• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

humane and conscious eating

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
while aspertame has toxic byproducts, vast majority of people consume aspartame on levels no where near for those toxic byproducts to cause damage.
Thanks for admitting that there is collateral damage.

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
What you are saying is probably true, but can be said for all living things. All living things have their own bizarre mannerisms, community, communications, and so forth. In my view, we should respect that and appreciate the life we take for food.

It can't be said for all living things because the species must have the capability of possessing a mind with a sense of self and exist as a conscious individual, like humans do. We know for certain this is the case for humans, so we use ourselves and our brains as a model of comparison. Dolphins and elephants both use a complex language like us which is a very strong indicator of high levels of consciousness.

Originally Posted by erdawe
Just curious, do you consider the proposition for improved treatment for the other people (as you put it) to be a moral appeal or an emotional appeal to us humans?

It could be both but it should be a moral obligation if you have a high regard for human welfare and treatment. That is based in the cognitive ability of humans in relation to our levels of consciousness/self awareness and experience of pain and emotion. It would only make sense to extend the moral treatment to other species of people.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've learned never to argue morals with fundamentalists of any kind.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
in all immodesty.

lol at immodesty!

i've been reading it actually and next time i go shopping i'm going to try some of the recipes

great job btw. this is the exactly the kind of book i wanted to read. i much prefer learning to buy what i fancy and then cook it instead of going to a market with a pre conceived recipe.

no dicksuck/asskiss

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nosu3
Food to Fridge was great, wasn't it? One of the better videos out there as far as narration and organization go

No. There's plenty of evidence that shows harmful effects of artificial chemicals and additives, but go ahead and keep consuming it.

Wild-caught seafood is preferred for environmental and health reasons.

I purchased 5 free-range locally farmed chicken breast cutlets from Whole Foods for only $6.

Completely false. Did you learn this from a Monsanto website?

I recently switched from occasionally using organic to organic only. The health consequences of using conventional makes organic worth the price. I've driven by conventional farmer's market during chemical spraying and the amount used is frightening.

lol.

i disagree with monsanto practice and try to consume as little corn products and canola oil as possible without going grass fed. i do enjoy the occasional organic corn, grilled, with chipotle mayo.

i do however think that ppl like you and b1os are too extreme in the other direction. concern for a huge portion of chemicals and additives are honestly way overblown. occasional junk food made with polysorbate 60, xantham gum, carageenan, etc is not going to kill you or cause any significant damage to you. this is clearly not to say that junk food is healthy or environmentally conscious, but religious fundamentals like you make me laugh with your overblown zeal for all things connected to mother nature.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
lol at immodesty!

i've been reading it actually and next time i go shopping i'm going to try some of the recipes

great job btw. this is the exactly the kind of book i wanted to read. i much prefer learning to buy what i fancy and then cook it instead of going to a market with a pre conceived recipe.

no dicksuck/asskiss

I'll kiss his ass. His writing is ******* awesome. I loved the two books.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
do however think that ppl like you and b1os are too extreme in the other direction. concern for a huge portion of chemicals and additives are honestly way overblown. occasional junk food made with polysorbate 60, xantham gum, carageenan, etc is not going to kill you or cause any significant damage to you. this is clearly not to say that junk food is healthy or environmentally conscious, but religious fundamentals like you make me laugh with your overblown zeal for all things connected to mother nature.
I strongly disagree that industrialization or food chemicals and additives are unhealthy as there's little proof that they are.
If someone represents one of the most conservative point of views besdies lobyists (really, you don't get paid for that?) you've to react in the same style. I'm no extremist. I buy non-organic stuff as I buy organic stuff. But I won't ever say that chemicals are healthy or that they aren't unhealthy. Now you finally agree that food additives - if consumed regularly - can cause harm. Two pages ago you didn't say it at all. Good progress! Keep on, dude.

I have never been called a religious fundamentalist yet. Interesting.

Just, out of curiosity, please answer my question why you need to eat meat every day. Most funny thing I've read these days. Or you really are a Ronnie Coleman? Well, then you'd need some more chicken breasts.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
aaaah!
inlove.gif

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by b1os
Just, out of curiosity, please answer my question why you need to eat meat every day.
because it tastes good. not every day, but when i feel like it. Same reason i wear clothing that's not sack cloth and ashes.

Originally Posted by Crane's
Another one of these threads. LOL.

yes indeed.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by b1os
If someone represents one of the most conservative point of views besdies lobyists (really, you don't get paid for that?) you've to react in the same style. I'm no extremist. I buy non-organic stuff as I buy organic stuff. But I won't ever say that chemicals are healthy or that they aren't unhealthy. Now you finally agree that food additives - if consumed regularly - can cause harm. Two pages ago you didn't say it at all. Good progress! Keep on, dude. I have never been called a religious fundamentalist yet. Interesting. Just, out of curiosity, please answer my question why you need to eat meat every day. Most funny thing I've read these days. Or you really are a Ronnie Coleman? Well, then you'd need some more chicken breasts.
maybe i'm an idiot (and i'll gladly admit to that), but i dont see where in my post that i wrote that food additives if consumed regularly can cause harm. i said occasional junk food with food additives wont cause significant harm (significant as in enough harm to be detected). one cigarette will cause harm, but not significant enough to be detected. only food additives are much lower on the scale. i still dont understand where you're going with this lobbyist thing and you've still to clarify it. the religious fundamental in you generalizes chemicals as black and white ie statements like chemicals are unhealthy. what does that even mean? chemicals could be anything. a piece of broccoli is just a huge conglomerate of chemicals. agar agar is a chemical. sodium bicarbonate is a chemical. the media thrives on feeding bullshit science to you and you gobble it up hook, line, and sinker. what's harmful to a rat is not necessarily harmful to a human. seriously. why not just start wiking oh i dont know say aspartame controversy here's two reviews (one here, one here) on aspartame safety. i've already answered you
i need protein to retain muscle
who needs to do anything? you dont NEED to eat. you dont NEED to earn a living. you dont NEED to ******** and make babies. it's a ******* hyperbole. or would you have preferred that i wrote "i would like"? i'm going to stop arguing. you believe food additives are harmful. i dont believe they are. i'm sure you have good reasons for yours, but unless you start showing studies i dont think im going to believe you

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
we all know how threaks like this ends...

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
because it tastes good. not every day, but when i feel like it. Same reason i wear clothing that's not sack cloth and ashes.
Actually I wasn't adressing you at all sir... I agree with your point of view you stated. Just was curious about the reasons why one starves if one has no meat to eat. I eat meat (too) often, too. But I don't say I need it cause I know it isn't even healthy.. still, it tastes good. It simply is no argument to defend ones consumption of poorly grown chicken breasts - if one doesn't even want to support that! - by saying one needs them so hard every day that it's more important than ones ethics.
but i dont see where in my post that i wrote that food additives if consumed regularly can cause harm.
Just read like that. You said vast majorities don't consume enough to cause (significant) damage. There is an amount of people that is not included in vast majorities. They can't consume less then not enough. So they consume more then these vast majorities, which can lead, according to your phrasing, to some damage. That's a more open and less strict view then saying they can't harm at all. If you didn't mean it that's a bummer. By the way, Aspartame was just an example. It should show you the dilemma between forbidding natural products that have been used for hundreds of years in differenct cultures that are forbidden because of a few dumb studies on rats (you agree on that.. cool) and allowing chemical ones that might cause harm which state a few studies. Get what I mean with lobyism?
who needs to do anything? you dont NEED to eat. you dont NEED to earn a living. you dont NEED to ******** and make babies.
If one doesn't eat, one starves. If we don't ******** and make babies, we will vanish from the planet earth in less than say 80 years. Don't get your line of argument, dude. It is no hyperbel to say that one starves without meat. Many people believe that, seriously. Just wanted to know whether you've got a nice study showing that.
i'm going to stop arguing. you believe food additives are harmful. i dont believe they are. i'm sure you have good reasons for yours, but unless you start showing studies i dont think im going to believe you
Cheers! (by the way, you looked out for that baker-enzyme-allergy study?)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads