I hate shrinking!!!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by DeltaGammaVega, Mar 6, 2013.

1. DeltaGammaVega

DeltaGammaVega Member

What is your strategy in purchasing items that will shrink? I ordered 4 pairs of chinos for business casual from lands end. The 34.25 inch inseam turned into 32 and now I look like an 8 year old. I have the same trouble with jeans as well... 34 shrunk too short, I bought 36 and now those are still way too long. I can't win. Do most people need alterations for fitting clothes? For wool slacks, 34 is perfect because it stays at 34.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  2. biged781

biged781 Senior member

Cold water, hang dry. For pants, hang from the cuff so that they stretch a bit as they dry. I've never had pants shrink up 2+ inches on me. Same with jeans now that I think about it, and I do throw those in the drier.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  3. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

I machine wash my denim in cold water and hang them dry. Some of my denim gets tossed in the dryer where they will feel tight for a few minutes but relax afterward. My wool sweaters, scarves, etc, I cold hand wash..soak in mild detergent for 20 min, then gently rinse several times. Gently fold and squeeze lightly. Then lay a thick towel on a table and lay the sweater on the towel for about 10-15 min to wick away as much water as possible, then hang dry inside-out with arms folded over the shoulders. Avoid excessive squeezing, wringing or agitation while washing wool. Using this method, I have had no bad outcomes.
    Check in with the Streetwear & Denim section of our forum. There is an entire world of denim that exists and that I am not qualified to respond to.
    http://www.styleforum.net/f/13/streetwear-and-denim
    Welcome to Styleforum DeltaGammaVega and Brossian Wingor.

4. GBR

GBR Senior member

Assuming that they were machine washable, did you follow the instructions to the letter, that inseam change seems odd by any account

5. DeltaGammaVega

DeltaGammaVega Member

The tags says machine wash warm, tumble dry medium.

I always wash cold, tumble dry low.

Even my Dockers D3 pants shrunk from 34 to 32.5. Thats 1.5 inches, and they are a cotton/poly blend.