• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How should short people dress?

kookydooky

Reaction score
What is flattering for someone that is approx 5'5

What sort of things should you go for?

Whats the longest jacket/coat a short can go for without looking weird?

What should be avoided?

What other tips are there?

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't wear bootcut pants, avoid baggy clothes unless you really know what you're doing, and anything longer than thigh-length coats are going to really emphasize the shortness.

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kookydooky
What is flattering for someone that is approx 5'5

What sort of things should you go for?

Whats the longest jacket/coat a short can go for without looking weird?

What should be avoided?

What other tips are there?

I'm half short (5'11" but 29-30 inseam) so I'll give you my experiences:

Theres a running debate over midrise/lowrise for pant fit.

Lower rise, in my experience, fit shorter leg/longer torso bodies because they may be less of a low rise fit on your shorter frame. However, they can tend to make your legs look shorter.

If you find a good fit, mid rise should be your go to jean because it will help you look longer especially if you are tucking your shirt in. Low rise/shirt tuck on shorter legs is not a good look for most people.

I would say almost all men not wearing boots should avoid most boot cuts. Short men should avoid it like the plague.

I find that cropped/waist length jackets similar to a worker/barracutta style look better on shorter men as well. I know shorter jackets on me make my legs look longer and my upper body shorter.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
short jackets will make you look taller if you're under 5'10". As has been said, stay away from bootcut and baggy jeans because you'll look kind of dumpy. Don't even think of sagging them jawnz.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kookydooky
Who else here is short (state height)

Well I'm 5'8". My legs are pretty stubby, but I've recently been alerted to the fact that my arms are short as well (Thanks StyleForum!) Because of this, shirts that don't fit long on me (there aren't many) can create the paradoxical illusion that I'm incredibly leggy.

Making myself appear non-short isn't my operant consideration in dressing most of the time. Wearing chelsea boots that slim my legs have helped more than anything else, IMO.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 5'1 and I wear whatever I want. Wearing clothes in an attempt to look taller doesn't do it for me. But if you want to look taller/make your height less obvious then I would suggest clothes that don't fit super slim but still fit properly. Also any clear colour/detail breaks lengthwise (bottom to top) will make your height obvious, that is, a waist line, shorts leg line. Basically a single colour/hue will look more endless/infinite than a number of colour blocks as the different colours will make your height more visually obvious. Details work the same way, like markings on a ruler. As I said, I don't really follow these rules, I just keep a mental note of them and where they are easy to work into my outfit, so be it, otherwise I don't care. Hope this helps.

seraphn

Reaction score
kooky, i'm about the same height. like everyone else says, no boot cut, no baggy stuff, no long jackets. if you can, go for skinny stuff.

i wear slim to skinny jeans with untucked shirts, generally. i have a pair of boots that i like and it adds an inch or two, though thats not why i wear them. also - skinny ties if the occasion arises. makes things more propotional.

hard to find good fits generally. i have a hard time finding tops that arent too long, since the trend now is for taller guys to wear s-xs, the length of shirts run 26-27 inches.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
spamz might work for you: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=114885

spam[1].gif

Mazda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
I'm 5'1....usual self indulgent nonsense not worth reading.
And suddenly everything makes sense.

mellowfellow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try to tailor your clothes. Especially jacket sleeves. It will help you look lean. Look out for cropped jackets or boycut style. Some brands like BoO, NDG, phillip lim looks great on small guys.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads