• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hugo Boss and other designer suits for slim/tailored fit

albertinsd

Reaction score
Hello

I have some questions I need answered asap, thanks. I'm shopping around for a suit for a wedding and I found a nice Hugo Boss suit at a local store that is on sale. I'm 6 feet, size 38R, and 155 pounds...basically tall and slim. I'm looking for something that has the slim, sleek, tailored look which I believe is called the European cut. Can someone recommend some designer brands out there that have what I'm looking for? I especially like brands like Versace, Armani, Kenneth Cole, DKNY, and Hugo Boss and it'd be nice to pay not more than $800.

Now back to the Boss suit I found...I believe the tag said it's a Scorsese/Movie suit and the inside of the suit says it's made of super 100. At first I tried the 38R and it felt kinda big and a bit baggy, as I do like more of a tailored look. Then I tried the 36R and felt great in it and the lady said it fits me perfectly so I was excited. Is this suit a black or red label and how would you know this? Does this suit have the European Cut I'm looking for or is it something else? Also I'm a bit confused on the difference btw black vs red label as, from what I've read online, they're both pretty modern and slim. This suit has 3 buttons to it although I wished it only had 2 as I hear two buttons fit a more younger look and I am in my 20s. Oh and this is the first time in my life I've had to use a suit so I hope this one purchase will last years and years as I'm not a fan of suits really and never have to wear one. Thanks again for your help.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by albertinsd
Anyone...please? I need to know as I'll be heading to the store in a few hours, thanks.
Don't buy BOSS. This is coming from a guy who started with Boss and has since moved on. Boss is a ****** suit that will bubble and come undone quickly - not even nearly worth the retail price, or even the sale price. Try thickasthieves. You'll like it. The Hugo Boss will not be that slim, nor will it actually last you any appreciable amount of time.

csulli13

Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
Don't buy BOSS. This is coming from a guy who started with Boss and has since moved on.

Boss is a ****** suit that will bubble and come undone quickly - not even nearly worth the retail price, or even the sale price.

Try thickasthieves. You'll like it. The Hugo Boss will not be that slim, nor will it actually last you any appreciable amount of time.

Personally I like Hugo Boss, as long as it's $300 or less. thickasthieves is probably a better option though, as long as you have enough lead time. If the wedding is coming up in under 4 weeks you're going to need something off the rack. Check out Saks Off 5th, they're having a 40% off suit sale right now. You can pick up Hugo Boss for around $300, and they'll have some Zegna and Isaia suits for $850 or so if you want something slim cut and higher end.

brittain

Reaction score
I am another ex-Hugo Boss wearer. If you can find it for under $300 its worth it, anything higher and I would keep looking.

Dont even consider Kenneth Cole or DKNY. Spend at least a week reading up around here about suit construction and you'll know why. Id recommend going to stores to find what you like, then checking out the Buyers and Sellers forum to find it much cheaper. If you know what sizes you need, you cant go wrong.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how soon is the wedding? if its this weekend, just get the boss suit. Or better yet, find a ralph lauren store and get ralph lauren black label suit.

if you could wait, hunt around B&S and eBay for RLPL, Theory, Black Fleece suits. All those are slim fitting and way better constructed than Hugo Boss suits.

albertinsd

Reaction score
Wow I never knew Boss was so hated...darn, now I don't know what to do. As I said before, I do want a name brand like the ones I mentioned....now very quickly, why are some of the brands I mentioned bad, specifically Hugo Boss? I was browsing through some Kenneth Cole and Boss suits and the quality looks excellent...I mean the material was just superb and the construction looked great.

Assuming that I'll only wear this suit like once every 4-5 years or so, would it be ok to buy it? It's at a discount for around $369 or so. I just want to own a good suit that I can use for the very rare special occasions for me that come up...the suit will mainly sit hanging in my closet.

Oh and the wedding is on August 29th.

kuwisdelu

Reaction score
For $369, fitting near-perfectly, and for someone not a big fan of wearing suits often, go ahead and get it.

If you're interested in finding something better or understanding why those brands are so looked down upon around here, read more about it with the "search" function or just lurk. Honestly, you can find something much, much better here on B&S or eBay if you know how to look, but you're not at that level yet and you really have to know your size and what fits you. Besides, I'm not sure 8 days is enough time to score the SF-favorite size of 38 (or harder yet--36!) on B&S and get it altered in time.

$369 have been spent on much worse, far-less well-fitting suits. Just make sure it actually *does* fit. I suggest browsing the WYWN pinned above to see some well-fitting suits. Salespeople don't always know best, and are sometimes just looking for a sale.

albertinsd

Reaction score
Rghhhh so many decisions and time and energy are an issue...I feel drained just considering all the different options. I wish I had more time to do research on a suit but I don't. Also with the issues people have with Boss, I'm assuming they wear their suits often, unlike me who will probably wear a suit under 10 times in my life so maybe I'll be ok. Now why am I still hoping someone will convince me one way or other? I'm going to look around some and check the racks to see if anything comes up.

Ok, so considering I only want a name brand from either Boss, Kenneth Cole, DKNY, BCBG, Calvin Klein, Theory, Versace, or Armani, which ones are relatively good or bad and why? Forgive me for all the questions...I never seem to be sure what I like.

spidercan

Reaction score
Emporio Armani is a very fitting suit, that some here, including myself, like. There is the argument that it is a bit more fashionable and thus may not last you 10 yrs stylistically speaking, however. The website currently has a sale. I would not even consider your Macys Calvin Klein or Kenneth Cole a name brand. If talking about general tiers of brands there are the crap brands tier like cK, DKNY and KC which are not worth your time. Then aspirational brands like Boss and Armani (with Boss being one of the lowest in this tier). Then above those are brands that are so luxurious the common person has never heard of them, although your avg king or prince probably has.

Check this link:
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=19370&page=4

ZackyBoy

Reaction score
ARghhhh so many decisions and time and energy are an issue...I feel drained just considering all the different options. I wish I had more time to do research on a suit but I don't. Also with the issues people have with Boss, I'm assuming they wear their suits often, unlike me who will probably wear a suit under 10 times in my life so maybe I'll be ok. Now why am I still hoping someone will convince me one way or other? I'm going to look around some and check the racks to see if anything comes up. Ok, so considering I only want a name brand from either Boss, Kenneth Cole, DKNY, BCBG, Calvin Klein, Theory, Versace, or Armani, which ones are relatively good or bad and why? Forgive me for all the questions...I never seem to be sure what I like.
Why? This makes absolutely no sense. It can't be money because ****** Boss and DKNY suits are expensive at retail. It can't be because you know what's best, because putting KC and CK amongst others in that list shows you don't. Just get a Brooks Brothers suit on sale. If you will wear it less than 10 times in your life why does it matter anyway? Or just get a cheap suit for 2-300 and spend the rest of your budget tailoring it to fit the way you want.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow I never knew Boss was so hated...darn, now I don't know what to do. As I said before, I do want a name brand like the ones I mentioned....now very quickly, why are some of the brands I mentioned bad, specifically Hugo Boss? I was browsing through some Kenneth Cole and Boss suits and the quality looks excellent...I mean the material was just superb and the construction looked great.

Assuming that I'll only wear this suit like once every 4-5 years or so, would it be ok to buy it? It's at a discount for around $369 or so. I just want to own a good suit that I can use for the very rare special occasions for me that come up...the suit will mainly sit hanging in my closet.

Oh and the wedding is on August 29th.

The quality and construction of BOSS and Kenneth Cole is atrociously bad. Just do a search of the forums and find out why. In fact, most of the "name brand" suits are terrible, as many more senior forum members will attest. Remember, looks can be deceiving.

If the wedding's on the 29th, ugh, well, you're in a pickle. Try a Ralph Lauren store and see if you can pick up a Black Label on sale. They can alter it in the store for you. Sure, it'll cost a bit more, but it will be worth it in the long run.

Brand names ≠ quality.

brittain

Reaction score
just buy the Boss for $369 and be happy with it. You'll wear it once a year, your friends will think its cool because its Hugo Boss, and you wont know the difference. enjoy the wedding and dont worry about the suit.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MakersCBDblood