• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I want to buy the Pure Blue Japan XX-005 can anyone tell me how the waist size runs?

Sabrosa

Reaction score
Haha, yeah, it is quite tempting. $205 seems like about the best deal you are going to get outside of Japan.

Dangydang

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Dangydang and others, have they stretched out much on you?

I just started wearing mine 3-4 weeks ago and I wear them about 4-5 days a week. So far stretching has been very very minimal. They stayed up perfectly without a belt when I first received them and they stay up just fine without a belt right now. If you're thinking about getting a pair I'd highly recommend them.

fosho78

Reaction score
I have a question about PBJ sizing and I thought I'd just reuse this thread instead of making another one. This question's already been asked but no one answered:

When buying dry PBJ xx-005s off BiG's website, should I go with my true size or size up one? If I buy my true size and then hot soak them and wear them while they dry, wouldn't that keep them from getting too skinny? That's my concern - I don't want them to get too tight.

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I purchased 1 down with mine from BiG. However you are missing out on one element, stretching. If you buy your regular size they will shrink, a little, and then stretch, likely more than they shrunk. Buy one size down and you should be fine.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denning
I purchased 1 down with mine from BiG. However you are missing out on one element, stretching. If you buy your regular size they will shrink, a little, and then stretch, likely more than they shrunk. Buy one size down and you should be fine.

This has been my experience with PBJ (not specifically 005's, though). Stretching is much slower than with APC's, but after soaking (some shrinkage, not a lot) and maybe 10-20 wearings they've stretched a bit more than they shrank. They're a 34 and the true waist is probably closer to 35 at this point.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to get a pair of these as well. The actual waist measurement on my current regular jeans is 34, and I don't want them to be super tight at the waist or anywhere else really. Should I just get the 33s, hot soak them and let them stretch back out?

From looking at several for sale threads for 33s here and on SuFu most people don't get them to shrink as much all over as the BiG measurements suggest their process does, so I think I'd be OK with getting 33s to shrink down to 33.5 after one hot soak/air dry which would give them a half-inch to come back out.

fosho78

Reaction score
Just looked some stuff up on superfuture and everything that I read said that you should get 005s true to size.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Like everything though, there is not a universal rule. I believe i sized down about 1 or a half and it worked out. I'm probably going to sell them as i am looking for something slimmer below the knee, but they worked out after a bit of stretching while wet. They stretch a lot if you wet them. Great looking jeans though. The denim is fun to play with when bored on a long car ride.

If you're huskier or work out your legs a bunch, size up one. If you're a normal build get true to size, if you're pretty slim you could get away with sizing down a half size or 1 depending on how much they shrank during the initial wash/soak.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wear Nudie Thin Finns in 31x34 and they fit me perfect. I also had a pair of APC NS in size 29 too.

For the record, I'm 6'1" and weigh approx 145 pounds.

I'm planning on getting the post-soak 005s from BiG. What size should I get, taking into consideration stretching and the fact that they're low-rise?

I have hip bones so if they sit at my hip bones, 31s would probably be too small. So should I get 32s? Or do 005s stretch enough to the point where if I get 31s they will stretch to fit me perfectly?

I'm so confused, help would be appreciated!

Jay-D

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreenFrog
I wear Nudie Thin Finns in 31x34 and they fit me perfect. I also had a pair of APC NS in size 29 too.

For the record, I'm 6'1" and weigh approx 145 pounds.

I'm planning on getting the post-soak 005s from BiG. What size should I get, taking into consideration stretching and the fact that they're low-rise?

I have hip bones so if they sit at my hip bones, 31s would probably be too small. So should I get 32s? Or do 005s stretch enough to the point where if I get 31s they will stretch to fit me perfectly?

I'm so confused, help would be appreciated!

I would recommend 31s, but wait for a little more advice to confirm. I have not stocked PBJ that long. And by the way, we do have the XX-005 one wash in stock. After you confirm which size you need, pm me.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Get a pair of 31s. I sized down one and while they eventually stretched fine in the waist (even loose), they still are pretty tight around the knees.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the input.

The thing is, if I measure at my hipbones, my waist is actually 32inches. Should I still get the 31s? I dont know how low they sit, is the problem.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Actually, what's this whole shrink-to-fit deal? If I want to buy the jeans raw, do I buy the size 29 (which translates to a 31.5 waist)? Does shrink-to-fit mean that you have to soak your jeans in hot water once before you start wearing them? Or are the 005s simply like other dry denim where you wear them for 6 months until you first wash them.

I am SO confused.

What are the advantages to buying raw vs. one wash?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Thanks for the input.

The thing is, if I measure at my hipbones, my waist is actually 32inches. Should I still get the 31s? I dont know how low they sit, is the problem.

Stop overthinking it. If you wear size "xxx" regularly in jeans then get the same size in pbj.

Actually, what's this whole shrink-to-fit deal? If I want to buy the jeans raw, do I buy the size 29 (which translates to a 31.5 waist)? Does shrink-to-fit mean that you have to soak your jeans in hot water once before you start wearing them? Or are the 005s simply like other dry denim where you wear them for 6 months until you first wash them.

I am SO confused.

What are the advantages to buying raw vs. one wash?

Shrink-to-fit: You initially soak the jeans so that they shrink to tagged size and then wear.
STF vs one wash: Less guesswork.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Okay, so I got the one-wash 31s and I had no problems buttoning the top button.

It fits snugly. .does this mean it will stretch out to the point where it's actually loose? Should I have sized down one?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics