• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

If you could only have one blazer what kind would it be?

hi123

Reaction score
1. If you could only have one blazer what kind would it be?
I'm thinking of getting a navy blazer in London. High-end but as cheap as high-end can get.

2. Any recommendations?
3. What is the difference in price and quality between a bespoke blazer and a high-end off-the-rack?

Thanks so much for your help.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a navy blazer in London. High-end but as cheap as high-end can get.

2. Any recommendations?
3. What is the difference in price and quality between a bespoke blazer and a high-end off-the-rack?

Well, you're already thinking of getting it--a navy blazer. That's always going to be the right answer. Either a nice smooth barathea or go for some texture with a hopsack cloth or something like that.

I have no recommendations for London, but I would imagine any good retailer would be awash in examples at all price points. The difference in price between bespoke and OTR would likely be substantial, unless you're talking about Kiton or Isaia or other extremely expansive brand. The difference in fit would likely be substantial, also. Any OTR jacket is likely to have larger armholes and a lousier fit to accommodate a wider range of potential customers. A bespoke jacket would fit only you.

One drawback with bespoke, of course, is that you would likely not get the finished jacket for quite some time.

Astaroth

Reaction score

2. Any recommendations?

1 - A tough one and depends a little on what you're meaning "blazer" and what you have when it comes to suits. As I have a few suits where the jackets can be used separately its possibly a bit easier for me. Personally it'd be a SB navy jacket with very light structure and a semi informal fabric like cashmere or hopsack as it can be dressed up or down and the top end of formality would be dealt with by a suit rather than jacket

2 - you need to mention a budget as one persons high end can be another persons budget

3 - bespoke (or made to measure) could be anywhere from £250 for an online MTM offering to £5,000 plus for the Row. Quality depends on what you are comparing. You can choose any fabric so from that side it at least equals and more likely exceeds OTR. Ultimately both could be fully hand stitched etc but the odds are that bespoke will have a better finish.

The key to bespoke though is (1) you get exactly what you want, not what some designer wants and (2) the fit is better and the further you are from the designers view of the ideal/ average person the more this comes to play.

So for example the Mrs saw a Prada coat she liked a lot but it was designed for someone 5'10+ not 4"11. A tailor was able to make a very similar coat but with a more flared skirt as she wanted in arguably a better quality fabric for about 30% less than the OTR price was (exc the alterations she'd have needed)

Last edited:

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If I could do only one it would be a purple cashmere blazer for the win! :slayer:

Last edited:

hi123

Reaction score
Quick question: what is SB? as it doesn't show up in google

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

starro

Reaction score
The mentality of "as cheap as high end gets" could hurt you if you go the bespoke route. There are plenty of MTM outfits, mostly online, that purport to offer "bespoke" for mid/high range RTW prices. What you'll get is questionable fit, questionable construction, and questionable materials.

Not to mention dirt cheap tailors in Shanghai, Bangkok, and even Hong Kong hawking their "bespoke" services.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads