Hugo boss suits

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GreyFlannelMan, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duveen

Duveen Senior member

'If they wear Boss suit in brown with green tie they are farmer dressed for marriage.'

Hi GreyFlannelMan,

Ernest is less than fluent in English and lacks a bit in subtlety.

For a slim-cut, trendier suit without the fusing, etc I might look at Jil Sander/Helmut Lang/Dior Homme rather than Boss. You'll get something a lot more unique.

LA Guy might have other slim-suit suggestions...

2. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I wouldn't say Boss suits are very poor quality, the fabrics are at least decent, and while they aren't of the same caliber as Canali, Corelliani, etc... you can get them reasonably cheaply ($300 or so) at discounters, which makes them at least a decent buy compared to stuff you may find at a dept store. I agree that for $1195 or so they aren't a good value.

3. ernest

ernest Senior member

In brown, what could they be but farmers? Who does wear brown in town? Not gentleman...

What's why i said WORKERs buying their ones and only suits just for a party.

Check arround you. Every worker of a factory, plumber, cooper... would tell you Boss as a top label, even if they have never try a suit in their all life.

Boss is the best brand in mind of poor people (poor in money, knowledge and style).

4. ernest

ernest Senior member

We are talking about tag prices which are at least 600 euros.

200usd would be a correct price but better find a good brad in discount

5. ernest

ernest Senior member

I have a Boss with gilet in beige (so I wear it not very often)

Jacket has never been cleaned, pant may be twice and fabrics has already become very thin between legs...

So it is a good exemple of their fabrics.

Price was 840 euros (4 years ago), I purchased because I had 50% off and because of the gilet and because I was starting in suits.

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I personally like Costume National for slim suits. They are slim, but for a slightly more muscular built than Helmut Lang usually cuts for; and Jill Sander suits look best if you have a very narrow body and narrower shoulders. And ernest, I think that Hugo Boss produces some fine quality products at their pricepoint (although I am not a huge fan of any of their lines.) No, Hugo Boss is not Attolini, nor is it Canali, nor is it even Dunhill, but it sells for considerably less (about 20-30% less than Dunhill). Hugo Boss has famously stringent quality control, and the construction and materials used in their products are, while not exemplary, not bad either. Their products suit a lot of people's needs and body types, and can be accomodated in their budgets.

Also, I think that it is a little arrogant to call tradesmen "poor" and ignorant, when you are unemployed, live at home (with obviously exasperated parents) and have some of the worst tastes in bedroom decor that I've seen this side of Austin Powers. And Austin Powers was doing it for camp effect. You are more like Mr. Bean crashing at Austin Power's place for more than just a few nights. Seriously, man. The French get a bad enough name already without your broke ass insulting people because they ask questions about Hugo Boss.

7. ernest

ernest Senior member

Keep your own business and talk about Boss and people who wear it...

8. Styleman

Styleman In Time Out

I don't want, or mean to be rude, simply frank, on a world scale, Americans have a far worse repute.

9. Styleman

Styleman In Time Out

(LA Guy @ 01 Sep. 2004, 5:06) I personally like Costume National for slim suits. Â They are slim, but for a slightly more muscular built than Helmut Lang usually cuts for; and Jill Sander suits look best if you have a very narrow body and narrower shoulders. Â And ernest, I think that Hugo Boss produces some fine quality products at their pricepoint (although I am not a huge fan of any of their lines.) Â No, Hugo Boss is not Attolini, nor is it Canali, nor is it even Dunhill, but it sells for considerably less (about 20-30% less than Dunhill). Â Hugo Boss has famously stringent quality control, and the construction and materials used in their products are, while not exemplary, not bad either. Â Their products suit a lot of people's needs and body types, and can be accomodated in their budgets. Also, I think that it is a little arrogant to call tradesmen "poor" and ignorant, when you are unemployed, live at home (with obviously exasperated parents) and have some of the worst tastes in bedroom decor that I've seen this side of Austin Powers. Â And Austin Powers was doing it for camp effect. Â You are more like Mr. Bean crashing at Austin Power's place for more than just a few nights. Â Seriously, man. Â The French get a bad enough name already without your broke ass insulting people because they ask questions about Hugo Boss.
    Keep your own business and talk about Boss and people who wear it...
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. ernest

ernest Senior member

who (of course)

11. ernest

ernest Senior member

(LA Guy @ 02 Sep. 2004, 01:06) I personally like Costume National for slim suits. Â They are slim, but for a slightly more muscular built than Helmut Lang usually cuts for; and Jill Sander suits look best if you have a very narrow body and narrower shoulders. Â And ernest, I think that Hugo Boss produces some fine quality products at their pricepoint (although I am not a huge fan of any of their lines.) Â No, Hugo Boss is not Attolini, nor is it Canali, nor is it even Dunhill, but it sells for considerably less (about 20-30% less than Dunhill). Â Hugo Boss has famously stringent quality control, and the construction and materials used in their products are, while not exemplary, not bad either. Â Their products suit a lot of people's needs and body types, and can be accomodated in their budgets. Also, I think that it is a little arrogant to call tradesmen "poor" and ignorant, when you are unemployed, live at home (with obviously exasperated parents) and have some of the worst tastes in bedroom decor that I've seen this side of Austin Powers. Â And Austin Powers was doing it for camp effect. Â You are more like Mr. Bean crashing at Austin Power's place for more than just a few nights. Â Seriously, man. Â The French get a bad enough name already without your broke ass insulting people because they ask questions about Hugo Boss.
    I don't want, or mean to be rude, simply frank, on a world scale, Americans have a far worse repute.
    I like english garment. Better than french for men.

12. Styleman

Styleman In Time Out

(Styleman @ 01 Sep. 2004, 5:18)
    I personally like Costume National for slim suits. Â They are slim, but for a slightly more muscular built than Helmut Lang usually cuts for; and Jill Sander suits look best if you have a very narrow body and narrower shoulders. Â And ernest, I think that Hugo Boss produces some fine quality products at their pricepoint (although I am not a huge fan of any of their lines.) Â No, Hugo Boss is not Attolini, nor is it Canali, nor is it even Dunhill, but it sells for considerably less (about 20-30% less than Dunhill). Â Hugo Boss has famously stringent quality control, and the construction and materials used in their products are, while not exemplary, not bad either. Â Their products suit a lot of people's needs and body types, and can be accomodated in their budgets. Also, I think that it is a little arrogant to call tradesmen "poor" and ignorant, when you are unemployed, live at home (with obviously exasperated parents) and have some of the worst tastes in bedroom decor that I've seen this side of Austin Powers. Â And Austin Powers was doing it for camp effect. Â You are more like Mr. Bean crashing at Austin Power's place for more than just a few nights. Â Seriously, man. Â The French get a bad enough name already without your broke ass insulting people because they ask questions about Hugo Boss.
    I like english garment. Better than french for men.
    Only Dunhill, all the rest are made only for the sactorial peacock. (T&A, G&H, H&H, TP, H&K etc.) What of YSL, Lanvin, Charvet, much better than English.

13. LA Guy

Notice that in my post, I make some constructive recommendations as to other "modern" brands, as was suggested by other posters, and make qualified and imo reasonable assessments of Hugo Boss products. You, on the other hand, manage to denigrate an entire (socio-economic) class of people and a perfectly fine clothing company all in the same sentence (or rather, in two sentences in two separate posts[​IMG]
    You also manage to show remarkable lack of tact and graciousness, by boasting (?) about how great (or not great) a deal (to the dollar amount) you bought X item for, and qualify what you perceive to be a not so great buy by stating (e.g."because I was starting in suits".) Notice that nobody else on the forum does this. It is "low class". For someone with a fledgling knowledge of the fashion industry (at best), mediocre (and I am tempted to say crap) tastes gleamed from reading a few "Style for dummies" books, no job, no home of your own, and an obviously unsustainable habit (no job = no income = no money for clothes,) you are awfully eager to throws stones through windows. Get a job. I bet that you would make a great Donald Duck at EuroDisney. That might give you both some humility and some self-esteem. Punk.

14. ernest

ernest Senior member

Obviously, I did not not compare Boss with nice suits like Lanvin, Keaton or Canali because as you have noticed it, it is NOT the same product/price.

I was talking about fused suits with fair fabrics which were at least 30% less than Boss (Feraud, De Fursac, Pierre Cardin, and other less known brand)

Most people who buy a Boss thing it is one of the best brand.

Not people who buy Feraud (which is better than Boss) or de Fursac

Conclusion = Boss is a trap

Falling in such obvious trap means NOT being very smart...

15. LA Guy

Fair enough. In my experience, (BTW, I am neither American nor French), most Americans abroad seem to be very aware of their bad reputation, and try to better it. The Germans, English, and French, in that order, don't seem to care that they are in fact representing their countries. My Spanish friends cringe at the very thought of the British and German contingents that make their pilgrimages to Ibiza.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.