• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I bought a charcoal sharkskin suit as my first suit. Did I make the right decision?

EddieK

Reaction score
So as the title says I bought this charcoal sharkskin suit as my first suit. https://www.indochino.com/product/hayle-sharkskin-charcoal-suit

How is the versatility of this? If I wore this regularly would people be able to notice I'm wearing the same suit?
I think I screwed up by choosing a sharkskin suit. Maybe I should have just gone with like a completely plain charcoal ?

I don't want to have to buy another charcoal suit now as a standard classic suit. I was hoping for this first purchase to be it.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's fine. It's a very subtle pattern that almost no one will recognize.

This biggest issue is that it's Indochino, which is notoriously poor quality and fit.

EddieK

Reaction score
It's fine. It's a very subtle pattern that almost no one will recognize.

This biggest issue is that it's Indochino, which is notoriously poor quality and fit.

Great thanks!
and haha yea IndoChino seems to have a bad rep with fit. Their quality is decent though. Not as good as some other online MTMs but obviously the price is reflected in that.
Anyway I weighed the pros and cons and realized I have the patience and time for remakes and refittings to get that perfect fit I want.

weissmenswear

Reaction score
Charcoal sharkskin in 100% wool is a super versatile first suit. Formal enough for any situation and with just a little texture for interest Nothing wrong with that choice whatsoever.

As others mentioned, Indochino tends to make bold promises on fit and not quite live up in that area, so definitely take some photos after unboxing and post in the fit threads here on SF to get some feedback from the experts. Make sure any fit issues get taken care of by Indochino or a local tailor...they usually have a process for this to ensure the fit is very good in the end. Good luck

EddieK

Reaction score
Charcoal sharkskin in 100% wool is a super versatile first suit. Formal enough for any situation and with just a little texture for interest Nothing wrong with that choice whatsoever.

As others mentioned, Indochino tends to make bold promises on fit and not quite live up in that area, so definitely take some photos after unboxing and post in the fit threads here on SF to get some feedback from the experts. Make sure any fit issues get taken care of by Indochino or a local tailor...they usually have a process for this to ensure the fit is very good in the end. Good luck

Thanks! That's good to know.
I'm definitely going to post some pics here once I get it. I'm new into this whole sartorial thing so I don't think I have as good as an eye for fit as many of you folks.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You would be hard pressed to get a more appropriate and versatile first suit

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics