• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much discount is it worth to buying Banana Republic?

Izod32

Reaction score
I use to buy lot of BR clothes for full price few years ago. Such as blazers for $350 regular price etc and i felt pretty stupid later on because everyone says BR is overpriced for the quality. But if there is a big discount, then it is okay. I'm wondering, how much percent off discount would you guys say its okay to buy banana republic clothing? Some people mention only if its 50% off whereas some people say 30% etc. I think most of the time BR has a sale its usually 20 or 25 percent off and nothing more than that.

DGstyles

Reaction score
Everyone will have their opinions. For the quality, high discount percentage. However, for the functionality, that all depends on the eye of the beholder but even the wise person looking for functionality should wait for at least 50% off to reach a quality/functionality equilibrium (my opinion).

Raralith

Reaction score
The only thing I like there are their jeans (I only own 2 and both are BR), and their socks. I've got enough suits, coats, and everything else that even if it were 99% off, I don't think I'd buy it (but I would resell it) for person use. It's just not the quality or style I'm looking for in.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Their t-shirts are good @ 50-60% off
socks @ 80%
the rest is extreme garbage for men on a wife's/girlfriend's leash and not worth a shite
Obviously, if you are a poor student/homeless person, that's a different story

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
A BR piece at $100 will look, feel, and wear the same as that same piece at $200.

Seriously, too much emphasis on cost/value will just result in a wardrobe of discount designer/premium brands with no cohesion. If you like a BR piece, yes, wait for a sale or big discount, which they have frequently, but since it's all pretty cheap to start with, getting that extra 10% off is like 8 bucks you'll be saving.

nxt777

Reaction score
Find a Banana Republic Outlet, same quality but far less price. Also contrary to old perceptions of outlets most of the product is not old BR merchandise BR Outlet merchandise is specifically made and usually at the same factories as BR. It is a great place to get a nice fitting suite on a budget.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any brand is worth full retail if it fits you great. It is worth nothing if it doesn't. Fit, quality, price. That's how I choose clothes.

gotlighters

Reaction score
40% off on full priced dress shirts is worth it for me. Any discount higher, I can never find my size ><

RangerP

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
Any brand is worth full retail if it fits you great. It is worth nothing if it doesn't. Fit, quality, price. That's how I choose clothes.
Sorry Acecow but I'm going to have to disagree, although I know that saying is always repeated her on SF, I don't think it applies to BR/Gap/Old Navy. The reason I say that is by waiting like a month or two, the item you're interested in will inevitably be on sale and there will for sure be an online code that you can use for an additional 35-40 or 50% off. For this reason, I think it's unwise to ever purchase anything from BR unless you can get at least 65% because you will be able to get the item at that price with a bit of patience. I say 65% because like I explained in another thread, items will go on sale 40% frequently and you can then combine them with the online code of 40% that they send out almost every other week. I agree that your philosophy applies to other companies that don't have sales 365 days a year. Although I will admit that I have paid full retail for BR stuff and will keep doing so because of the fit. I know I'm getting ripped off, but I will continue to buy because the fit is perfect. The item in question is: Plain V-neck white/black Ts I've never seen these go on sale (in Canada) and I will continue to buy them in lots of 3 (for the 25% discount that always applies) because they are my favorite undershirts ever. I've tried probably like 15 different companies for v-neck Ts and I like the BR ones the best so I will keep buying them. At 15$ a pop, the are a rip off but whatever. The only other item I don't wait for at least 65% off is their loafer socks. $15 for a pack of 2... I love those things and I won't waist my time waiting for a sale if I need a pair right now. For shirts, if they fit you well, I don't see the harm in paying 65% off. I mean the msrp on them is $80 I think so for 28$, it's not the end of the world. The problem is that odds are the shirts don't fit well. I mean you have to be damn lucky to fit in S/M/L dress shirts. A little ridiculous really. The real ripoffs are the pants and jackets. If you don't wait for at least 80% off, you're wasting your money. Their dress pants should not be marked at $150...They might be worth 30-40$.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nxt777
Find a Banana Republic Outlet, same quality but far less price. Also contrary to old perceptions of outlets most of the product is not old BR merchandise BR Outlet merchandise is specifically made and usually at the same factories as BR. It is a great place to get a nice fitting suite on a budget.
Sorry, but the outlet stuff is generally crap. They are probably made to Old Navy standards or worse...the same or similar styles but with shittier fabrics and construction.

LennonMcCartney

Reaction score
If you don't have a lot of money and can wait for a sale, it's decent stuff. I have three pairs of dress shoes from BR that I got for $20 each, some nice wool ties I got for $3 and some merino wool sweaters for $20.00.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Min 50%. You can do better!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads