• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you had $100 to spend on cologne what would you buy?

handsolo

Reaction score
If you had $100 to spend on cologne and cologne only, what would you buy? Just one bottle of something fancy-ish? A couple or a few bottles of department store stuff? 39 bottles of lilac vegetal? Please say what and why. And let me add a sincere thank you in advance for you insights.

Best,
HS

Citan1145

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah yes a cologne thread! Well fragrance is all about personal preference. if you only have 100 dollars I would not get some ridiculously expensive niche cologne. But, 100 can get you quite selection especially if you shop on Amazon . The question is, what are you going to be using the scent for and what scents do you like? For instance, is this for work? Everyday? Going out? I can give you a few personal favorites but ultimately it comes down to what you like.

That being said, I would go to a local mall and try out as many as you can (Sephora is also good for this).

A few of my favorites though

Dior Homme-A bit feminine at first but dries down to a light gourmand scent with hints of floral, musk, and light chocolate. Very good for evenings and if you wear a suit and tie for work.

Tom Ford Grey Vetiver-Pretty much a year round scent. Vetiver is a great staple note for men and I think this is the best non-niche. It will probably be just under 100 dollars even on discount

Prada Amber Pour Homme-A soapy clean scent that works in winter and in spring. Maybe a bit heavy for summer. Very nice smell and women tend to like it. YMMV of course.

and finally, Terre D'Hermes-Earthy, woodsy, orange-y and all around a great great scent, especially if you like a more masculine fragrance. Very high quality and available at a good price discounted.

Kvc06

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Terre D'Hermes - because it smells good.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only own one cologne as it is "my smell" and I associate it with me. I have been using if for about 10 years and I have tried changing over but it just smelled wrong. I have never met anyone that uses the same one so I like that even more. Very inexpensive--a bottle is about $60.

I say find what you like and rock that.

handsolo

Reaction score
About me to help with your recs:

I rock the required suit and tie everyday for work. Despite the dress code I hustle like I should be wearing a track suit. In and out of buildings, cars, public spaces, elevators, etc. I work close to people --all kinds of different people. Sometimes I like to smell good just so I don't have to smell the person next to me.

I recently finished a bottle of creed Millisime and have a few squirts left in my Green Irish Tweed. Feel like both are quality scents but I'm looking to smell like something different. Also have a half-full (yup!) bottle of Dunhill for Men that makes me feel like I just smoked a cigar and put back a couple of drams. That's all I've got. Thus the need to replenish the scent shelf. I'm trying to cover day/night, summer/winter.

So I've been super heavy on wood, cedar, and herbal smells along with leather and other earth notes. I think what I need is citrus, powder, pepper and freshness. Let me add that I'm not trying to smell expensive or precious. I'm not necessarily looking for high end House of So and So stink water.

Anybody got anything else to give?

cronicmole

Reaction score
Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit De L'Homme
Versace The Dreamer
Paco Rabbane 1 million

my top three in order right now.

Citan1145

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In that case,

Burberry London
L'Homme Yves St. Laurent (La nuit is great too ^)
I second the Angel men suggestion
In terms of leather and dirty tones how about Antidote by Viktor and Rolf?

I could keep going but the best thing is to just try these out

Hope we can help

nerve64

Reaction score
I suggest trying hand-decanted samples from Perfumedcourt.com or Luckyscent.com before purchasing a full bottle.

Chrenetique

Reaction score
Daywear:
1) Chanel, Egoïste. The best scent ever created.
2) Guerlain, L'Instant Pour Homme Eau Extrême. A modern gourmand, classy and refined, that pleases everyone. Love at first sniff! Unforgettable.
3) Acqua di Parma, Colonia Assoluta. Innocent freshness, works best in the summer.
4) Hermès, Terre d'Hermès. A good all-around scent, does its job. Overused, but still...
5) Serge Lutens, Cuir Mauresque. This leather is adorable - or should I say intimate?

Nightwear:
1) Chanel, Antaeus. Should have been called "Powerhouse". However, it may not please the youngest crowd.
2) Guerlain, Mouchoir de Monsieur. Old-world class from 1904. For real gentlemen only.
3) Serge Lutens, Muscs Koublaï Khän. Smells like brutal sex. Very seductive.
4) Burberry, London. Smells like an eternal Christmas... Alas, the longevity is very poor (like Mouchoir de Monsieur).
5) Yves Saint Laurent, M7. Efficient, complex, love-or-hate scent.

Chrenetique

Reaction score
Oh, that's citrus-freshness you want...! Then the usual suspects are: Acqua di Gio (Giorgio Armani), L'Eau d'Issey (Issey Miyake), and everything by Acqua di Parma.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads