1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen focusing on quality mechanical watches proudly made in China.

HYPEBEAST - Epitome of cool, or irresponsible, shameless marketers?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Hugo Slime, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Hugo Slime

Hugo Slime Well-Known Member

I recently unfollowed Hypebeast and similar sites as I was sick of being told that ugly trainers were beautiful, what I ‘should be wearing and what I should spend my hard-earned money on.

Yes, if I don’t like it I can unfollow, which I have done, but have any of you got any views on these types of sites?

2. Purplelabel

Purplelabel Distinguished Member

Its Hypebeast, the fuckery is in the name.
    I've long ignored any of these Yeezy/Supreme/Hype shit for a long time now and I have no interest in following it again.

3. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

let's be honest. it's because they made fun of you for wanting to return your rick parka because it was missing the tags, right?

HUGO SLIME - Epitome of Middle-aged Entitlement or Basic Ass Bitchiness?

4. Hugo Slime

Hypebeast would do an article on tags and the rapper or socialite who has the biggest collection, and why you should stand in a queue for two days to get special edition ones. So bore off you dick.

5. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

hey man, they're waiting in queue for that privilege and exclusivity. surely, you can't discount that experience when you whined about incomplete tags when buying something at 50% off!

6. Hugo Slime

I wasn’t DH, I was trying to make the point that they were unlikely to ‘make fun of me’ for wanting tags. I’m done dealing with you, you are obviously on the spectrum so bore off. PS I am enjoying my parka. You should get one.

7. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

trust me. everyone's making fun of you. you're a living meme round these parts. congratulations!

also sorry, rick's too basic for me. especially discount rick (lol!). i need to pay at least $3k retail for everything i buy to peacock my full douchebaggery and make fun of basic scrubs who can only buy things at 50% off.

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

i occasionally read those sites, but it's for entertainment purposes only. I'm a much more verbal person, and frankly, don't find a highly visual medium to be that compelling. The longest that I can browse instagram is about 5 minutes, and that's only if there is something fascinatingly terrible there. I find lifestyle photographs to be incredibly boring. It's like the whole of instagram thinks that soothing pastel colors, coffee, and moody photos of cityscapes to be always fascinating.

9. LA Guy

Also, I love the way this question is phrased so neutrally: "HYPEBEAST - EPITOME OF COOL, OR IRRESPONSIBLE, SHAMELESS MARKETERS?"

I see excellence in critical thinking stemming from this. Carry on.

10. White Lotus

White Lotus Senior Member

I find the Hypebeast site a bit of both but they do cater to the hypebeasts who buy shit to flex only without a sense of individual style.

11. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Hypebeast, is the site still filled with rapists?
    a: Yes
    b: No

12. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

"I enjoy reading prose when discussing aesthetics however allow me to list the purely visual reasons why I don't enjoy lifestyle photographs" LOL

13. LA Guy

Sheesh. It was a rant. Rants are rarely well constructed arguments. In any case, neither of the points are actually incompatible. Here: I am a very verbal person. Purely visual content must be very powerful in order for me to find out compelling. I've not seen anything on Instagram that meets that mark. However, I will read and respond to all types of verbal stimuli. Like this.

Satisfied?