• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IC: NWT 40R Polo Tweed 3pc suit

drducky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**NOTE suit is actually a 40L **
If someone is interested, I have seen a NWT 3 piece "tweedy" Polo suit (Jerome model if I remember correctly) in a 40R
It is made in Italy by Corneliani and has a light brown herringbone pattern with a soft hand; pants are flat front, I'm pretty sure
price would be $400 delivered in US
measurements and pics should be up tonight

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Interested but would need to see pictures and details...

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A tweed 3 piece? I would be down for it assuming measurements work out! The Jerome jacket isn't the one with 4 buttons on it though right?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Doh, those measurements are slightly out of my range.
frown.gif
Can't wait to see pictures of it though. Edit: To add, I agree on your opinion of it being more like a 40R, and not a long. The Congressman models run on the shorter side.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by polarbear
29" length? definitely a regular. so sad...
frown.gif

A 29" length is a Thom Browne type length for a Regular and is completely wrong for a Long (as the suit is marked).

Did you measure from the top or the base of the collar to the hem?

Is that 29" length correct in fact?

Finally the drop from a 43" chest to a 39" waist on the coat is slim. Is this the correct measurements?

Thanks!

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are some rather fashion-forward, aggressively-cut Polo 3pc suits in what might fairly be said to be more traditional/conservative fabrics (like this tweed, a really thick windowpane tweed, and also a vintage-y grey flannel) currently in circulation. I don't know for sure if the one pictured is from this range, but it could well be. I rather like them for their combining a very modern cut with old-style fabric but they're not to everyone's taste. One feature they have is a significantly shorter length than usual. Again, I don't know if this particular suit is from that range, but I found them very interesting suits.

drducky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that's probably why I thought it was a regular to start.. I tried it on (even though I'm a 44 in the Italian RL cuts) and it seemed a regular length
I remeasured - the 29" length is from the base of the collar to the hem (I thought that was the standard).. the chest is definitely 43".. the waist may be closer to 40" though..
the lapels are quite thin, so this is a modern cut (ala Thom Browne I suppose)
I'm a pretty selfish person; just like most of the flannel and tweed pants that I sold, if this were any larger, it wouldn't be up for sale
Originally Posted by rnoldh
A 29" length is a Thom Browne type length for a Regular and is completely wrong for a Long (as the suit is marked).

Did you measure from the top or the base of the collar to the hem?

Is that 29" length correct in fact?

Finally the drop from a 43" chest to a 39" waist on the coat is slim. Is this the correct measurements?

Thanks!

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drducky
I remeasured - the 29" length is from the base of the collar to the hem (I thought that was the standard).. the chest is definitely 43".. the waist may be closer to 40" though..
the lapels are quite thin, so this is a modern cut (ala Thom Browne I suppose)

As I hinted in my previous post, I find it very exciting and reassuring to see items like this in the Polo range, rather than just limited to Black and Purple Label. It shows even the "standard", more price-sensitive Ralph Lauren range is capable of having some real interest and excitement in it as well as the classics.

Anyway, that's by-the-by to your sale, I guess!
smile.gif

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I have many jackets with 29" length backs and they're not Browne-ish at all. I would have already bought this from him if my shoulders were not so dang narrow.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Very nice, I could almost go for it - except that I bought the vest in that exact material recently
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads