• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Want Another Scotch

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations?

I primarily enjoy Speysides and Islays, with Dalwhinnie, Macallan (12 and 18), Lagavulin 16, and Talisker among my favorites.

Recently picked up a NYT, and perused the rare single malts available. 30yo Oban's and Crag's are appealing, but I'm afraid I can't quite run to $300 for a whiskey -- nor that $2k 1947 Macallan. So anyone have a suggestion? JW Blue might be a consideration, as I have some wiggle room, but a blend seems a little humdrum to me at the moment.

Regards,
Huntsman

cigarguy_MI

Reaction score
You've already discovered my favorite - Lagavulin.

Of the classic 6, my fav's in order are:
Lagavulin
Talisker
Oban
Cragganmore

If you haven't already, try Glenfarclas 17, 21 or 25, Bowmore 17, Ardbeg and Aberlour 15

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Edited for better assurance:

The name is Laphroiag, 30 year old, quite nice, runs about 125 Sterling, but I am not sure in the states. If you can find it, try, it has a deep peat flavor, and quite the tatse that will leave a guest mesmerized.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
To be honest, I might buy a bottle of Macallan 18 year and have a nice dinner on the rest. Or I might go a bit over budget and get some Talisker 20 year.

ROT

Reaction score
There is a Burgundy finish Macallan (I believe... could be Glenmorangie...) that is very successful. And if you can get ahold of any Springbank, it's wonderful stuff.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hmm, how about: A bit above your price range: Glenmorangie 30 yr ~$200-300 Glen Rothes 30 yr (Speyside) $170-220 Talisker 20 yr: $180-210 About in your price range: Glen Grant 30 yr (Speyside) $100 MacPhail's 30 yr $150-200 Strathisla 30 yr $150 Bowmore 20 yr $170

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
JW blue is a blend (of single malts of up to 50 yrs age)

JFK

Reaction score
If you haven't tried it yet, Huntsman, let me suggest the Bicentenary Edition Highland Park Vintage 1977 Reserve (Michael Jackson calls Highland Park "the greatest all-rounder in the world of malt whiskey"). It's not an Islay (Highland Park is on Orkney; it's the northernmost distillery in Scotland), but it's definitely an island malt - although with more heather than peat... The Bicentenary Edition is a beautifully complex 24-year-old, and it's right at your price point; I recently got a bottle from D & M Wines and Liquors in San Francisco for around $145.00 delivered, and it's well worth it. D & M also has a 28-year-old Glenlivet Murray McDavid Bottling for around $144 that I've been meaning to try (I really like the Glenlivet; they make some of the most subtle of the Speyside whiskies, but they generally have great depth and complexity, too). Oh; the URL for D & M (they have an incredible selection of scotches; many of them I've never found anywhere else): http://www.dandm.com/scotch.php

arenn1

Reaction score
Actually, in this price range leave Scotland and head over to Ireland for a bottle of Midleton Very Rare, one of the finest whiskies available at any price.

nightowl6261a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, in this price range leave Scotland and head over to Ireland for a bottle of Midleton Very Rare, one of the finest whiskies available at any price.
i am with you, have 3 bottles, 2001, 2001, 2002, am hoping for a 2003 for X-mas this year from a friend in Birmingham...we will see....finest Irish whiskey made....period

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads