• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how to tell if a shoe is expensive

DavidinGray

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Expensive?

Pointed+brown+shoes.jpg

Possibly. Worth the price? Impossible.

DIG

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by glenjay
Your question introduces somewhat of a fallacy, specifically "post hoc ergo propter hoc".

Powerful business people (and others that appreciate shoes), do not look at shoes to see if they are expensive, they look at them to see if they are shoes of good quality and well cared for.

So the question would be how do you tell a quality shoe from a cheap shoe.

1) Quality leather seems thicker and richer than cheap leather (and holds a better shine)
2) The waist of the shoe will typically be narrower on a higher quality shoe to fit the foot better.
3) The heel counter of the shoe will have more shape the fit the foot better.
4) Leather sole (typically thicker means better, but not always). English style is thicker soles, and Italian style is thinner soles, in general.
5) Leather stacked heel

Shoes should be polished and repaired as needed. The rubber insert on the heel cap should be replace before it becomes worn down to the leather. The term "well heeled" comes from the days when shoes were handed down from older to younger child until the shoes were worn out. If you could afford new shoes, or afford to resole and replace the heel cap of your old shoes, you were considered well heeled.

An excellent post. Thanks for sharing the insights.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hoodleehoo
They say powerful business people look at your shoes first. Since you can't see logos on dress shoes, what do they look for? To me, some of the expensive shoes look no different than cheap ones and some of the ones I thought looked expensive were rather cheap.

And they can see logos and brands on suits, dress shirts, ties, top coats, etc.?
confused.gif

"To me, some of the expensive shoes look no different than cheap ones and some of the ones I thought looked expensive were rather cheap"

To powerful business people, some of the good employees look no different than the bad employees and some of the ones they thought looked smart were rather dumb.
lol8[1].gif

I. Gentantithesis

Reaction score
Must one deign to the middlebrow bourgeois depths of vulgar commerce?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by I. Gentantithesis
Must one deign to the middlebrow bourgeois depths of vulgar commerce?

Aren't there other forums for that?

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
Quality leather and finishing. When you see it, you know it.

I think that is true. Also, if you have some high quality shoes and have spent some time looking on shoes in high-end stores, you notice. Since I started buying better shoes, I notice that most of my colleagues are wearing cheap, bulky shoes with extremely poor looking leather. It often even looks "synthetic".

You also notice that some people do not polish their shoes very often.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Generally speaking, it's much easier to spot a crappy shoe at first glance than a good shoe. A good shoe makes itself known through lack of crappiness more than anything else.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
Generally speaking, it's much easier to spot a crappy shoe at first glance than a good shoe. A good shoe makes itself known through lack of crappiness more than anything else.

Yes. Plus the gemming factor.

Originally Posted by Insight
Excellent choice of name on the sock puppet, FNB.

No.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads