• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I want heavier hair.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Ok here is the thing whenever my hair grows out past 3/4 of an inch it starts to look terrible. It stands up and is really thick and very hard to style. Even when I use max strength wax/gel it still takes A LOT to keep it down. I hate using so much wax in my hair as it looks greasy and I'm just not a fan of overusing it.

My hair also looks really dry and even if I let it keep growing and it finally stays down under its weight it still looks very voluminous and I hate the look of a mini afro. My hair also grows out really fast so I really would have to get a haircut ever 1/2-2 weeks to maintain the short hair that works best. Is there any shampoo/conditioner or something I can use to give my hair some weight so I can actually comb it to look neat without dumping 1/4 of a gel bottle on it.

Thanks

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you tried products other than gel? You mention waxes... there are also glues, pastes, etc. My hair also likes to stand up, so it's a challenge at around two inches in length, but other than that I have a suite of products that I use alternate between based on the length. I also find, depending on the length, whether I style wet or dry makes a difference.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
can't imagine anything different would help, the point is that it's very hard to style no matter using what. I'm thinking a right shampoo would be of more use

CharlieAngel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got hair to my shoulders. I'm current on a bumble and bumble kick that seems to be working pretty well.

Specifically, the seaweed shampoo & condition combo, Spray Hair TOnic (like a really light conditioner) and a dab of brilliantine to the ends to keep them mostly at bay.

Granted, kinda pricey. But my hair is smooth and has a little bit of "healthy shine." Smells pleasant and girls have commented on it.

YMMV.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A drastic measure would be to apply Murray's Pomade for a week or so. After that, the buildup will grant you everything you desire.

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for heavier hair, the correct answer is weight training (not cardio), eggs, bran and broccoli.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by justsayno
for heavier hair, the correct answer is weight training (not cardio), eggs, bran and broccoli.

Six times per day.

likeitaloud

Reaction score
What does it mean to get it thinned?

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by likeitaloud
What does it mean to get it thinned?

I used to do this when I had thick hair... back before it started falling out....

Thinning means the stylist will cut the hair a certain way so that it's easier to manage. You should probably also talk to them to get recommendations on conditioner or other product besides gel that will help reduce the dryness of your hair.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tell your stylist to use thinning shears.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try adding to your regimen a multivitamin, a multimineral, and fish oil. That should help you in other ways, too, including skin, general health, and mood.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
Try adding to your regimen a multivitamin, a multimineral, and fish oil. That should help you in other ways, too, including skin, general health, and mood.

And eat brown rice 6 times per day.

manouche

Reaction score
You have poor hair, the only solution is a MERKIN

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads