• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How should we drive cross-country?

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We're meeting in New York and then flying back to Spain together from LA, so it'll be one way.

Kwilk, I don't think she's into cow-humping, and all I know in Indiana is stuff she won't care about, like Notre Dame and the Speedway. Anything else we could see/do?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheIdler
We're meeting in New York and then flying back to Spain together from LA, so it'll be one way.

Kwilk, I don't think she's into cow-humping, and all I know in Indiana is stuff she won't care about, like Notre Dame and the Speedway. Anything else we could see/do?

LOL I've never been cowhumping, but even cow tipping is overrated. There's not really anything to do in Indiana, to make it worth the trip. If you found yourself here and were bored, I could come up with some entertaining things, but none of them would be cool enough to make it worth picking that route over another more scenic or more fun drive.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Interestingly enough, the trip I referenced in the first page included a few days in Indiana.. I remember a couple of days in a state park somewhere near the Michigan line. We partied one night at some small bar, I think it may have been in a place called Cunot. Fun times.

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It just seems like, try as we might, Indiana is going to be hard to avoid. I'll let you know.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
LOL I've never been cowhumping, but even cow tipping is overrated. There's not really anything to do in Indiana, to make it worth the trip. If you found yourself here and were bored, I could come up with some entertaining things, but none of them would be cool enough to make it worth picking that route over another more scenic or more fun drive.

rolleyes.gif

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sort of off topic question but, how does one have the time to do such a thing? I went right into the work force after college, I never see myself having two months off, plus having my girlfriend be able to take two months off for the same time period... I feel I will never get a chance to take a trip like this? How/when did everyone else do it? Between jobs? While in college? I would also like to do this before I am old and retired...

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
I never see myself having two months off, plus having my girlfriend be able to take two months off for the same time period... I feel I will never get a chance to take a trip like this? How/when did everyone else do it?

Move to Spain and date either a teacher or a bureaucrat.

B2C2V

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheIdler
Move to Spain and date either a teacher or a bureaucrat.

Or any EU countries? :) My impression of my European friends sure take longer vacation. Look forward to your trip report with lots of pics.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I've gone most of the way in the north and the whole way in the south. hard to say, if you have to choose only one if the north or the south is the better way. you might zigzag a bit, espetially if you have time - go west via toronto to chicago, go south via memphis to new orleans, go west until vegas then north up the mountains and take a small slice east to minneapolis, then go west through the rockies to san fransisco and south to LA. you have the time.

Originally Posted by emptym
I went Northeast to Southwest route w/ a girlfriend one summer and loved it. We more or less alternated nights in a national or state park and nights in a city hotel.

We started in CT and spent the first night camping in the Catskills, then a night in Buffalo (lunch at the Anchor Bar,where buffalo wings were supposedly invented), Niagra Falls, crossed into Canada, spent a night in Stratford for the Shakespeare festival, a couple nights in Toronto, over to Detroit (Ford factory and frog legs), Chicago for a few days (during 4th of July and Taste of Chicago, I think, Wrigley Field, Frank Lloyd Wright's home and studio, the original Ray Kroc McDonald's franchise, etc.), a night camping in Wisconsin (on a dairy farm), a quick trip through Iowa (the endless cornfields had their charm), a wonderful few days in South Dakota (Rushmore, Badlands, Black Hills, Corn Palace, Wall Drug), Wyoming (Devil's Peak, Buffalo burgers, Yellowstone for a couple nights in a cabin, Jackson Hole), Utah (Great Salt Lake, Zyon Nat. Park), Arizona for a bit (Hoover Dam, and before that you could easily see the North Rim of the Grand Canyon--better in the summer than the south rim) and then Las Vegas.

We had a great time. I'm sure you will too. The southern route could be good. I've only done it in the summer, so I went the northern w/ the girlfriend (15 yrs ago) and the middle (last summer--there's a thread about it here on general chat).

Have fun!

Both of these sound like a lot of fun!

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
Sort of off topic question but, how does one have the time to do such a thing? I went right into the work force after college, I never see myself having two months off, plus having my girlfriend be able to take two months off for the same time period... I feel I will never get a chance to take a trip like this? How/when did everyone else do it? Between jobs? While in college? I would also like to do this before I am old and retired...

I know what you mean. Reading this made me a little sad. I want to take two months and do a road trip!

TylerDurden

Reaction score
What kind of car are you going to be doing this?

I'd recommend a convertible of some sort especially when you get to the coastal highways.

For the best experience, a BMW manual transmission convertible. Of course, any convertible could work. But I've done the drive and its great. Even better if you have an ipod connected to your car stereo and full of music you love.

Something I wanna do, but next time i'll have the right car.

9080131.019.Mini2L.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads