• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How often to spray (water repelent) suede shoes?

Le Samourai

Reaction score
How often would you need to treat suede shoes with spray on water repelent?
Any advice would be great.
Cheers guys.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have done it once for my white bucks...

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've never sprayed mine after about two years of ownership. I don't wear them often, and never wear them in wet conditions, but if I did, I'd probably consider doing so.

Le Samourai

Reaction score
I see, done it once myself, Is that enough though ? I presume after a certian period of time they need a re-spray?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sprayed once a few years ago and don't wear in the rain. I also don't wear them often so I haven't sprayed again..

bc842

Reaction score
I have sprayed mine once about 3 months ago. They are fine. I wear them in poor conditions as well.

Francisco

Reaction score
Some of you mentioned that you don't really have to spray for as yuo don't waer them on wet weather but what if you waer them out in good weather and in the middle the weather turns bad? What will you do? Take off your beloved shoes and walk bare footed under the rain?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Francisco
Some of you mentioned that you don't really have to spray for as yuo don't waer them on wet weather but what if you waer them out in good weather and in the middle the weather turns bad? What will you do? Take off your beloved shoes and walk bare footed under the rain?

I make sure it is sunny and not a chance of rain!

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Francisco
I usually check the forecast before dressing. But even if it should rain, I won't fret over it.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you're in a downpour I doubt a little silicone will help. I have been caught in a monsoon with untreated suede shoes that quickly became drenched. Dried them out overnight, brushed them the next day and they looked great.

Suede is tough.

lefty

calvinloke

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty
If you're in a downpour I doubt a little silicone will help. I have been caught in a monsoon with untreated suede shoes that quickly became drenched. Dried them out overnight, brushed them the next day and they looked great.

Suede is tough.

lefty

+1. Silicone spray only works in light rain. Once it's heavy, no silicone can stop the water from getting into the suede. I'm from a country which rains almost everyday.

shoeme

Reaction score
Its not just for water/rain, the spray also helps against stains from food for example. I spray mine twice when new before wearing, and then once every 3-6 months.

Francisco

Reaction score
Originally Posted by calvinloke
+1. Silicone spray only works in light rain. Once it's heavy, no silicone can stop the water from getting into the suede. I'm from a country which rains almost everyday.

Same same.. I stay in Singapore and I guess our countries weather are more unpredictable compare to the rest..

Reaction score
Can anyone here recommend me a suede shoe protector spray from a UK online company?

Tremont 974

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 599
Can anyone here recommend me a suede shoe protector spray from a UK online company?

I've had my suede chukkas soaked in rainstorms a few times and after letting them air dry and brushing them off they looked like new. I spray my suede once per season and think of it as food and drink spill repellant; it is effective in this regard.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biller Kob