• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hugo/Boss Black Tux quality?

NMW1982

Reaction score
What is the general consesus on the quality of Hugo/boss black tuxes? They fit me very well otr but I am not sure what the quality is. Thanks.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don't wear it that much and can get it at an agreeable price, and it fits you that well, then get it.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it fits well and you didn't pay a ton of money for it, it's fine. Hugo Boss is almost always overpriced, considering the quality.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NMW1982
What is the general consesus on the quality of Hugo/boss black tuxes? They fit me very well otr but I am not sure what the quality is. Thanks.

It shouldn't fall apart if that's what you mean. Buying one at retail price is a mistake (I used to own one that I paid retail for, in my pre-SF days). There are lots of vastly superior dinner suits you can buy for the same or less money.

Bellison

Reaction score
Thanks, but any suggestions? Which brands are superior for the same price? The Hugo tux is roughly $1K.

Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
It shouldn't fall apart if that's what you mean. Buying one at retail price is a mistake (I used to own one that I paid retail for, in my pre-SF days). There are lots of vastly superior dinner suits you can buy for the same or less money.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bellison
Thanks, but any suggestions? Which brands are superior for the same price? The Hugo tux is roughly $1K.

Lots. What is your size? Check Ebay.

Here's a Zegna DB. It's about 5 orders of magnitude better than the Boss ($2,400 retail) for about $800.

Here's a Zegna single breasted for $630.

Or support StyleForum by shopping with sponsors (link through the SF website):

Shop The Finest has a selection that is about 10 orders of magnitude better than the Boss for only slightly more.

Ehaberdasher has Belvest (very nice) for about $800-900 and Brioni (very elite quality) for $1800 ($6,000 retail).

Bellison

Reaction score
I love how styleforum members love to bash the hell out of something but then don't offer alternatives. What's the point of saying something is bad if you don't have something better to compare it to?

Originally Posted by sho'nuff
please dont pay 1000 for a hugo boss tuxedo. unless you are a difficult size to find and that is the only one you can find and you need it now.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love how styleforum members love to bash the hell out of something but then don't offer alternatives. What's the point of saying something is bad if you don't have something better to compare it to?

Patience my man...see above.

Also, I was able to find a $1600 Hickey Freeman tux (single breasted, peak lapels) for $500 at a Norstrom Rack store. I needed a white dinner jacket and found a nice Canali ($1500 retail IIRC) for about $500 on sale at Stanley Korshak here in Dallas.

Bellison

Reaction score
I'm looking for a shawl collar with one button. I also need slim cut.

Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Lots. What is your size? Check Ebay.

Here's a Zegna DB. It's about 5 orders of magnitude better than the Boss ($2,400 retail) for about $800.

Here's a Zegna single breasted for $630.

Or support StyleForum by shopping with sponsors (link through the SF website):

Shop The Finest has a selection that is about 10 orders of magnitude better than the Boss for only slightly more.

Ehaberdasher has Belvest (very nice) for about $800-900 and Brioni (very elite quality) for $1800 ($6,000 retail).

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm looking for a shawl collar with one button. I also need slim cut.

It depends on what you mean by slim cut. RLBL is very slim (look on Ebay). RLPL has some slim cut ones (also check Ebay)...though these may be a bit more, even discounted. Any of the Italian brands could be "slimmer" than your garden variety American brands.

The problem ultimately that people have with HB products is that they are a fashion label and don't focus on quality construction (fused chest, etc.). Is it going to look bad? Probably not. Is it worth the $1,000 you'll pay at retail? Not even close.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics