• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I want to buy the Pure Blue Japan XX-005 can anyone tell me how the waist size runs?

Innocent Bystander

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Atsui
PBJ should shrink to tag size. Here are measurements of one wash: 28 - 28-1/2" waist, 8-3/4" rise, 35" inseam, 10" thigh, 7-1/8" knee, 7" leg opening 29 - 29-1/2" waist, 9" rise, 35-1/2" inseam, 10-1/4" thigh, 7-1/2" knee, 7-1/2" leg opening We stock the one wash now and will carry raw in spring. 28 is out of stock, 29 and up available.
So these shrink 2" in the waist and 1.25 in the thigh? That seems like a lot. Would they shrink that much if you only do a 30 minute soak to get the initial shrinkage out? My jeans are usually tagged 34 and stretch to a 35 after hot soak and then wearing for a little while. Should I go with the 34 or 33?

jeannoob

Reaction score
well the pbj's are unsanforized, so shrinking down 2 sizes is probably the most it will shrink, then they'll stretch out about 1 inch max after a couple of wears from what i've heard.
if you compare a 30 minute soak with a 2 hour soak, there's very little difference between the amount of shrinkage, just change the temperature of the water (ex. cold - minimum shrinkage, boiling - maximum shrinkage)

Jay-D

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jeannoob
thank you, but im planning to get the raws
i think i might just go with 28, heard they'll fit perfect, if not tight

28 sounds right, good luck.

Originally Posted by Innocent Bystander
So these shrink 2" in the waist and 1.25 in the thigh? That seems like a lot. Would they shrink that much if you only do a 30 minute soak to get the initial shrinkage out?

My jeans are usually tagged 34 and stretch to a 35 after hot soak and then wearing for a little while. Should I go with the 34 or 33?

If you normally wear a 34, you should get the same in PBJ...and yes, that is what they will shrink to after initial soak. Here are measurements of O/W PBJs:
33 - 33-1/4" waist, 10" rise, 35-1/2" inseam, 11-3/4" thigh, 8-3/4" knee, 8-3/4" leg opening
34 - 34-1/4" waist, 10" rise, 35-1/2" inseam, 12" thigh, 8-7/8" knee, 8-7/8" leg opening

DJ Ant

Reaction score
Alright, so most of my denim is 30s and they run rather snug around the waist. I really wanna buy some PBJ xx 005 raw so should I buy true or down 1 size?

I'm about 5'7 125 lbs.

who8mahrice

Reaction score
My 005 has stretched about 2.5 inches in the waist (though I wear my jeans pretty low...) I would highly suggest AGAINST sizing down unless you're legs are skinny as hell.

rocks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who here owns a pair of XX-005 black raws? I sold my black 018 Somets recently and is now contemplating another pair of black raws from either PBJ, W+H or Somet again. Then again Somet seem to be getting rather popular on this site so perhaps I may exclude them. So my final choice then is either the W+H slim black raws or PBJ XX-005 black raws.

jeannoob

Reaction score
hey guys, i just got my pair of PBJs xx-005 raws in size 28. friend went to new york and he grabbed me a pair while he was there. this is my very first pair of *** raws, i've only owned a pair of APC new standards, so excuse the noobiness. btw, the jeans are flawless in quality, the denim is wonderful and so is the craftsmanship put into it, although you all would probably know that. im super excited on how these will turn out...
anyways, i put the jeans in the tub for a soak to shrink it down. i took it out after an hour in warm/hot water (hot, but warm enough to leave your hand in the water). after trying them on, there was still some space in the waist and I measured the waist BiG style and they were 29" (waist was 30.5" unsoaked). Im true to size 28 and i was just wondering if another soak with hot water (hottest the tap will go) would shrink the jeans down to 28.
thanks

Androo630

Reaction score
I have a pair of Nudies Average Joes in size 29 x 34. I'm 6'0 and around 145 pounds, should I get size 29 or size 30? Thanks for the input.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Androo630
I have a pair of Nudies Average Joes in size 29 x 34. I'm 6'0 and around 145 pounds, should I get size 29 or size 30? Thanks for the input.

+1 I'm a similar size and would also like to know.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Guys. There is such detailed sizing advice in here. You're gonna have to figure it out. It's never as simple as that. Everyone's bodies are different and everyone has slightly different fit preferences. Look at the various measurements in this thread, Blue in Green, and the sizing advice given and take the plunge

Kent Money

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug

PBJ 005 is a weird cut. It's very slim in the top block and thighs, but rather loose at the bottom comparatively. It's a true straightleg that sometimes gives the impression of a bootcut. Looks slim from a side profile but kind of billowy below the knee from the front.

this assesment is dead on. this is why I'm sellin mine.

aoluffy

Reaction score
hey, a friendof mine is buying some pbj-005s. im buying mine later after he gets his lol. hes buying them first. his will be one wash.

his measurements are 32'' waist below bellybutton. however when he wears 32 jeans they do seem "just right".. as in not tight at all. i think thats right. his bellybutton waist is like 31''.
his thighs are like 22'' upper thigh. then midthigh is like 20'' (6 inches from crotch)
hes like 5'10 and not sure where to get chainstiched to 32'' or 33''

shoudl he go for 32'' onewash or 31'' one wash.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics