• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to Wear A Long Sleeve Polo

Andre A

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I came across this article in Fashion Bean (http://www.fashionbeans.com/2014/ways-to-wear-the-long-sleeve-polo-shirt/) that talks about how to wear a long sleeve polo. Long sleeve polos can sometimes look grandpa-ish, but here it shows some good examples of sharp looking guys wearing them even combining them with a suit. Where do you get your long sleeve polos and how do you wear them?

A

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one made by Ralph Lauren, which is where I get some of my polo shirts (my favorite polo shirts are probably from BB but they don't have much selection with long sleeves). It doesn't get a lot of wear to be honest. I'd never wear the thing with a suit and don't understand why anyone would. In any situation where I'd wear it casually (I don't think one can wear a polo any other way now that I think about it), a sweater generally provides a more elegant look. If one already wearing something with long sleeves, I also have a hard time picturing how an OCBD would not also be a better look if one isn't wearing a sweater. I try it every so often with various cotton trousers when I'm going for a casual look to see if my mind has changed and it usually hasn't.

This might also be something where you'd get some good answers and ideas from the SW&D side of the forum. I'm sure people over in CM own these things, but a long sleeve polo isn't really CM or really even casual CM.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got several long-sleeve polo shirts and I think that they can look good with an odd jacket and trousers as long as the polo shirt has a shirt-style collar, rather than the more traditional, ribbed collar.

As an example of how to wear one with a suit, here is Tumblr #menswear favourite Patrick Johnson, of the eponymously-named P.Johnson Tailors in Australia, wearing a long-sleeved polo with a suit:

http://patrickjohnsontailors.tumblr.com/day/2013/12/09/

Last edited:

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Corduroys, the forgotten type of pants, could help prevent looking 'old.' Jeans seem too casual for long-sleeve polo shirts.

wjdecker

Reaction score
Patrick McGoohan in

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I came across this article in Fashion Bean (http://www.fashionbeans.com/2014/ways-to-wear-the-long-sleeve-polo-shirt/) that talks about how to wear a long sleeve polo. Long sleeve polos can sometimes look grandpa-ish, but here it shows some good examples of sharp looking guys wearing them even combining them with a suit. Where do you get your long sleeve polos and how do you wear them?

A

I practically live in long sleeve polos.However, the collection of douchebags you characterize as
"sharp looking guys" in the Fashion Bean article misrepresents a classical and very versatile style.
The Patrick Mc Goohan photos are a better illustration.

Last edited:

J011yroger

Reaction score
I'm not big on long sleeve polos, but absolutely love rugby shirts. Would you consider them cousins?

J

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads