• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: Castangia from SARTORIALE

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 6th auction is for a Castangia Suit or Sportcoat from SARTORIALE Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

How to button dress shirts

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Jun 9, 2005
Messages
39,939
Reaction score
28,509
What is the most common method to fasten buttons on your shirts? What is the best one?

Order-wise, do you start from the bottom or top - why and why not?

Direction-wise, do you position the button vertically and push it through the hole? if so, which side first - right or left?
 

Tibo

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
375
Reaction score
1
I have buttons replaced with magnets. That saves time for (un)fastening, time that has value and can better be used for other purposes.
 

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Jun 9, 2005
Messages
39,939
Reaction score
28,509
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Top -> bottom.

I feel stupid for reading and replying.

Thank you
Originally Posted by Tibo
I have buttons replaced with magnets. That saves time for (un)fastening, time that has value and can better be used for other purposes.
Like posting "how to" threads on the intrawebz?
 

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
10,562
Reaction score
6,347
Originally Posted by gdl203
What is the most common method to fasten buttons on your shirts? What is the best one?

Order-wise, do you start from the bottom or top - why and why not?

Direction-wise, do you position the button vertically and push it through the hole? if so, which side first - right or left?


I...

sense..

SNARK

!
 

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jan 3, 2008
Messages
12,856
Reaction score
2,140
+1, i can offer you assistance on how to tie your shoes.
 

CharlesAlexander

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2008
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
12
I get 8 or 9 of my friends together because I like to button them all at the same time.
 

StolenCar

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2006
Messages
55
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
+1, i can offer you assistance on how to tie your shoes.

Left first than the right shoe? Or the other way 'round? I can never remember.
 

Reborn

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2007
Messages
700
Reaction score
10
I only unbutton the top three then slide the shirt over my head. Saves on wear and tear to the bottom buttons. Good thread
 

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
10,883
Reaction score
49
I start at the middle and work up and down alternately, so: 4, 5, 3, 6, 2, 7, 1. And I push the buttons in left-first on odd-numbered days and right-side-first on even-numbered days to balance the wear that the buttons experience from being buttoned.
 

why

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2007
Messages
9,735
Reaction score
406
I button the second-most button from the top and work my way down before finally fastening to top button.
 

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Jun 9, 2005
Messages
39,939
Reaction score
28,509
Originally Posted by grimslade
I start at the middle and work up and down alternately, so: 4, 5, 3, 6, 2, 7, 1. And I push the buttons in left-first on odd-numbered days and right-side-first on even-numbered days to balance the wear that the buttons experience from being buttoned.

I do exactly the same, except the opposite. Or rather the inverse.
 

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Mar 31, 2006
Messages
10,883
Reaction score
49
Originally Posted by gdl203
I do exactly the same, except the opposite. Or rather the inverse.

Wait--what?????

You button left to right on even days? My right, or yours? Only a noob does that. You'll ruin your buttons too. I bet you don't even condition them between wearings...
 

why

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2007
Messages
9,735
Reaction score
406
I do it in front of a mirror, so I usually button left to right on odd days. My shirts are slowly getting stretched out on the left side due to the majority of months ending in 31 days. And leap years are a killer.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 30 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 141 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 265 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 129 15.9%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 70 8.6%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 48 5.9%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 24 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 22 2.7%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.1%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 7 0.9%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 8 1.0%
  • 100+

    Votes: 51 6.3%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
428,992
Messages
9,226,978
Members
193,682
Latest member
geppo19
Top