• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I Haven't Started and I'm Already Annoyed

ClaretandBlue

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
We were assigned assignments and quite a lot of reading before the first class thanks to Blackboard.

While Blackboard is relatively new, reading and prep work before the first class is not anything new (at least not when I was in college). Many people will take the time to at least read the first chapter in the book(s) before attending the first class without it being specifically assigned, just out of preparation.

Originally Posted by Huntsman
This really rubs me the wrong way. Class/the semester starts Monday. You do not get a lease on my time until Monday, preferably after the first class of the day -- especially in a program such as the one I am in, for working professionals.

IMHO, that's a bit of a negative attitude to take. Try and go in with the attitude that you're there to learn the material, not just pass the class.

Sounds like you've been out of school for a bit at this point? Not an easy transition, I've done it myself. Just take it easy, don't get too worked up over stuff like this, they're not going after you personally..
smile.gif

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ClaretandBlue
Sounds like you've been out of school for a bit at this point? Not an easy transition, I've done it myself.
I actually wished I had been out of school for a while, because it seemed like those people had an easier time treating school like a full time job.

I do actually kind of agree that most 1Ls probably read too much, but I still think you shouldn't let yourself get behind in assignments. You just don't need to spend quite as much time as the gunners do on the readings. Learn to skim cases well, you'll have to do that when you do real legal research anyway.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would really appreciate it if you continued to update this thread with all the things that annoy you about law school.
smile.gif

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
That's law school for you. You're supposed to read before class, even on your first day. And you really don't want to be behind, because it'll just pile on from day 1. Planning? What for? The profs decide your schedule, not you. Just suck it up and enjoy the pain.
Originally Posted by yerfdog
Was it really a lot of reading in pages? Because I remember the first few assignments looking like nothing (like 10-15 pages) and then it turned out they took like an hour because they were cases that were hard to understand, and we'd never seen stuff like that before. Regardless, I would get used to doing the reading before class, since every class will be structured around that day's readings if it's anything like my law school experience, not like some classes from college where you listen to the lecture and then do the reading. But if you come to class the first day and don't do the reading, it's not really a big deal even if you get chewed out by the prof (won't affect your grade), just means you have to catch up 2 days of reading at once. Don't get behind on the reading. Everyone does get a little behind at least occasionally, but it's really hard to catch up.
With working full time and a 2 hr combined mode commute each way four days a week, I need to plan. I'm used to reading before class, every class, as my favorite Profs were Socratic. I'm fine with a little reading before the first class, but there's a decent amount, as well as a number of written assignments, posted the week before class starts. I am not really seeing the consideration for what professionals might have planned before class starts. I realize I am getting more worked up than most 'normal' people, but I have had so much less free time in my entire life, since childhood, than most 'normal' people, that I feel the presumption more acutely. I would argue that a reductio could operate on this situation: If the defined start date does not matter, then how far back can assignments go? All the way until you receive one with your acceptance? If there's a start date, its a start date.
Originally Posted by JD_May
Uh... are you actually serious? Because get used to it. I do work whether classes are on or not and when they are on it just means more hours out of the day. Don't know what school you're going to but if it's anything like mine, if you're not prepared to give them a lease on your time, 24/7/365, then do be prepared to not compete.
I am so prepared. Starting today. Not yesterday, or the day before that.
Originally Posted by Pennglock
Law school, Huntsman?? Get out while you can! You can probably still salvage 1/2-3/4 of your Fall tuition at this point...
Well, I'm not paying a centavo, so no worries there. I'm headed toward patent, so I won't be giving up my engineering cred.
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Yup, get used to it bud. I'll never forget when I started my MBA, on an August 28th. On the 26th, I got an email telling me about a test on the 28th, and how to prepare for it!
Nice!
Originally Posted by Sherman90
There will be no consequence to not doing those readings except feeling socially segregated from your hyper-enthusiastic peers. And that can be a good thing. Believe me, it's possible to bust balls in law school as a maverick. Most 1L's overread anyway.
Oh, I've always been a maverick (mainly because I care about my work, intrinsically), so this I am glad to hear.
Originally Posted by alliswell
Also, law firm partners and clients are much more understanding and respectful of your time. You've chosen a degree that will most likely lead to a lifetime of professional service. Be certain of this - you may or may not get paid like a professional, but you will serve. Now quit your bitching and prep for court.
While Blackboard is relatively new, reading and prep work before the first class is not anything new (at least not when I was in college). Many people will take the time to at least read the first chapter in the book(s) before attending the first class without it being specifically assigned, just out of preparation.
How did they distribute the assignments pre-Blackboard, out of curiosity? I am a pre-reader as well, but since the book list was not released until nine days before the first day, I am barely getting them in before class, yet alone with enough time to read.
IMHO, that's a bit of a negative attitude to take. Try and go in with the attitude that you're there to learn the material, not just pass the class. Sounds like you've been out of school for a bit at this point? Not an easy transition, I've done it myself. Just take it easy, don't get too worked up over stuff like this, they're not going after you personally..
smile.gif

I agree about the attitude -- I have always believed that the process of learning was far more important than the piece of paper on the wall. I always tried to learn as much as I could and appreciated even the most hated professors -- I usually found they were happy to help someone who was genuinely involved in the process, just burnt out on the masses of grade-arguers. And I want to bring that.
Originally Posted by Teger
suck it up. I would sympathize, but I've had that happen in courses.. forever. also you should be checking blackboard even on vacation!
Dude, if you're on vacation in South Beach well ok. Not all the places where I stayed did WiFi (or even cellphone) service exist. I did check Blackboard via dialup with my calling card, but my books were many, many, many miles away. Forever? How long have you been in college? For me this trend took a major increase with Blackboard's advent. I'm ok with a little, this just felt like too much, especially for people who are in this program because they are working full-time, and might be tying up loose ends, spending time with the kids, etc, and whatnot before class starts. Well, at least writing all this has been on the cathartic side, and I hope to go to class tonight more refreshed. I took the day off to get this stuff done.... ~ H

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I phucking hated school.

Some classes I really liked. I think, if I had been a trust fund baby, I'd have gone to school for life, just taking classes I enjoyed.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I phucking hated school.
Some classes I really liked. I think, if I had been a trust fund baby, I'd have gone to school for life, just taking classes I enjoyed.
I feel about the same way as Pio. I greatly enjoy learning and love to take classes that are germane to my interests. I'd never go into the "real world" if I had the choice!

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I feel about the same way as Pio. I greatly enjoy learning and love to take classes that are germane to my interests. I'd never go into the "real world" if I had the choice!

+1.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score
I did the part time law school thing my first year. It is not fun. Only a small segment of people are part timers and my impression was that law professors have little or no respect for working professionals (unfortunately), they are beginning their year of ******* with you not realizing this interferes with your professional life you pay the bills with.

I agree with you on the BB thing. Near the end of my law school experience I had a few professors that became obsessed with it-- it's really not a good teaching tool. BB allows the professor to be lazy and the students need to be on call 24/7.

CTGuy

Made Guy
Reaction score

I would love to study some subject like history. My opinion is that law school is not such a great experience. I would not repeat it if there was some other way to become a lawyer.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

I would also never write a Ph.D. level thesis, as from what I found out at the one recruitment meeting I went to for a Ph.D. in public health, it seems you basically do something that interests your faculty sponsor, then he/she takes some/most/all credit for your research, while you pay thousands for the priviledge of being exploited.

Something just terribly wrong there.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would also never write a Ph.D. level thesis, as from what I found out at the one recruitment meeting I went to for a Ph.D. in public health, it seems you basically do something that interests your faculty sponsor, then he/she takes some/most/all credit for your research, while you pay thousands for the priviledge of being exploited.

Something just terribly wrong there.

Graduate programs are a pyramid scheme.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not a law school prof, but I do give assignments for the first day of graduate classes. Why waste time?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Originally Posted by MetroStyles
+1.

Neither of you strike me as having joined the "real world" yet.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
Graduate programs are a pyramid scheme.

Something like that. My two grad degrees were "professional programs," so they both had a capstone project vs. a thesis. I was so ready for my Ph.D. in public health, until I got slapped around at the recruitment meeting over thesis.
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads