• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I need to find dress shoes that I can wear with slim hems (Thin Finn!

inviscid

Reaction score
Alright-
I'm on the hunt for slim dress shoes to wear with my thin finn dry black coated, which I think can be easily dressed up with a jacket.
The only problem is, the one pair of dress shoes I own make my feet look like they're on boats. I can barely wear chucks without having clown feet syndrome.

So, any suggestions for a slimmer dress shoe? I'd also like to add that maybe some sort of ankle boots or something higher cut would work more seamlessly.

Thanks for any help

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chealseas (RM Williams!) or some nice wholecuts I'd say.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yep, if you don't already have Chelsea boots, get some. They look great with slim jeans. A slightly squared off toe (not a giant platypus bill, just a squared/chisel toe) will help to make your feet look shorter.

This is the one I have in black:

chelsea3black0470400104rm4.jpg

Crockett & Jones "Chelsea"

RM Williams (find the giant thread here on it) has a similar looking model, I think it's the Craftsman.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I rather like the RM Williams er. Yearling, I think its called. Has the narrow toe and cuban heal. You'll look straight out of a bob dylan documentary.
smile.gif

sbbbjm

Reaction score
i like seeing skinny jeans with slim, elongated toe dress shoes in that 'modern classic' style similar to a. testoni shoes.

i think not wearing socks tops the look off too (if your feet sweat a lot, Aldo has the washable inserts to protect your shoes)

CoryB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sbbbjm
i think not wearing socks tops the look off too (if your feet sweat a lot, Aldo has the washable inserts to protect your shoes)
I did that yesterday, wearing no show socks, after liking the Thom Browne look. It was the most pain I've been in for a long time; I didn't expect a 9hr work day. I had five bandages on my feet and worn comfy sneakers today just to survive work; most of sores are fairly well healed after 24hrs, but I won't do that again. Back to the real topic, I think slim "Italian" shoes look best; the elogated toe box is great. With slim hems, just shy away from anything clunky and still with slim.

Double D

Reaction score
Just stay well away from round or boxy toes... full on points look a bit try-hard, so a long and slightly curved point as already mentioned looks good. Works with my Rakers nicely, and they have a meagre 16cm opening.

GameBoy

Reaction score
I have a pair of Frye Arkansas boots that look great with the SExIHs.

Double D

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GameBoy
I have a pair of Frye Arkansas boots that look great with the SExIHs.
SExIH are a pretty significantly larger hem than a pair of Nudie TFs though. If you're on the slim side, a tapered leg such as TFs or Dior 19s will have trouble sitting over even the slimmest of boots.

Joe Egbert

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Yep, if you don't already have Chelsea boots, get some. They look great with slim jeans. A slightly squared off toe (not a giant platypus bill, just a squared/chisel toe) will help to make your feet look shorter.

This is the one I have in black:

chelsea3black0470400104rm4.jpg

Crockett & Jones "Chelsea"

RM Williams (find the giant thread here on it) has a similar looking model, I think it's the Craftsman.

Where can I get these? I googled them and all I could find was UK mailorder sites. If there are any US spots someone let me know. Thank you.

GameBoy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Double D
SExIH are a pretty significantly larger hem than a pair of Nudie TFs though. If you're on the slim side, a tapered leg such as TFs or Dior 19s will have trouble sitting over even the slimmest of boots.

I have a pair of Dsquared that are cut similar to the 19s and they still fit, but I wouldn't say that they look as amazing when paired with these boots.

I stand corrected.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joe Egbert
Where can I get these? I googled them and all I could find was UK mailorder sites. If there are any US spots someone let me know. Thank you.
Polo has them occasionally, or a version of them, called the Redding (do a search here). The latest version has a flat top, which would be preferable IMO to the C&J with the projections at the front and back of top above the elastic, which tend to catch on pants after sitting down. Be sure to look for the Made in England ones, not the made in Italy. Grapevinehill sometimes has them on Ebay, and they are sometimes on sale in the Polo.com sales. There's one going right now in Polo stores so you might try calling around, some of them will ship.

Here's one thread: http://styleforum.net/showthread.php...hlight=redding

BTW, the ones I got I believe the guy told me he got them at Barneys originally. They retail for around 5-600 dollars depending on who's selling them.

P.s. Welcome to the forum.
smile.gif

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Prada model is a good example of footwear that is sleek and breaks up the visual line, due to the decorations in the toe area. The toe itself should be moderately pointy. Obviously, with black jeans, the footwear should be dark.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads