• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hugo boss suits

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreyFlannelMan

Reaction score
Friends of mine are trying to help me "update my look."  One suggested Hugo Boss suits.  They seem to look decent, but what are others' thoughts regarding fit and quality?

Nick M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the 'look' you're trying to achieve? How do you currently dress?

I find 'Hugo Boss' is the catch-all answer when you ask someone to name 'a good suit'. These people usually don't know much about suits.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Fit : meh
Quality : meh.

Are you looking for a 'European' cut? You want to look classic, yet still stylish? You want to look simple, yet flashy?

Sounds like the Styleforum is for you.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Boss suits are not bad, mass market, not particularly great quality, but fairly modern. If you are considering purchasing one in a dept store, you can do better by buying a number of different choices online, or in stores, among them Canali, Correlliani, etc.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was 20, my parents bought me a Hugo BOSS suit from the boutique shop and I thought BOSS made the best suit.
smile.gif
I would not buy Boss suit anymore simply after I felt the taste of italian sartorias. But, for starters, I say Boss would fit just fine. They got nice trend going. If you are a slender guy can fit in RTW suits easy .. then Hugo is nice choice I say. I have few Hugo suits and sports jackets for a long time.. some are like 7yrs old.. nothing wrong with them. After few dry cleans, still looking sharp. But your taste will change after trying on better labels. It happened to me. Canali is very nice suit. But if you really want sleek modern look, hugo is probably way to go. Zegna Z is not much more expensive than Hugo I believe, but I think Zegna Z's fusing is lot softer(?). Plus, girls seemed to know Boss or Armani (well advertised) than say.. Brioni or Attolini.. so .. u may get more WOWs from them .. if u care about it at all..

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Friends of mine are trying to help me "update my look."  One suggested Hugo Boss suits.  They seem to look decent, but what are others' thoughts regarding fit and quality?
Fit = question of taste and body

Quality = crap

GreyFlannelMan

Reaction score
I am 34, 6'3", about 180. So kind of tall/thin. I have always dressed on the more conservative side: Brooks, J. Press, and a couple of Paul Stuart suits. My friends say that while I look sharp, the suits I wear make me look older than I am (which can be good when meeting clients, but not necessarily as good when out on the town).

Friends thought the Hugo Boss suits might be a good step forward into the 21st Century. I am not seeking to replace my more staid suits, but rather looking to diversify.

Phil

Reaction score
not that I love their quality, but how about H Hilfiger? I say it because the quality is on par with Hugo Boss, but its a bit less money. The look is pretty sharp (3 button jackets, dual vents), and the linings are colorful. Id chose it any day over Boss, as an out on the town, meet the ladies kind of get-up.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Boss suits are so blah. They definatly don't say anything, they more or less will make you blend in. Try out the Polo Blue Label suits for a better fit and fabric. Canali is great as well.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hugo Boss is fused suits but its fabric quality is better than other fused suits except for Zegna Z and Armani Collezioni.

According to your fig. I say Hugo is safe bet if you do not care about fused front suits. I would not bother with DKNY, CK, or Banana Republic etc.. if you look at their front it looks bubbled up.

Yes, Boss suits is mess produced, but they look sharp and the garnmet drape well iff you have build for it.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a Boss tuxedo that I like. However, as you'll find from the clothing snobs here (I've become one too), Boss is only middle of the road stuff. I don't really know your price range, but certainly Paul Stuart suits aren't cheap ($900-$2000). Paul Stuart makes some rather fashionable suits, actually. Check out Canali too, and Zegna, and Ralph Lauren Purple Label. Best/most expensive are: Kiton, Brioni, St. Andrews, Gianluca Isaia, Attolini. Actually, there are many, many more -- do a search of the forum for suit discussions. You can get great deals on EBay.... One consideration -- perhaps part of the problem is the cut of your existing suits. You might take them to a good tailor and say -- what can I do to make these more stylish, etc. For example, make the chest/waist more fitted; narrow the shoulders, etc.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With your build, I think that the typical Hugo Boss cut (fuller, longer torso, very squared shoulders) would probably not be the best cut. In the same (or slightly higher) pricerange, I say that Trend Corneliani and Z Zegna are better bets.

GreyFlannelMan

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the comments thus far.  I will have to check out Zegna, Canali and Corneliani.  Also Purple Label. Any experiences with Etro?  They look beautiful, but have no idea about fit / style.

I am also becoming a bit of a snob about clothing and am willing to spend a fair amount on suits.  The Paul Stuart suits are my more recent purchases, and I generally like them.  The Brooks Bros suits are older, and I tend to view them more as a utility as opposed to something I might wear to express myself.  Kabert -- you may have a point about the cut of my existing suits; the Press suits are sack suits, and the Brooks Bros are cut roomier than perhaps is appropriate.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am 34, 6'3", about 180.  So kind of tall/thin.  I have always dressed on the more conservative side: Brooks, J. Press, and a couple of Paul Stuart suits.  My friends say that while I look sharp, the suits I wear make me look older than I am (which can be good when meeting clients, but not necessarily as good when out on the town).

Friends thought the Hugo Boss suits might be a good step forward into the 21st Century.  I am not seeking to replace my more staid suits, but rather looking to diversify.
Why do you give your weight and height?

I hope you do not want us to tell you is it Boss is ok for your body because it is a matter of taste, of cut. Not of centimeters.

Boss is very poor quality and look (because fused).

Considering price I can even saiy it is a trap for stupid people who only buy a label because they have seen it in a commercial.

That's what is Boss.

Nobody who knows about garment, fabrics and style could tell you another thing.

Tell your friends Boss is a good label to show they must be workers dressed for a mariage.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hugo Boss is fused suits but its fabric quality is better than other fused suits except for Zegna Z and Armani Collezioni.

According to your fig.  I say Hugo is safe bet if you do not care about fused front suits.  I would not bother with DKNY, CK, or Banana Republic etc.. if you look at their front it looks bubbled up.  

Yes, Boss suits is mess produced, but they look sharp and the garnmet drape well iff you have build for it.
But they are double of price of a fused suit of a less known suit of the same quality.

Up to me, fabrics are like construction = poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads