, and the finished shoes would be completed 4-6 months thereafter.
Admittedly, I did not meet Markus Scheer that day. The lady there seemed to want to scare away potential customers. Maybe you pay extra for not speaking German or getting your shoes sooner?
smile.gif
Alternatively, did you specify some sort of exotic leather or some more time consuming features eg Goyserer stitching etc.

Fabro

Reaction score
Excellent post; thank you for sharing. Travelogues are among my favorite posts here. I visited Vienna when I was much younger and didn't appreciate it in the way I would now. I really must go back.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Admittedly, I did not meet Markus Scheer that day. The lady there seemed to want to scare away potential customers. Maybe you pay extra for not speaking German and getting your shoes sooner?
smile.gif

It's true all over Europe--some people don't want customers. It's too much trouble.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tutee
Man! ...and they criticize Americans for being like paired canary birds when guys match their vests with women's dress. Now we now Austrians match their vests with their exotic cars!
laugh.gif

Actually, I could swear I could hear some American accents amongst that lot. I was surprised to hear them speak English and doubly so to hear their American accents. And no, it wasn't the accent of a continental European who had learnt American English either. I was rather surprised they had not turned out dressed like the waiters in Cafe Central outside of which this photo was taken.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
It's true all over Europe--some people don't want customers. It's too much trouble.

Um...my visit to NYC suggested that it wasn't much different in the boutiques there either. Twice I was in the JM Weston store. Twice, I was the only one there. At the Dunhill store on Madison IIRC, the staff outnumbered the customers 4:1!

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
What a wonderful post. Thank you, Sator, for taking the time to share.

It is posts like this one that make SF such a great place.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by airportlobby
Would Thomas Bernhard wear morning dress?

Never, he hated the establishement. RIP

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads