• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have no... style...

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CoryB
Or maybe that is simply a bad sartorial decision. Can you post of picture of someone who looks dashing with the top button closed? I just can't visualize it ever looking good except on (maybe) a eccentric with every other piece being perfectly tailored.

for "proper" dress, I agree, its a very poor choice, but some can pull it off. Particularly if you have a bit of punkrock pedigree, a la Get Smart

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
for "proper" dress, I agree, its a very poor choice, but some can pull it off. Particularly if you have a bit of punkrock pedigree, a la Get Smart
Yeah, I was going to mention that the buttoned to the top polo is a mod/skinhead staple. But I don't think anyone successfully rocks the buttoned up tieless dress shirt. It just looks like you forgot your tie or had to ditch it midday because you spilled some beer or dill sauce on it.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Didn't I read somewhere that it was Tom Cruise that popularized wearing a completely buttoned up shirt sans tie, in some movie??

A ringing endorsement if it is true
laugh.gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
Some of the objection might come from the fact, illustrated above, that men who wear fully-buttoned dress shirts with jackets and without ties often make sartorial choices that are clearly bad.
David Lynch might get away with it.

Newton

Reaction score
Hey mate

Given the look you went for in the second picture I would advise you go watch the movie 'Layer Cake.' Daniel Craig is your man. Don't go for the very last look in the movie (ie. the one with the light blue silk shirt) but everything else is quite good, in my opinion.

Well done for taking the comments on board when you had every right to bit right back.

While you are very fresh to this scene, your attitude will take you a long way. You will be surprised just how much you can learn off this forum in a very short amount of time.

I would advise that as you are just now figuring out what you like, that you don't follow some members in buying very expensive suits, shirts etc. Start at what your next door neighbour might call expensive, or what people here might term medium priced.

Ebay is a great resource also, keep an eye on that.

The colour of your shirt is dated, by the way (for a young person). I don't think anyone has yet mentioned that.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Holy thread revival, Batman!

The Devil's Hands

Reaction score
What's wrong with reviving threads?

Newton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Holy thread revival, Batman!

I think there was a forum glitch or something, because until your comment there I had no idea I was bumping a thread.

It was on page one for me, I didn't really look at the date!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads