• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm trying to make my tux for prom, need some help

Groffy77

Reaction score
Hey my name is David.. I hate to just register at this site to ask a question but I can't find any help anywhere else. I need some "expert" advice and guiding..

Okay my high school prom is in April and I've chosen to customize my own tux this year rather than rent one as I've done the past two years. I am planning on customizing a sport coat like this..

33w3a75.jpg

I want to buy a black jacket similar to the one in the photo.. and that's where my problem begins. I don't know where to find one with 2 buttons and the same material as they used. ??

I am then going to go to a fabric store and buy white fabric to do the outlining on the jacket, but under the white I am going to put EL wire under the white outlines. (EL wire is about 5mm in thickness and it lights up very similarly to neon.. I have already bought it along with a sound detector which will make it flash to the beat of the music.) It's very flexible so I'm not worried about that part. I want the wire to be almost unnoticeable during daylight and until I turn it on.

I also will be buying a black dress shirt, black pants, a black and white striped tie, and I will be renting white tux shoes from Tuxedo Junction.

So to sum it all up, I need to find where to get a black jacket with (preferably) 2 black buttons on the front and 3 on the cuff. I don't want to spend very much so the cheapest would be best.

If anyone could help me it would be MUCH appreciated.

Again, sorry for registering only to ask a question. I apologize..
smile.gif

Thanks! (P.S., if you need more photos to better see the jacket please let me know.)

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You may have picked THE worst place on earth to ask for advice on buying a black jacket.

Groffy77

Reaction score
I'm sorry you feel that way.. I really like their jackets so I'd like to make something similar but in my own way. Thanks.
Originally Posted by tonylumpkin
You may have picked THE worst place on earth to ask for advice on buying a black jacket.
Why is that?

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Groffy77
Why is that?

In general, most of the members here recommend against black suits and jackets.

However, to answer your original question...I'd try hitting some of the thrift stores in your area. Considering the alterations you'd like to make, a pre-owned jacket (and you'll find many black ones in the thrift stores) would be a a good choice and the price is sure to fit your budget.

Doc4

Reaction score
rotflmao.gif

Originally Posted by Groffy77
Why is that?

Yeah, wot he sed ... do a search for "black suit" ... read the lo-o-o-o-o-o-ong threads bashing them ... make up your own mind.

Yeah, the thrift stores and second-hand bargain stores will be your best bet. Good luck getting the flashing light-wire-thing to work ... that'd be so cool (in a highschool-prom-sort-of-way) if it turns out. If you ask the guys here what you should wear to your prom, you'd no doubt be sent off to get proper black tie semi-formalwear, but heck, we're all old.

Congrats on grad!

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does no one read? It begins to feel like people starting these threads are trolls. Please read before posting.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I
lol8[1].gif
ed.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For the OP, you can find a two-button black suit anywhere. Try Target or someplace like that. Don't spend a lot, since this is obviously a novelty outfit. Have you even tried looking before posting?

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This should come off pretty excellent if you do it all properly. HS proms are nothing special on the formality side anyhow, people who think otherwise are kidding themselves because no kid really knows how to properly pull off black tie anyhow. So have some fun with it.

Personally I like the idea of the piping and the EL wire to the music. To find a black suit on the cheap I would maybe try and thrift, but you can a really cheap one at like JC Penny, Macys, Express etc. Black suits are a dime a dozen just look around.

As you are seemingly very new to this just make sure it fits and don't button the bottom button, these will make everything look way better.

Have fun.

Enfo

Reaction score
Target is a good idea, somewhere cheap if your going to do alterations on it yourself. H&M has some for about $50.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics