• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much less is a used suit worth?

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I rarely buy anything off ebay, especially clothes... but recently needed several suits and my size (38s) is difficult to find so I've been taking chances.

So far, I've had bad luck. The first suit I purchased appeared mismatched for jacket and pants.

My second attempt on ebay, the suit was sold as NWOT, but it appears used. It has signs of wear on the collar, sleeves, and pockets (including pilling of the wool in these areas), and smells like chemicals (dry cleaners). It also doesn't look like the same suit that was shown on pictures. I'm curious how much less a used suit is typically worth? Should I ask the seller for a partial refund or simply ask to return the suit completely? I paid a not so amazing price (by SF or Gilt standards) for it mainly b/c it was my proper size.

No more ebay for me, SF people and Gilt seem more reliable.

StolenCar

Reaction score
NWOT on ebay is creative marketing 99% of the time. I'd ask for a full refund.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd ask for refund if it's not what was in the pictures. It's more the principle then anything else.

I don't know about clothes but for everything on Ebay I always applied a discount. The risk the seller isn't honest. The risk the seller will take forever to ship. The risk the item gets lost in the post. The risk I don't like the item. It has to be one hell of a deal versus a normal store front before I'd risk Ebay UNLESS I already knew and trusted the seller. Even then I'm not paying extra for shipping etc over the price I can get else where.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NWOT on eBay is the biggest scam ever. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE leave them negative feedback. I sell a decent amount of stuff on eBay that comes from clearance centers. Many times they come w/o tags, so I have to sell it new w/o tags. Most eBay sellers visit thrift stores. They will sell stuff NWOT if there is no visible wear of if the pockets are still basted. They have no idea if it has been worn. Most of them are morons, so they don't have the intelligence to tell if something has been worn. This practice really grinds my gears.
Grinds.jpg
I'd send it back for a full refund and still leave negative if they aren't fully accommodating (return postage, etc.).

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Demand a refund. NWOT should mean it's new, without tags. You got a used without tags item. Get a refund, then leave negative feedback. Don't let them extort you into leaving positive feedback even if they return the item, they lied in their listing and negative feedback is the only way to call them on it.

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds good. I guess I should ask for a refund. Thanks for the advice.

I don't know about clothes but for everything on Ebay I always applied a discount.
I typically do that, except 38s is so difficult to find on SF, on Gilt or even in stores around me for some reason.

They will sell stuff NWOT if there is no visible wear. They have no idea if it has been worn.
I actually wonder if this is what happened. I asked him about the suit appearing used, and he states it was a display model for a while, that is why there are signs of wear and why it smells like chemicals. I'm not sure if this explains the pockets being opened and stretched and the pilling. He is willing to give a refund, but wants me to eat the shipping costs both ways (mine and his).

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sportin_life
I actually wonder if this is what happened. I asked him about the suit appearing used, and he states it was a display model for a while, that is why there are signs of wear and why it smells like chemicals. I'm not sure if this explains the pockets being opened and stretched and the pilling. He is willing to give a refund, but wants me to eat the shipping costs both ways (mine and his).

I get angry reading this. A display is one thing. That doesn't hurt anything. Piling cannot occur from a display. Piling comes from fabric rubbing when you move. Unless the mannequins are robotic, I call bullshit.

I wouldn't accept anything less that full refund w/ shipping (which you will get through a paypal dispute) plus return shipping. You can't get return shipping through paypal, but he may want to cover it to maintain positive feedback.

I don't know why I get so worked up over this, but many eBay sellers are very devious.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if it was a sample or display model it should have been marked as such. there is a difference between "new without tag" and "display"

Lendial

Reaction score
almost everything ive gotten from ebay has been a disasterous or mild dissapointment.

sportin_life

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
almost everything ive gotten from ebay has been a disasterous or mild dissapointment.
That's depressing. I would say about 3/4 of what I've gotten from ebay has been decent, except almost any used items have more wear or problems than advertised. At least now I know to stay away from NWOT. I'll only look for NWT items (assuming people wouldn't wear clothes w/o removing tags, but you never know!)

PTWilliams

Reaction score
I bought a lot of clothes on Ebay and have been pretty pleased. For Brioni and Kiton sports jackets and suits, I would spend about 7% to 10% of retail. Just recently, a $7000 cashmere tweed Brioni sportcoat sold for $250. I knew the jacket because I had purchased a similar one from a person for about $500 used who also told me it was $7K new. I have had to pay as much as 25% for a used Loro Piana jacket (Retail $1900). Two good sellers are "strada11" and "bookster1uk". If you choose a seller with near 100% positive they have a lot of incentive to keep you happy. On the two occasions I needed to return items to an Ebay seller I had no problems.

Two problems to be aware of is fit and color. If its a 38 label and it fits differently than you think it should, its not the sellers fault. Most are upfront about no returns for fit. Second, between the digital pictures and the webpage rendering, you cannot tell the color from the pictures.

Nothing depreciates in price like clothing once used. I think that used clothing on bay can be a bargain because not only does a clothing item need to be desirable, but you are also competing only against other bidders your size.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PTWilliams

Nothing depreciates in price like clothing once used.

Cars.

As per the issue at hand, I only buy from eBay members who have immaculate feedback. It really takes a knowledgeable buyer to succeed at getting the steal of the century on eBay. I've never had that experience before, EVER, and I think thats because I'm overly careful with who I buy from. I also know my measurements, and will never buy an item of clothing without measurements posted.

Some eBay items I've bought in the past:
Oxxford suit $200 lindastuff
Tweed Suits (3) $99.99, $189.99 (three piece), $49.99
Cashmere PRL Jacket $279
DB Tweed Overcoat $40

and I've felt I've scored on them all.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ebay is so mainstream now its almost impossible to get a steal of a deal on ebay for items regularly listed.

A suit loses ~90% of its value once its used. Unless its a Brooks, then it loses differing amounts of value depending on the age. Its weird, I know.

As for your situation, I'd return it. Your clearly not happy. For shopping on ebay, either buy used, or NWT. No point in buying in between. I've had good experiences with the Wizard of Aahs ebay store.

randob300

Reaction score
I consider NWOT=used by default. The only place I would trust a NWOT claim is a trusted seller on B&S.

jreigen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
NWOT on eBay is the biggest scam ever. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE leave them negative feedback.

I sell a decent amount of stuff on eBay that comes from clearance centers. Many times they come w/o tags, so I have to sell it new w/o tags.

Most eBay sellers visit thrift stores. They will sell stuff NWOT if there is no visible wear of if the pockets are still basted. They have no idea if it has been worn. Most of them are morons, so they don't have the intelligence to tell if something has been worn.

This practice really grinds my gears.

Grinds.jpg

I'd send it back for a full refund and still leave negative if they aren't fully accommodating (return postage, etc.).

+1000000

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics