• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I need a new go-to label for button ups

bsyde82

Reaction score
I had my run w/ steven alan, and i'm over it, especially since some of their shirts are no longer made in the us of a. BoO...love the look, but im just in between sizes. j.crew is still my cheap alternative, but i'll only buy from them on sale now...

i think i really like unis...i have one shirt, but it's a lot better for tuck-in situations, and i like to wear button ups untucked most of the time. plus, i have no idea where to buy

suggestions?

Calden

Reaction score
I like the options of Brooks Brothers MTM. I believe they are around $150 - $175.

djh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm kinda in the same situation... except BoO fits great on me. I haven't tried any SA shirts, and I usually have to get JCrew shirts tailored. Also, I'm still in HS so I can't afford a lot of BoO shirts, just sticking with JCrew now.

I guess you could try a MTM service, like Janzten or something. I'm sure they could make shirts to your exact measurements, including a shorter hem for casual wear.

inviscid

Reaction score
dior homme.
i know the label is played & all, but they're the only shirts that fit me nice and slim.

i own two, but i'm thinking of just sending one of them to jantzen since it's the perfect fit. plus, buying more just isn't worth the price tag.
i just hope they don't lose it

Spilotro

Reaction score
Zegna has some sweet slim fitted shirts. I LOVE mine
biggrin.gif

Reaction score
got a tim hamilton chambray, it fits boxy compared to a BoO in the same size (small) and flares a bit at the waist because of it. Fit-wise, stick with J. Crew sized down. i love th, but it's the sad truth. love the shirt but barely ever wear it because it just doesn't work with my proportions.

if you're looking for typical oxford styles, give urban outfitters a serious look. i mentioned it in a previous thread, but their house (bdg) brand oxford is a great fit and material for the price ($50). white, light grey, red/lavender stripe.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got some Tim Hamilton shirts from Gilt. Really best fitting shirts I have.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Just to hijack this thread, I'm looking for a brand that makes button ups as short as BoO, but cheaper. Any ideas? J Crew is too long for my tastes.

Lysol

Reaction score
I'll say it. If you can score it at outlet, on sale or BNWT pricing on eBay, if you're a fan of the BoO look, Ralph Lauren's Rugby line has OCBD's that are the absolute best at that price point. Much nicer than J. Crew (Gap, BR, et al) and on-par with the lower-end (read "Made In China") PRL items. Material is much thicker, holds it shape, has thick white buttons (as opposed to J. Crew's branded yellow-tinted ones) and vintage details similar to BoO like locker loops, side gussets, small collars, etc. They're slim fit and a size small fits me better than a BoO medium (snug in the chest but doesn't flare out at the waist like BoO). If you like the shorter shirt tails you're going to have to get them tailored though, that's the only negative that I have. I'm 6' and it comes down past my crotch. I'd even put them in front of Steven Alan (never been impressed with their house brand).

They retail for like $70 so I wouldn't say they're worth it at full price but if you're looking for some decent staple shirts at a reasonable price (and now quite accessible that they have an online store) check 'em out. I often find their OCBD's at my local Polo outlet in the $5-$15 range but would willingly pay around $35-$40 for them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads