• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm finished with vascular surgery

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to announce that I'm finished with what will likely be the most miserable month of my residency.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
No proctology rotation?

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
No proctology rotation?
Eff no. Three months of general surgery this year (pediatric and vascular which are both finished and trauma which will be done in January), three months of neurology, and six months of neurosurgery. Actually, the three months of neurology have the potential to be pretty painful, but the striking similarity of neurology to a vacation should make it pretty bearable. And after this year, all neurosurgery all the time.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hopkins_student
I just wanted to announce that I'm finished with what will likely be the most miserable month of my residency.

Congrats.

Several years ago, a seven surgeon, vascular practice tried to get me to be their practice manager. Those guys have 'tudes. Oh man, get a vascular surgeon talking about a cardiologist trying to do procedures. Good money though. Looking at their books, seemed like the boys were all drawing 350k salaries, plus year end payout based on how practice did.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
What you call a "'tude" I call an Axis II personality disorder. What a miserable group of people to be around.

laugh.gif

I can see you know exactly what I'm talking about.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please explain further. Why does vascular surgery suck? Is it hard as hell?

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, there's really nothing hard about it. It mostly involves lots of patients who have taken **** care of themselves for 75 years and so require an amputation, but in order for their amputation to heal they require a bypass. But the really bad part, as I've mentioned above, is the abundance of social pathology present amongst vascular surgeons (a common theme in almost all of the general surgery subspecialties). The only general surgery subspecialties where I think people are more decent than indecent are trauma (no ******** Lee) and pediatric surgery.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
the abundance of social pathology present amongst vascular surgeons (a common theme in almost all of the general surgery subspecialties).
Why do you think that is? Just curious.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Why do you think that is? just curious.
I don't yet have a good answer to this. I can only guess that it's a cultural issue that runs within most general surgery training programs, because I doubt that most of these people had these personality disorders when they started.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
From observation, I think vascular surgeons have a bit of a chip on their shoulders. They are highly compensated, highly trained, and doing surgeries on people that by and large, are self-induced train wrecks. However, for all their skill, they get no "press" and no one in the general public even seems to know they exist. If you want to rile up a vascular surgeon, mention cardiologists doing vascular procedures.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Eff no. Three months of general surgery this year (pediatric and vascular which are both finished and trauma which will be done in January), three months of neurology, and six months of neurosurgery. Actually, the three months of neurology have the potential to be pretty painful, but the striking similarity of neurology to a vacation should make it pretty bearable. And after this year, all neurosurgery all the time.

This confused me -- a bit of cognitive dissonance. Does it mean that the work is not very challenging, but that the rotation could be painful because of the company you'll be forced to keep?

Anyway, congrats.

fareau

Reaction score
There is little doubt in my mind that certain specialties attract specific personality types, and once the individual is within the respective training program, they are cultivated and shaped by the surrounding subculture (ie the nuances of the personality are given opportunity to "grow").

PS: congratulations. What year are you?

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nothing like the smell of gangrene to wake you up in the morning. At least dry gangrene is better than wet.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
This confused me -- a bit of cognitive dissonance. Does it mean that the work is not very challenging, but that the rotation could be painful because of the company you'll be forced to keep?

Anyway, congrats.

Interventions in neurology are rather limited. It is a field that, for the time being, is relatively heavy on diagnosis and description, but relatively thin on treatment. This is changing, but it's still going to be a very severe change of pace from what I'm used to in neurosurgery.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads