• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I hate shrinking!!!

Reaction score
What is your strategy in purchasing items that will shrink? I ordered 4 pairs of chinos for business casual from lands end. The 34.25 inch inseam turned into 32 and now I look like an 8 year old. I have the same trouble with jeans as well... 34 shrunk too short, I bought 36 and now those are still way too long. I can't win. Do most people need alterations for fitting clothes? For wool slacks, 34 is perfect because it stays at 34.

Last edited:

biged781

Reaction score
Cold water, hang dry. For pants, hang from the cuff so that they stretch a bit as they dry. I've never had pants shrink up 2+ inches on me. Same with jeans now that I think about it, and I do throw those in the drier.

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I machine wash my denim in cold water and hang them dry. Some of my denim gets tossed in the dryer where they will feel tight for a few minutes but relax afterward. My wool sweaters, scarves, etc, I cold hand wash..soak in mild detergent for 20 min, then gently rinse several times. Gently fold and squeeze lightly. Then lay a thick towel on a table and lay the sweater on the towel for about 10-15 min to wick away as much water as possible, then hang dry inside-out with arms folded over the shoulders. Avoid excessive squeezing, wringing or agitation while washing wool. Using this method, I have had no bad outcomes.
Check in with the Streetwear & Denim section of our forum. There is an entire world of denim that exists and that I am not qualified to respond to.
http://www.styleforum.net/f/13/streetwear-and-denim
Welcome to Styleforum DeltaGammaVega and Brossian Wingor.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What is your strategy in purchasing items that will shrink? I ordered 4 pairs of chinos for business casual from lands end. The 34.25 inch inseam turned into 32 and now I look like an 8 year old. I have the same trouble with jeans as well... 34 shrunk too short, I bought 36 and now those are still way too long. I can't win. Do most people need alterations for fitting clothes? For wool slacks, 34 is perfect because it stays at 34.

Assuming that they were machine washable, did you follow the instructions to the letter, that inseam change seems odd by any account

Reaction score
The tags says machine wash warm, tumble dry medium.

I always wash cold, tumble dry low.

Even my Dockers D3 pants shrunk from 34 to 32.5. Thats 1.5 inches, and they are a cotton/poly blend.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads