• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hugo Boss Suit for a tall guy?

spkovach

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

It's complete desperation and frustration that has led me to this forum.

So: I'm a recent college grad and I just moved to New York City and I have a series of job interviews in the next couple of weeks. My parents surprised me by offering to buy me my first suit in preparation for the real world and whatnot.

So we went around Macy's and tried a bunch on, and there was always something a little "off". We ended up at Hugo Boss where I found a grey "Aikonen/Hol" fit Red Label suit. It fit absolutely perfectly, and I loved it. So we bought it. A week later, one of the front buttons came off and some of the stitching on the back was coming loose as well. So we returned it, and now I've got a solid 800 dollars of store credit at Hugo Boss.

The problem is, I cannot find the same suit anywhere. I know that they stopped making the particular fit. Here in NYC, I've found myself browsing one of the HB stores, and have been close to buying the Amaro/Heise fit as well as the Astro/Hill. The problem is in the shoulders. When I stand with my arms at my side, there is air between my shoulder and the shoulder pads on the suit. It creates an almost "winged" look - like there are two sharp corners sticking up on the edge of my shoulders. It's hard to explain. When I move my arms around, it gets worse. The salesmen told me that it's natural and creates a "masculine" look, but I think he was just hoping for his commission. I know that, when I looked in the mirror, I didn't like what I saw. Everything else was great.... it's just the shoulders that drive me crazy.

I'm 6'4'' and skinny with long legs. I definitely like the slim-fit look. I'm undecided between a good grey or a solid black. I know that grey is more versatile. Whether I like it or not, I'm stuck with Hugo Boss, so any advice on different fits I should try would be most appreciated. I've visited the HB website but it hasn't helped much. In fact, I've noticed that they use the same picture for several different suits.

If I can't find something else, I'll probably just get the Amaro/Heise and live with having wings sticking out of my shoulders.

Thanks in advance for any advice or recommendations.

chocsosa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

It's complete desperation and frustration that has led me to this forum.

So: I'm a recent college grad and I just moved to New York City and I have a series of job interviews in the next couple of weeks. My parents surprised me by offering to buy me my first suit in preparation for the real world and whatnot.

So we went around Macy's and tried a bunch on, and there was always something a little "off". We ended up at Hugo Boss where I found a grey "Aikonen/Hol" fit Red Label suit. It fit absolutely perfectly, and I loved it. So we bought it. A week later, one of the front buttons came off and some of the stitching on the back was coming loose as well. So we returned it, and now I've got a solid 800 dollars of store credit at Hugo Boss.

The problem is, I cannot find the same suit anywhere. I know that they stopped making the particular fit. Here in NYC, I've found myself browsing one of the HB stores, and have been close to buying the Amaro/Heise fit as well as the Astro/Hill. The problem is in the shoulders. When I stand with my arms at my side, there is air between my shoulder and the shoulder pads on the suit. It creates an almost "winged" look - like there are two sharp corners sticking up on the edge of my shoulders. It's hard to explain. When I move my arms around, it gets worse. The salesmen told me that it's natural and creates a "masculine" look, but I think he was just hoping for his commission. I know that, when I looked in the mirror, I didn't like what I saw. Everything else was great.... it's just the shoulders that drive me crazy.

I'm 6'4'' and skinny with long legs. I definitely like the slim-fit look. I'm undecided between a good grey or a solid black. I know that grey is more versatile. Whether I like it or not, I'm stuck with Hugo Boss, so any advice on different fits I should try would be most appreciated. I've visited the HB website but it hasn't helped much. In fact, I've noticed that they use the same picture for several different suits.

If I can't find something else, I'll probably just get the Amaro/Heise and live with having wings sticking out of my shoulders.

Thanks in advance for any advice or recommendations.
The shoulder pads are always messed up on HB's... they make the shoulders pads to slant so if you have square shoulders then the lumpiness happens...you wont get too much love for Hugo Boss esp not at that price.. personally I would not pay for over $300 for Hugo Boss.. I would recommend you go to suit supply in Soho...you can get so much more for so much less...Hugo Boss cant even touch them from a quality stand point and they are just as slim with better built shoulders...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads