• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hugh Laurie's 'House' style?

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been watching a lot of the TV show "House" lately. Wasn't sure I'd like it (I don't usually care for shows about doctors, hospitals, or medical stuff)-- but I'm hooked. Interestingly, the main character shares a few things with Sherlock Holmes (I think they both reside at apartment 221B, their drug addiction, etc.)

Wife bought a season on DVD, and the more I watch the more I'm curious about Laurie's style, which is similar to mine (when I wear a suit jacket and jeans, that is)-- Who makes his tailored jackets, I wonder? Anyone know?

Of course, it is cool to see my former sartorial hero Bertram Wooster back on TV, very different yet stylishly clad in a modern rumpled buttondown shirt, rocker tshirt, denim, and a tailored jacket (and gymshoes, but I won't mention that as the character has a bum leg and works on his feet in a hospital all day)

Pretty sure I have noticed pick-stitched lapels on at least some of his jackets, but maybe not all.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hugh Laurie does spreads for Bottega Veneta but I'm not sure if that matches his show wardrobe. The jackets are typically small-lapeled, eh? Though his shoes ruin it for me.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loathe his style... ugh... open shirt and contrasting t-shirt under a jacket... and look at these notches...

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
big athletic sneakers, medium blue jeans, wrinkled buttondown over a colored t-shirt topped off with a pinstriped orphan jacket. It's 100% AmJack, but in a "TV fit" (which is to say everything is sized down 2 from what would be worn by living & breathing amjacks)

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Love the actor (Blackadder) ,love the show ,love the character but i bloody hate his clothes...

To fit the character ,they imposed him a odd style ...
Too much for me the combo jeans ,denim shirt and tailored jacket.

nmoraitis

Reaction score
I'd be surprised if his suits were tailored and were not just OTR. Not a fan of his style to be honest, good show though.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
As much as I consider him to be my role model and career guidance counselor (except for sometimes brutually obvious medical mistakes and impossibilities), I've always found his style to be goofy and forced. I've rolled my eyes at a number of episodes were he's only wearing a circa-2000 graphic tee under that sportcoat. It's like his entire outfit, sans the Nikes, was purchased using a Target gift card he got for Christmas.

It must be the producers' senses of irony. If he had a patient that dressed like he did I'm sure he'd just let 'er rip.

alan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they deliberately want him to have a "i dont care how sloppy my clothes are, screw clothes" look.

But yeah he doesnt look good at all.

The show was fun at first but it gets old. They try too hard to shove his "attitude" into every little sentence he says, it gets boring after a while.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who is still having difficulty seeing Hugh Laurie as anything other than as the mad Prince Regent
tongue.gif
? Everytime I catch "House" I automatically think of Blackadder (even more than Bertie & Wooster - the fact that Stephen Fry was in both complicates it even more for me
biggrin.gif
)

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I definately don't think he's supposed to look stylish. He's supposed to look like all he does is think about the "case" at hand. Many people have critiqued the sneakers, but I think that he wears them for comfort because of the leg problem.

paper clip

Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Am I the only one who is still having difficulty seeing Hugh Laurie as anything other than as the mad Prince Regent
tongue.gif
? Everytime I catch "House" I automatically think of Blackadder (even more than Bertie & Wooster - the fact that Stephen Fry was in both complicates it even more for me
biggrin.gif
)

I see him as Mr. Little in Stuart Little (my kids like that movie - oh all right, I liked it too) http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/01649...hint=tt0164912 very Trad!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics