• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How old is this Brioni?

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brioni auction Terribly run auction. I saw it with about 30 minutes to go and almost pulled the trigger on it. But I just didn't have enough info. How old do you think this probably is?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not an expert in tailored clothing, and the pictures are terrible, but judging from the label and the low button stance (hard to make out anything about the lapels, etc... at all, I would say early 90's. Manton or A Harris, please correct me if I'm mistaken.

The Armani, on the other hand, are fairly recent. The labels would put them no earlier than 1999 or 2000.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Pictures were horrible weren't they? So with the description. I'm glad I didn't bid if it were that old. I was thinking maybe it was two or three years old. Notch looked high, but the button stance does appear a little bit low. But with the camera angle it was just hard to tell.

BTW, LA Guy, I stopped into Market on Newbury today. What do you think of that store? I couldn't manage to drag my wife all the way down to Stels. The forces are conspiring against me from ever making it there.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW, LA Guy, I stopped into Market on Newbury today.  What do you think of that store?  I couldn't manage to drag my wife all the way down to Stels.  The forces are conspiring against me from ever making it there.

I haven't been to the new Market on Newbury, but if the South End one is anything to judge by, it's not really my deal.  I like my cuts a little cleaner, detailing more understated; and I have a thing for natural materials in interesting washes and textures.  Market (at least the South End one) is really flamboyant, with lots of synthetics and really (imo) overly detailed pieces, and not really my thing at all.  

If you remember what I was wearing that day we met, that's typically me - earth tones and pretty understated streetwear with natural (as opposed to dayglo) greens and oranges for accent.  Go to Stel's.  Tell them (my real name) that I sent you.  Check out their Corpus and A.P.C. jeans (if they've come in) as well as anything else they have on sale.  Promise your wife something nice from there or a pair of jeans for Jasmine Sola (most extensive collection in Boston, except maybe at Jean Therapy) or something.

BTW, there is an online coupon for 10% off non sale items at Jasmine Sola on their website (must print out) to make it a little below retail, and thus a little more palatable to our sport shopping stomaches.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, there were some pretty flamboyant things. That was wear I saw the Hugo Boss red label shirt -- really the only thing in there that was my bag at all. The guy tried to get me to try on some Hugo "trousers." Not my thing. I passed on the shirt, even though I could've used it. I'll make it to Stel's -- and yes I'll use your real name. I'm off to bed now -- a bit disappointed, because I lost out on the Chester Barrie overcoat auction I was hoping to win.
sad.gif

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm off to bed now -- a bit disappointed, because I lost out on the Chester Barrie overcoat auction I was hoping to win.
sad.gif
Hee hee. Â You and me both. Â I was looking for a coat to alternate with my recently purchased dark gray BB Chesterfield. Â I didn't want to go as high as the winning bid because the coat had some wear, as pointed out by the seller, and seemed a bit on the short side for a Chesterfield.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads