• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I'm finished with vascular surgery

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
congrats ... my father is a Urologist. heard lots of horror stories about residency

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
congrats ... my father is a Urologist. heard lots of horror stories about residency

Have you heard any good urologist jokes? I got one.

BTW h_s, I have respect for what you are doing.

fareau

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hopkins_student
PGY-1. .25 down, 6.75 to go.

Seven years? You must be including a fellowship in that calculation? Residency is a grind (especially internship), but fellowship is pretty enjoyable.

chuckseabreeze

Reaction score

Little off topic, but what has been your experience with Orthopaedic surgeons thus far?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
No one wants to hear my urologist joke?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chuckseabreeze
Little off topic, but what has been your experience with Orthopaedic surgeons thus far?

Jocks turned docs.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman

PLEASE TELL US RJ!!!

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good luck. someone smart enough to get into NSG can do anything.

Originally Posted by RJman

Let's hear it.

Originally Posted by Piobaire
Jocks turned docs.

While it's true that most orthopedic surgeons are large/muscular in stature, they are also quite brainy. In fact, it's a very very difficult/competitive residency to get into.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
While it's true that most orthopedic surgeons are large/muscular in stature

I've had 3 people suggest I go into surgery solely based on this fact.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Fact 1: I hate surgery.

Fact 2: I don't like blood (you are free to call me a *****) all that much making said suggestion an awful one.

One of the orthos at my hospital looks like he wrestles bulls in his spare time; and wins.

they are also quite brainy. In fact, it's a very very difficult/competitive residency to get into.
Which has never made any sense to me since it's basically carpentry.

Maybe I'm underestimating the brainpower of carpenters though.
tounge.gif

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
I've had 3 people suggest I go into surgery solely based on this fact.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Fact 1: I hate surgery.

Fact 2: I don't like blood (you are free to call me a *****) all that much making said suggestion an awful one.

One of the orthos at my hospital looks like he wrestles bulls in his spare time; and wins.

Which has never made any sense to me since it's basically carpentry.

Maybe I'm underestimating the brainpower of carpenters though.
tounge.gif

Technically the surgery is carpentry. The "smart" part is that these guys pick a field that is HIGHLY compensated and consistently in demand. It's also quite fun

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The "smart" part is that these guys pick a field that is HIGHLY compensated and consistently in demand. It's also quite fun

I guess this is true although this doesn't exclude the people who want to go into the field but can't because of its competitiveness and limited training spots.

I'd personally go into dermatology if I wanted something highly paid that's in demand due to the lifestyle. Most orthos I know still work long hours although a lot of that may be by choice.

Radiology can also be pretty sweet. One of my friends knows a doc who basically works from home a lot of the time. He has a high speed line installed and they send the images to him to read.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

While it's true that most orthopedic surgeons are large/muscular in stature, they are also quite brainy. In fact, it's a very very difficult/competitive residency to get into.

I never said jock = dumb. I agree, I've yet to run into a stupid ortho, and they tend to be pretty good people, with outgoing personalities, and fun to be around.

But by and large, they're all ex-jocks at something. It makes sense, if you think about it.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
Radiology can also be pretty sweet. One of my friends knows a doc who basically works from home a lot of the time. He has a high speed line installed and they send the images to him to read.

Be careful with radiology. That is a perfect medical field to get "Bangalored," for the very reason you say here.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Be careful with radiology. That is a perfect medical field to get "Bangalored," for the very reason you say here.

Hospital I did rotations at used a service in Australia at night for this reason. Thing is they were always effing up the readings and had to be officially read when the in-house docs came in the next day.

Those bastards down under were making a killing though. One of the ICU docs used to ***** about why the hospital was wasting so much money using them.

In any case, I'm not going anywhere near those lucrative fields. For now, I love plain old steak and potatoes medicine. May change my mind when I have to work on my own and deal with all the bullshit hours/billing but that's my chosen path.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads